So I finally manned up and bought my first all tube amp. I tried out a fender hot rod deluxe, fender vaporizer, fender blues Jr, blackstar club 40, vox ac15, a little blackheart head and cabinet(big 5?),peavey windsor, and finally a valve king.

I went with the valve king because it sounded great to me with minimal tweaking right out of the box. I liked that it had 2 channels unlike the vaporizer and blues Jr. I never did like the blackstar much. The blackheart sounded suprisingly good... But at only 5 watts I just felt I wanted more. The Windsor just sounded totally flat and lifeless to me. I really liked the sounds of the hot rod deluxe, the vox 15, and the valve king. So at less then half the price of the deluxe and vox it seemed like a no brainer.

I really like the clean... Crisp, clear, and loud. and how the lead can go from a nice fuzz to a gritty fierce dirt.

I know all online reviews MUST be taken with a grain of salt. But just looking for outstanding issues with the valve king really the only negatives I noticed were about the speaker. Has anyone ever replaced one? What are some suggestions? I GOTTA have nice clean sparkling cleans. And I'm after a blusey/ grunge distortion. Not death metal or screamo type shit....

Oh. And is it weird that my clean channel seems noticeably louder then my lead channel? I thought it was weird. I have a lot of tweaking still to do... Is that the issue?
Sparkly cleans and blues distortion?
Didn't WGS make an alnico blue copy?
Anyway, yeah, the alnico blue's the first one that comes to my mind, but that's unreasonably expensive so you might just go for a greenback or a greenback copy.

The different channels' loudness might be related to pre-gain settings, so check your gain knobs.
The speaker does a pretty noticeable difference, imo really worth the expense.

Also the blackheart you're talking about's called little giant
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Little giant. That's it. I couldn't remember for the life of me what it was called.

Obviously I'm gonna spend some more time dialing things before I replace the speaker but it is something I see myself doing anyway. I know speakers usually make a big difference so it was something I was thinking before I even bought it just to bring out the best of what the amp can offer.

I don't plan on buying another amp for quite some time unless this thing shits the bed or I some how strike it rich. I don't gig just horse around with friends so I really couldn't see myself spending 700+$.

In my town I really don't have any way to test speakers. I would most likely order it from musician's friend or some other website. I hear really good things about eminence. And it seems like they are high quality at a better price point then celestions. Not ruling out celestions...but I can't really see muself putting putting a 200$ speaker in a 300$ amp. But 100 or a little more doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a red coat wizard or governor or man o war or Texas heat or any other suggestions. But I will check out the green backs too
Last edited by Smigzy at Jun 16, 2014,
A lot of people like the V30 type speakers with the VK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ well they usually do, but
Quote by Smigzy
I GOTTA have nice clean sparkling cleans. And I'm after a blusey/ grunge distortion. Not death metal or screamo type shit....
And I wouldn't really get v30s for that.
I mean, v30s aren't renown for their amazing cleans nor real bluesy distortion AFAIK.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've been running Governors for quite awhile now. They are based on V 30s but are not as harsh in the upper mids/highs and perhaps have more low end (basically, they are an improved V30 lol). Cleans are brighter and more clear than stock Peavey speakers.

Overdrive/distortion wise they have a nice grind that sounds great for everything from classic rock to metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Spambot_2
Sparkly cleans and blues distortion?
Didn't WGS make an alnico blue copy?
Anyway, yeah, the alnico blue's the first one that comes to my mind, but that's unreasonably expensive so you might just go for a greenback or a greenback copy.

that's overkill in a cheapish amp like a VK, surely?

i'd get something g12h30-ish. It'd need to be one of the higher wattage versions, though. Eminence, WGS and celestion (much more expensive, again probably overkill) both make higher wattage G12h30-style speakers.

I haven't tried a g12h30 in a valveking, though, i should add. I'm just basing that on the speakers i've tried and with the amps I've tried. a g12h30 works pretty well for cleans (better than most celestions) as it's not as middy and is a bit more open-sounding and has a fair bit of top-end, but it also sounds fairly british for dirt, too.

Does he want a more american- or british-type tone, though? There are american-voiced speakers which will also do what he wants if he wants a more american type of tone.

Quote by Spambot_2
^ well they usually do, but
And I wouldn't really get v30s for that.
I mean, v30s aren't renown for their amazing cleans nor real bluesy distortion AFAIK.

agreed. I haven't tried the governor, though- i'm just talking about the celestion v30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's alot of cheap little things to improve the amp as well, dummy jack in the a/b input, patch cable in the effects loop, and make good use of the texture control on the back of the amp, it's the heart and soul of that amp.

I've been using a WGS V-30 in my VK for I don't know how long, great speaker, it'll get you whatever tone you want, awesome cleans, tight middy distortion, smooth highs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
@Ethan hanus...sounds like you are well versed with the VK. I never heard of the patch cable in the effects or or the dummy Jack in the A/B. Can you tell me more about what it does... What effect does it have. Or where I can find that info?

Thanks everyone for the input. Definitely widened my perspective of what kinds of speakers to look at. I appriciate all the responses. Great input
this is practically the VK bible.

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/Amp+Tricks+and+Suggestions

lots of info. make sure you read the safety section. even an unplugged amp can store lethal voltages in the caps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/