Well, i know u guys wont recommend using a tuner whilst bending a note, but thats what i m doing & i wud be grateful if u guys are willing to help me out with a slight problem >>> i intend to bend the Bflat on the G string (3rd fret) to Bsharp (5th fret). I need to know how can the needle on my tuner indicate my reaching the target note (Bsharp)...wud it be when the needle points halfway to the middle of the arc or is it the middle of the arc itself or could it be way beyond to the other end ?
I am in a fix, gentlemen Any help wud be appreciated.
Last edited by RitwijM at Jun 16, 2014,
I personally would try to stay away from a 2 semitone bend that close to the nut (3rd fret). I guess it can be done, but it's going to be harder than, say, the same bend at the 8th fret. So you could instead do the same bend on the D string (8th fret).

Also, I assume you want to use a tuner because you lack confidence in your ear? I say this because the obvious method for doing this would be to play the note two semitones higher, like in this case G string (5th fret), and then immediately do your bend on the 3rd fret and stop when it matches what you heard from the G string (5th fret). And go back and forth between them to reinforce that you are getting the pitch right.

If you cannot trust your ear to tell you if you have got this right, then it is even better to do it this way, as it also will help give you that ear training.

Also, when I use tuners, I use ones that display the note name. Cleartunes for iPhone is like $1.99. Then if I wanted to do what you were doing, I would actually see the higher note come up as I do my bend (from Bb to B to C). So I can't help with your question, except maybe you want to think about getting a tuner that's simpler to read.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
^Thanx for taking the time I admit i lack confidence in my ears & that the excellent aural exercise u suggested for getting a bent pitch right should hv been my course of learning too. But since it isnt, i still hv to rely on digital ears for some time, at least. Thanx anyway.
Last edited by RitwijM at Jun 19, 2014,
You'll gain nothing from using a tuner to gauge your bends, you need to stop using it and start using your ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You'll gain nothing from using a tuner to gauge your bends, you need to stop using it and start using your ears.

The question wasnt about what can prove futile in the long run & what can not. Thanx for taking the effort, though
When you're first starting out and can't yet hear the difference between a note that's bent pretty close vs. right on, there's nothing wrong with using a tuner to double-check.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice about that particular tuner though, other than to get one that displays actual note names like Krm27 said.
If you have a smart phone you can get free tuners from the app store. You can also download a tuner for your pc if you can plug your guitar into it or have a mic. analogue tuners are bogus.
Quote by Victorgeiger
If you have a smart phone you can get free tuners from the app store. You can also download a tuner for your pc if you can plug your guitar into it or have a mic. analogue tuners are bogus.

Thanx for the advice I will go get a few of them from the google play store & check if they are sensitive enough. Hope it helps thanx again.
Quote by RitwijM
The question wasnt about what can prove futile in the long run & what can not. Thanx for taking the effort, though

Any sensible advice given to you would prove futile for the advisor, it seems.
Quote by gtc83
When you're first starting out and can't yet hear the difference between a note that's bent pretty close vs. right on, there's nothing wrong with using a tuner to double-check.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice about that particular tuner though, other than to get one that displays actual note names like Krm27 said.

Thanx for taking the time I wud definitely have a go at some of the tuner apps tonight and see if they display the note names.
Quote by Jehannum
Any sensible advice given to you would prove futile for the advisor, it seems.

Thank you for your worthy judgement.
Last edited by RitwijM at Jun 17, 2014,
If you can, get your hand on something that will sound out the pitch you're trying to bend to. A laptop with GarageBand or a tone generator for an iPhone, whatever. Set it to play the note you're bending to, and just keep bending other notes until you hear the match. This will give you some exactness and also train your ears for little $.

Most often (but not always) in the context of a song, you will be bending while other instruments are filling the space with some essence of the notes that you would bend to. Thus, practicing bending to another sound would really help.

Otherwise, there are great tuners that indicate pitch over a wide range.
since this is about bending i may as well ask here instead creating a new topic...
so i'm basically always using the play pitch bend to pitch approach up and down the neck (except for like fret 1-3/4) and the boredom of this totally freaks out on me and i cant seem to find some versatile and fun exercise for bending that incorporates more fun to it.

you might suggest learning solos but learning solos usually means im playing a few bends in fixed positions instead of getting the most out of it up and down the neck besides that somebody already said to try avoid bending at the lower frets but i seem to encounter bends on the low frets on a regular basis in real music (like jimmy pages solo in heartbreaker, the tabs i got for it suggest bending 2 whole steps at the 2nd fret which is either wrong or seems sheer impossible to me) so any advice on bendings on the lowest frets would be welcome as well
what gauge of strings are you using? bending will be harder at the lower frets but if you're using super thick strings that really won't help bending.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
reular 10-46s i tried 09s and 11s while the 09s are dissatisfying to me soundwise the 11s are a pain in the ass to play if u like to use bending quite common in moderate to fast stuff
and sorry the 2 whole step bend in heartbreaker was at the 4th fret not the 2nd but still i find that insane hard
Quote by gh0ul666
reular 10-46s i tried 09s and 11s while the 09s are dissatisfying to me soundwise the 11s are a pain in the ass to play if u like to use bending quite common in moderate to fast stuff
and sorry the 2 whole step bend in heartbreaker was at the 4th fret not the 2nd but still i find that insane hard

Dude just keep practicing that's all it really takes man.
yeah

though it's a judgement call as to whether the tone of 10s is enough better to justify not being able to bend properly. it's up to you. i used 9s exclusively for years, for example. even still i prefer them given the option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?