Hey guys, I've recently got my hands on two empty 4x12 cabinets on ebay of which I need a courier to pick up and deliver to me. I've never really booked a courier before so it's been a bit of a head scratching experience so far. If it was one cabinet it wouldn't be such a pickle but due to it being two it's been a bit confusing on what's the best way to go about it. So basically has anyone had any experience on shipping items of this size and what tips would you recommend, are any couriers better than others and how much do you think it would roughly cost to have both shipped?

Thanks amigos
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Is it international? How far is the trip? How heavy are the 4x12s?
Check out my band Disturbed
Nope it's all fairly close but not close enough for me to pick them up as my car is too small for both cabs, I'm based in Swansea and the cabs are currently in Devon. The cabs are either 19kg each or a combined weight of 38kg
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Sounds like you should just ask a friend who has a larger vehicle for help and pay them for the gas. That's easily your cheapest option.
Check out my band Disturbed
Rent a pickup truck from uhaul or home depot for $30 and go get em. Shipping by common carrier will be expensive. $150 maybe?? Depending on distance.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Rent a pickup truck from uhaul or home depot for $30 and go get em. Shipping by common carrier will be expensive. $150 maybe?? Depending on distance.

In the UK your looking around £150 to rent a van for the day, then another £70-80 on fuel. So nearly $400.
Exactamondo Malchius is correct, wouldn't exactly work out cheaper to hire a van just to pick them up, I'd have to pay my own petrol then too which wouldn't make it worth it either.
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Try parcels2go - they do comparisons of all the main couriers. Then you'll just have to make sure the guy you're buying off packages them sufficiently.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There's no UHaul equivalent in the UK? Like here you can get a van for a few hours for $30 plus gas.

Nope. Like Malchius said, you're looking at a minimum of £150 per day, and if you're under 25 you will probably have to at least double that cost.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jun 16, 2014,
Yeah, knowing the exact location and distance results in much more relevant responses. Those cabs just got real expensive. Skateboard??

Just curious, why would anyone buy guitar cabs that they would be physically unable to transport to a gig? I never really understood this.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 16, 2014,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Shitty deal.

It is what it is

There's probably other things we get cheap that other countries don't, most things even out over time.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Cajun Daddy = I am able to get 1 4x12 around just fine right now and I'll have a van ready for my bands tour soon but not for another couple of months. I've bought the two cabs as a project with the intent to sell one on besides I don't HAVE to use all the cabs I have live, some I like to put different speakers in for recording purposes.

Helpful responses are welcome, if you have nothing relevant to the matter why post?
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

B&Q/Hertz rent vans by the hour at £14 an hour CLICK HERE

ive just used google maps and noted its around 3 hours each way between 'swansea' and 'devon', so let's say you use it for 8 hours giving time to have a stop for food and wrestling cabs into and out of van etc £14 per hour over 8 hours is £112 plus fuel you're looking at about £40-50 so an outlay of circa £160

however using google and googling "van hire swansea" you can go to Northgate Vehicle Hire and get a 'small van' for £25 a day or a 'medium van' for £40 a day so adding £50 fuel into the mix thats £50-£75 all in

where you got the impression it was £150 for a van for a day i have no idea, and vans being diesel are a lot more economical than you think. £40-£50 of diesel should see you through that trip and then some.

hope this helped
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
get a donkey
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Parcel2Go is probably your best bet you'd likely have to make it two consignments due to the nature of the items. I know Parcelforce do collection and delivery for around the £15 mark, so looking at around £30 for the two of them.
Thank you Dempsey68 and beatreebor I'll look into your suggestions
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab