I am looking forward to getting my Marshall jcm 2000 tsl 60 watt head delivered this week. I have played one before In A small guitar shop here in kcmo.
I thought it sounded really good. Maybe it's not an 800 but I liked it enough that I eventually found one online and paid $599+shipping for it.
Every where I look I see soso reviews on the tsl and praising the dsl. Where are the 'TSL' lovers? What are some good settings I can look forward to? Do you have any advise that I can borrow?
The reason is that it doesn't sound like a Marshall and is a very poor substitute for a Mesa, which is the market they were going for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I actually like the tsl
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I have only played one a few times,but I picked up a 1960ax with the greenbacks a while back so I have been looking for a low wattage marshall head for some time and decided on this one.
I feel like that should be a fairly respectable combination if I do say so myself. And I have several overdrive pedals (ts9,OCD,blues driver,and a few others if for some reason I think the tone needs a little extra something.
It needs a DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lol,ok, well the 'TSL' is on the truck right now making the 1000 mile trip to my front door. So for better or worse I am rooting 'team triple lead' hahaha! Does anyone have any specific advise for me as far as settings go?
The TSL is a decent amp, but the DSL has that JCM800 vibe in the channels. And if you read about them, they are quite different. The DSL was designed to have a clean mode, JCM800 mode (classic channel), and the 2 modes on the lead channel are hot rod JCM800 circuits
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The TSL is a pretty scooped amp. First thing I'd do is replace all the preamp tubes with JJ ECC83S tubes - unless of course you are actually going for the Nu metal thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Get a decent set of tubes for it, it can make or break the TSL

Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and JJ Ecc83 in V2/3 and Sovtek 12ax7LPS in the PI. SED EL34 in the power section or JJE34L if you don't want to shell out $200 for power tubes. You may also want to try a JJ5751 or NOS JAN GE/Phillips 5715 in V1 if you find the amp gets fizzy on you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't mind a scooped sound, I won't know till I get it if it still has stock tubes or not.
And if it does I will probably want to replace them before to long anyhow. Thanks for the tip
Which reminds me of another question I had, how long did the marshall make the Tsl 60 head? From when to when?
From the late 1990's to 09/10

Look at the serial number when you get it the first couple of numbers will give you the year
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If it was made prior to 2003 you'll want to change out the rectifier with a bigger heatsinked one too. Unless you need a space heater that is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah they fixed the rectifier issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tracking info has it scheduled to arrive buy end of day Thursday. I will spend the next three days wondering what year mine was made. Hahaha thanks lol
Ok so I have some pics and one of them has the serial number... 2001 so what exactly is this rectifier defect? Please expand a little does it over heat or just get hot? I'm just a home jammer, I haven't played in a band for a long time. Is it something I should be seriously concerned with?
I gets so hot that it scorches the board. If you're lucky it will have already been replaced. You'll have to open it up and look, no other way to tell.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm trying to find info on it. So far one of the over heating issues I have found seems to be contained to the motherboard of the 100 watt models. Do you think my 60 water may have been spared such horrible fate lol
I'm pretty sure that every JCM2000 prior to 2003 had the same issue, even the little DSL401.
It's a job for somebody with a steady hand. You have to lift the board, remove the rectifier, drill/ream out the holes in the PCB to take the bigger rectifier, fit the heatsink and put it back together.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
from the one TSL i played i thought it sounded to fizzy, with a lot of low end "push" but not much "punch" with not a whole lot of mids. other than that, the clean and crunch channels i though were pretty damn good.

my JSX has quite a bit of fizz unless you dial out quite a bit of treble, gain, and boost it then run it out, but then it sound pretty awesome.
That's over my head, if j tried to do a mode like that I would end up with a $600 pile of dead amp. Thanks for the heads up but I will just have to hope mine doesn't ...melt my board, geez what a nightmare that would be.
Soooo um does anyone have anything positive to say about this amp I just bought,you guys are killing me lol!
They'll hold open a pretty heavy door.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hahahaha! Funny guy lol. Well that would be par for the course there is something wrong with my peavey Valveking and it sounds like **** that was the whole reason I started to look for another head, and having a pretty nice cab I went with marshall
I'm going to stay positive right up until I smell smoke
You can see if it has been fixed, if it hasn't then just take it to a tech. It might cost you a bit but it's worth it if it saves your amp from getting destroyed.

FWIW I have heard the TSLs make good noises, I haven't played one myself but I think you'll find some sounds you like.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah. It's the little round black button looking thing near the power transformer (or if fixed, probably square with a little heatsink attached.) You'll be able to find it because the board will have a dark scorch mark under it. Look for that and you'll see it sitting right in the middle.
If you take a photo of it we can tell you pretty quickly. Keep your fingers out of there though. There's no bleed resistor on those so the caps will stay charged for a while. No gerfingerpokin inside the chassis. Just slide it out, take the photo and slide it back in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 17, 2014,
I'm finding a lot of threads talking about how the combos are the main culprits because the heat from the tubes runs back up into the already sensitive rectifier
The combos are worse but it still aint right. It's a design flaw, they chose the wrong rectifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification