Hi everyone, I am currently trying to start a Psychedelic-blues-garage band, and I have been trying to decide on what kind of amp to use. Right now I have a Peavy Vypyr 15, but the problem is it doesn't quite have the ability to create a good fuzzed-out guitar tone, in the style of Psychedelic Blues Artists from the 1960's and 70's. When it comes to budget, I'm between $100-$350, so I'm not looking for anything too big, just something that can play from small to medium gigs. Any advice would be fantastic, thanks, bye.
Get yourself a Fender Rampart, or Laney Cub12R, or any small one-channel tube amp.

Then you put some money aside to buy a nice reverb pedal, a delay, a phaser and a wah. Fuzz is also desired for Psych Rock.

All that together with any pasive pick-up in a guitar, old or new and you are golden.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I see Egnater Tweaker 15s going for $200-250 now, that'd work well for you I bet. Marshall Class 5 and Peavey Classic 30 go for a lil more but would also be good. I'm curious though, what is "psychedelic garage blues"?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I see Egnater Tweaker 15s going for $200-250 now, that'd work well for you I bet. Marshall Class 5 and Peavey Classic 30 go for a lil more but would also be good. I'm curious though, what is "psychedelic garage blues"?

By that I mean that we are going to play those three genres in particular.
Quote by toby0914
By that I mean that we are going to play those three genres in particular.

Oh, I see. I'm a bit disappointed though, psychedelicgarageblues seems like it'd sound pretty interesting.*Anyways, good luck on your amp hunt.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Alright, so I've been looking at amps, and I think that I'm going to go with the Fender Champion 100, it just has a lot of great features and is very affordable.
Beware of the cheap + features equation when buying, it usually = garbage. Not to say it is in this case, but its the norm.
Well, from what I've read about this amp, it's received unanimously positive reviews.
Most of the Acid Rock (as it was called back then) bands of the mid- to late- 60's used either Marshall amplifiers, or (at the end of the period), you saw quite a few Orange amplifiers. Remember that back in the tie-dyed days, there just were not as many choices for them in the amplifier department as there are today. Don't limit yourself to what they had back then.

Blues guitarists generally hold that a tube amplifier is a must. If you are going to play the Blues, and if you want that "soulful" overdrive, then you probably should stick with a tube amplifier. Low wattage would be the way to go. The big guns are just too loud when you crank them to get that distortion.

For Garage band tunes, the Fender Champion 100 might be a good choice. it is definitely capable of the "raw" sound associated with that genre.

One amplifier for all three? Hmm. Since you seem to like Fender amplifiers, I would go for a Twin Reverb. They are great amplifiers, and they last forever. They are loud, but you can dial them down and the Twin is legendary for taking effects pedals (like distortion and wah, which you will be using) very well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 8, 2014,
Well, I've looked into the twin reverb amp, as much as I think they're fantastic amps, I can't afford one for the life of me. I've been looking at the Champion because it's the best for my price range.
Not really. $350 could get you an Egnater Tweaker/Rebel(maybe), Peavey Classic 30, Laney AOR, Marshall Class 5, Peavey Tube Vyper, Fender BJr, HRD, various Jet City amps, and more. You just gotta know where and what to look for.
Yeah, I guess you're right, I ought to look into those amps you suggested.
Fender Blues Jr. Really good 60s/70s tone and just enough amp to gig.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I try to get the same tone. I use a VOX AC4TV with an octavio, fuzz face, wah wah and phaser. Upgrading to an AC30 (really expensive though). Don't really know what to tell you but I've heard that orange amps are great for it.
Quote by jdenmo
I try to get the same tone. I use a VOX AC4TV with an octavio, fuzz face, wah wah and phaser. Upgrading to an AC30 (really expensive though). Don't really know what to tell you but I've heard that orange amps are great for it.

Are you in the midwest (US)? I'm in Cleveland and Ive seen a couple AC30s for sale locally, one was $500, the other $600. AC15s are really nice too (add that to your $350 amp list to check out too, TS).
Quote by Cajundaddy
Fender Blues Jr. Really good 60s/70s tone and just enough amp to gig.

+1

With a good fuzz it'd be perfect and it can be found for around $300 used regularly.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah the blues jr. from what I've seen of it just has an absolutely KILLER tone, I've also been looking at the Marshall Class 5, which seems pretty good as well. I'm definitely going to be looking at those amps.
My father in law plays through a blues Jr . it is a great sound to build on with effects. I love that little amp. Plenty loud, too.