Hello everyone...

I am considering to buy one of those babies. I am flying V fan, i already possess a Dean Vmnt-x which is the cheapest version of the Vmnt, and i can say its a pretty good metal guitar for its value, REALLY good!!!

So the Vmnt has a mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard and a set neck construction compared to Jackson which consists of an alder body with a maple top and a 3 pieces maple neck construction (graphite reinforced) and an ebony fretboard as well.

As far as the electronics are concerned the Vmnt bears the S.D. Dave must livewires and the jackson has EMGs 81 and 89.

I really like both of them, they almost cost the same, but i dont have the ability to play both of them and compare by myself cause their not that common for a store to have in stock. As I ve said I already own a Vmnt-x and i get the filling that the most expensive one Vmnt is going to be grate, but never played with a Jackson Before.

I forgot to mention that the non-USA Deans are usually made in Korea and Indonesia and the Jacksons I think in Japan if that plays a part....and that i mostly play thrash and death metal

It would be really helpful if someone who has experienced those two axes gave his point of view.
The golden rule is try it before you buy it. Find a place near you where you can try the Jackson as well as the Dean and just get whichever you like better.
My personal choice would be the King V, but that's just me
Since I've sensed a quite strong Mustaine-fan vibe I would also suggest trying the LTD V model (whatever is its actual name) as it's almost exactly the same as Mustaine's ESP sig., just without Dave's signature on the headstock, the 8-ball inlay and it has EMGs instead of SDs. And it's a very nice guitar as well. At least the model i tried.

Also I don't think any current Jackson's export model are made in Japan, but I may be wrong. Plus (not sure about the neck-throughs) I think that all of the exports have basswood bodies now as opposite to alder bodies of the USA series (or poplar if they were made in the 80's-90's).
Still they are nice guitars (I'm actually considering buying one as a back-up for my old Jackson).
Last edited by tsc86 at Jun 16, 2014,
King V. By far. I'd buy that guitar just to look at it.
Quote by tsc86

Also I don't think any current Jackson's export model are made in Japan, but I may be wrong. Plus (not sure about the neck-throughs) I think that all of the exports have basswood bodies now as opposite to alder bodies of the USA series (or poplar if they were made in the 80's-90's).

The Pro series King V's have Alder bodies.

The modern pro series Dinkys are made in Mexico. The rest of the pro series are made in Indonesia.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
See, now you know everything. Also that's 2 for King V 0 for the Dean.
Thanks for your answers guys...well yeah I am Mustaine fan...cant help it

Well judging only from the looks i'd buy the VMNT Fear edition it looks awesome!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526EHWzvwG0

To be honest I believe that both guitars are quite good for sure...its the detail that we are all after.
My biggest consideration here is the pickups. The EMGs are very popular and used by many artists so i believe that someone can play a variety of metal music, not quite sure about the S.D. Must Livewires though....

I am a Megadeth fan but dont wanna play only Megadeth and I m not sure whether these pickups are suitable for achieving different kinds of metal tones (thrash,death etc) or only a perfect Megadeth tone. And also about the wood quality, not sure which one is better (mahogany or Alder) so that i can also assess the price of each guitar and see whats better to buy. There is no doubt that Jackson has proved their quality over the years...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
King V. By far. I'd buy that guitar just to look at it.

You seem quite certain...have you tried any of them?
Quote by metalpup

My biggest consideration here is the pickups. The EMGs are very popular and used by many artists so i believe that someone can play a variety of metal music, not quite sure about the S.D. Must Livewires though....

EMG's are very popular, but they're popular for a reason. For high gain, they rip. Especially when they're 18v modded, which is quite possibly the easiest mod you can ever do to a guitar, and it doesn't require any permanent modification whatsoever.

I'm sure the Livewires will do just fine too. But really whatever pickups are in the guitars, none of that matters if your amp isn't up to scratch.

I am a Megadeth fan but dont wanna play only Megadeth and I m not sure whether these pickups are suitable for achieving different kinds of metal tones (thrash,death etc) or only a perfect Megadeth tone.

