I'm looking at Gibson Les Pauls and I can understand the neck and body differences, but really confused about the pickups.

I see some of their guitars have metal covers on top which I would call humbucker pickups. Then some of their guitars have 2 pickups side by side with no cover on them they are calling humbucker pickups as well. They look like coil pickups.

I'm really clueless about pickups, what types there are, and what the purpose of each type is. Is it possible to get a rundown somewhere?

I'm most interested in how it applies to Gibson Les Paul guitars made over the past few years specificially, but generalizations would help too.
Humbuckers can be either covered or open, if you see two single coils like that next to each other then it's a humbucker.

The covers tend to be an aesthetic choice but some people say they remove a little top-end as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Humbuckers can be either covered or open, if you see two single coils like that next to each other then it's a humbucker.

The covers tend to be an aesthetic choice but some people say they remove a little top-end as well.

+1

It's also worth mentioning that there are single coil sized humbuckers which look either like a squashed up uncovered humbucker or those that look like a regular single coils (otherwise known as 'stacked' humbuckers or 'hum cancelling' single coils).