i have quite a nice martin that my dad got for me before he passed away. I've started practicing about 3 hours a day gearing up for my first performances. i've also started to learn a few percussive elements. this guitar is obviously pretty important to me and I'm worried about how it'll hold up 10 15 20 years down the line with constant playing. Anyone owned a martin/expensive guitar for a decent amount of time? how did it hold up?
Don't worry, just play it. As much as you want. Enjoy it. That's what it was made for.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
it's a guitar. it's meant to be played. eventually, it's going to need a neck reset. that happens whether you play it or not. it's too nice not to be played. I try to spend some time with my higher end ones whenever I'm home. I have a nice car and truck that were both built for specific purposes. I use them the way they were designed to be used. if just stuck them in the garage, that'd be a hell of a waste of money!!!
take it out, play it, enjoy the hell out of it.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
My Dad had a Martin for forty years... (by brother's got it now, hell he got everything after Dad passed away, but so it is,) and the last time I saw it it was 'still' in perfect playing/sounding condition. And man...that guitar got PLAYED. My Dad of course played it (he played gospel music at our church) plus both me and my brother learned to play on it.

After all these years...still sweet as can be. Play it and enjoy!
i've played martins from the 1920 through 1940s that were still playing just fine, and even played 2 from 1911. play your guitar and enjoy
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Martins only get better the more u play them, so that being said, keep in doing what your doing man.
Just play it, and put some pennies in your piggy bank (about $500 at today's values) for the day when it needs a neck reset. Many 300 yo violins are near-priceless and still being played regularly, but they need repairs and maintenance. IMO, that is just part of the price/responsibility of owning good musical instruments, you play it and fix it when necessary.
It wasn't that long ago that I saw a piece on Martin guitars on a TV. There was a guy there playing one made over a century ago, and man what a tone.

They're guitars. Guitars are built to be played.
Quote by Tony Done
Just play it, and put some pennies in your piggy bank (about $500 at today's values) for the day when it needs a neck reset. Many 300 yo violins are near-priceless and still being played regularly, but they need repairs and maintenance. IMO, that is just part of the price/responsibility of owning good musical instruments, you play it and fix it when necessary.

It's like owning a classic car. Why keep it parked on the garage just to look at it?
Enjoy the drives, and when it breaks down, just fix it. Then take it back on the road.

I completely agree with the "responsibility" part. It's a nice thing to take pleasure from using good stuff, but do the proper maintenance so that future generations have access to it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Cedar top guitars do play out after 20 or so years of heavy playing. Spruce top guitars don't really play out, they just get damaged from road wear and falling off stands and what not.

Not playing a guitar at all actually does more damage to the instrument then playing it hard every day.

So play your guitar as much as you like it should still last your whole life
Not taking any online orders.