Again, that depends a lot more on if your amp can pull of those sorts of tones just on its own.
And also about the wood quality, not sure which one is better (mahogany or Alder) so that i can also assess the price of each guitar and see whats better to buy. There is no doubt that Jackson has proved their quality over the years...

Wood is a matter of personal taste. Assuming you're going to have lots and lots of gain on tap, woods aren't as important as any difference the material creates is hidden by the distortion. Alder and mahogany are fine.
Quote by metalpup
You seem quite certain...have you tried any of them?

I haven't. But in my defense, it is very hard to find the new Pro series Jacksons in stores because they've only been released fairly recently. So retail stores have had little chance to stock them in significant numbers. I have played dozens of the old MIJ pros, which are fantastic guitars. So I really, really want to like the new ones, I just haven't had the chance to play one yet.

The reason I'd have the Jackson is because the Dean you've chosen is a signature guitar. The Dave Mustaine Dean V's make themselves very obvious that they're signature. It's fine if you're just playing at home, but when you're playing in a band, it makes the guitar look like you're a wannabe, and that's very unprofessional.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 16, 2014,
The reason I'd have the Jackson is because the Dean you've chosen is a signature guitar. The Dave Mustaine Dean V's make themselves very obvious that they're signature. It's fine if you're just playing at home, but when you're playing in a band, it looks unprofessional.

While I don't completely agree with the last phrase, I have to say that- even as a fan of Dean guitars, I'd probably go with the Jackson over it because you usually get more bang for the buck avoiding sig models.

(I'd probably also look at the Vs from Fernandes guitars, too.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What about the differences in the necks? The Jackson has a compound radius neck - better to grip power chords on the low frets and more speed on the upper frets.

Never played a Dean, or that particular model. Most of the Jackson necks are the same compound radius. See if there is a Dinky stocked at a local store and try it out to get a feel for it.

As per the wood, as I understand things the Active pickups let little to no sound from the wood come through - you just hear the pickups.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Once again thank you all for you answers!

I mentioned the wood quality cause as i ve seen mahogany is mostly used in the more expensive guitars thats why i though that maybe the mahogany bodies are better than the alder ones. Furthermore i ve read that mahogany produces a darker tone than the alder body which is brighter and more soloist...

I think I ll go for the Jackson and maybe upgrade the one i own (Vmnt-x) by changing the pickups...I think a seymour duncan Sh-6 distortion set would be ok so that i can "touch" the quality of the more expensive Vmnt.

One more question....the new Jackson king V models are the kvmg and the kvmgq...apart from the available colours i cant spot any other differences (same woods, same pickups), and the second one is a bit more expensive...does anyone know why? The only thing that I don't like on these particular models is that on the fretboard they use aluminoid shark fins and not pearl which are more shiny and glamorous
Last edited by metalpup at Jun 19, 2014,
Quote by metalpup
Once again thank you all for you answers!

I mentioned the wood quality cause as i ve seen mahogany is mostly used in the more expensive guitars thats why i though that maybe the mahogany bodies are better than the alder ones. Furthermore i ve read that mahogany produces a darker tone than the alder body which is brighter and more soloist...

I think I ll go for the Jackson and maybe upgrade the one i own (Vmnt-x) by changing the pickups...I think a seymour duncan Sh-6 distortion set would be ok so that i can "touch" the quality of the more expensive Vmnt.

One more question....the new Jackson king V models are the kvmg and the kvmgq...apart from the available colours i cant spot any other differences (same woods, same pickups), and the second one is a bit more expensive...does anyone know why? The only thing that I don't like on these particular models is that on the fretboard they use aluminoid shark fins and not pearl which are more shiny and glamorous

The woods is a matter of preference and what tone they're going for. Jackson uses alder on most of their guitars. It's quite balanced tonally, quite light, quite easy to get hold of. Just generally good, really.

The clue's in the name on the two Jackson models - the 'Q' stands for quilted maple. The price difference is pretty much down to it being slightly more expensive to do a trans finish over a quilted maple veneer. I don't think there's any other difference.
Personally I'd go for the Jackson - not a fan of Deans. That said, the VMNTs are supposed to be pretty solid quality.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.