Page 1 of 2
Okay so here is the scoop:

I am 25, been playing since I was 16, NEVER played with another human being EVER. I got my first guitar from the trash, it was a crappy "RokAXE" strat copy, I have never read tabs and I don't know how to, I don't know chords, I do not know anything AT ALL, I play what sounds good to MY ear, I don't even know if I am keeping in a correct rhythm. It really sucks to think that I wasted all 9 years of playing, I play every day for at least 30 mins on a busy day, and for hours and hours when I have time.

What I want to do:

Is make something I can do solo, I have an opportunity to get auditioned by a record label 99% because of who I know, and connections I have made. I am doing all of my own stuff solo, even though I cannot figure out how to get Cubase le5 to record, I have a FULL recording studio outfitted in my mobile home with 3 mics, 2 guitars, 1 Djembe, 4 Congas, 6 different styles of acoustic ranging from dobro to archtop.

I want to play music and have a full song, I do my own vocals, (I love my voice as I hear it in my head) But it comes out bad on cell phone recording, and I would swear someone else did it, because that is not how I sound at all in my head, maybe I really do not sound as good as I think. IDK,

I want to know what I should learn, I cannot afford to pay for music lessons, and a free lesson I took, the guy said "Play me your best stuff" and I did, and he said "MAN all you need is the ability to sweep and add variation to rhythm and you got it" But a broke person getting paid will say anything to get more $

I do have a guitar I do not want, that I am willing to sell for $250.00 with case, but I don't need the $, I think maybe I t would be worthwhile to trade it for lessons. But I don't know where to start, anyone offering lessons is asking $25.00 per hour so that is 10 1 hour lessons, I need to know what I should request to learn.

I really REALLLY need some honest advice, I hate working, I work in a factory for minimum wage because my 2 college degrees mean nothing. ALL I want to do is play music, if I make money I would be happy, I take my guitar to work everyday, and play all day at work on my breaks, I really do not care if I make it pro, I just need to express some rage I have built up from some bad situations I have encountered, and I do not know how to progress further, I feel like I am putting out 25% of what I can do, and I always am amazingly shy about my playing, in addition I don't even know what a metronome is besides a ticking sound, I never have had one, nor used one, for a fact I have never even touched one or seen one in person, it's like a mythical beast to me.

I hope that someone has had this issue before, I mean am I the only one who went completely nomad on guitar and did their own thing, never reading a book, or looking up any tutorial? Please help me, as I really need this, I do not need it for fame or money, I need it to keep my sanity, I need it to feel complete, I feel like I am alone in the world and no one loves me except my own music, I feel so complete and full when I play, like time doesn't exist, like the world could **** off (Excuse vulgarity) while I play, Time passes so fast when I play, But I find that I am being repetitive on what I like to play, I keep to the same area on the guitar (Specifically around 7-14th notation bars or frets or w/e)

I would like to try out for this 3 song demo thing I have an opportunity to do, but I am so scared that I am not any good, and I suck. I mean I love what I play, and I could care less if anyone else likes it, but let's be realistic, I work in a HEAVY labour factory, and by the time I get home from making little to no money, just enough to get by! I am so tired I can barely play anything, I really would love to just make one thing that sounds nice, and do it all solo, like drums, and vocals, and guitar, and w/e instrument I can add. I have never played anything I cannot make sound good to ME. IDK if others think so, but I do. Maybe I am in love with myself, and that's why I like what I play,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with anything you can, do not let me rot away in a factory playing the same sound over and over, I need help, and I need to be able to let it ALL out, not just some, Sometimes I get really freaking mad, and want to slam my guitar on the ground because I cannot make it sound like what I feel....... I may have anger problems, but I want to make them constructive instead of destructive, I have been blessed with a REAL nice assortment of instruments, from friends, and family who have invested in me. I feel ashamed I am not better, I mean I am utterly depressed because I feel I am not even up to par with a basic rhythm, although I don't even know what that is.

I am rambling a lot, because I don't know how to explain what is wrong, and what I want to do, if you had this problem, please please share with me, please help me. I am in desperate need of guidance!

thank you very much for bearing through this tedious I am sure post. I appreciate any advice.

PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU CAN HELP ME.

I hate it when people say "DUDE LEARN SCALES OR CHORDS" I need more info, I need your story, I need your info on how you came to be what you are, I do not need basic directions, I need something I can relate to, I need someone who understands what is wrong with what I am doing, and can say "Hey dude, I know exactly how you feel, and this is how I was able to get through it"

Please keep trolling to a minimum, because it just hurts me, and makes me feel singled out, like I am the only one like this..... IDK maybe I am.

So just in advance, regarding your economic situation and lack of time and power to produce, i cant really help with that but as far as your music goes, here are my 2 cents:

How many songs have you written that you honestly thought were good?
As you put it you have an opportunity here to showcase 3 song demos to a record label, first of all, thats pretty nice, but then again in today's media society it's not really that much of a big deal, since there are way more labels(indie) and way more ways to get your music out there. Which definitely works in your favor.

So judging from your post you dont really have finished song material that you could put up anywhere right? So get on that!
You got the equipment, so what you need to do in my opinion, is lean how to record with your software, its really not that hard. There are literally TONS of videos on youtube about almost any subject regarding Digital Workstations.

As you do this, keep working on songs, and then record them, work on the arrangements, its all do-able by yourself, you dont even need to learn any advanced theory to make great songs.
You also say you like your own voice, thats great, not alot of people do.
Everybody sounds weird when they first hear recordings of themselves, on a cell phone especially. Record your voice as your songs develop, mix it properly and then decide if you like it or not.

Since you wanna do it all alone, this is what you gotta do. i do recommend you to learn basic music theory AND to play with other people though by the way, but that's of course up to you.

You say you cant get the sound you feel. Meditate(not physically) on those feelings and find out how exactly you envision this sound that you're looking for. What instruments are there, how is it structured etc. as far as getting depressed and mad about your own musical ideas, once again, playing with other people helps with that a lot, it takes of the pressure a whole lot and you are able to contribute and bounce of other peoples ideas.
Last edited by Ignore at Jun 17, 2014,
Ok well I started playing at age 16 and am 25 now and can relate. I screwed up a hell of a lot along the way and never had any real professional lessons or anything. It was all just searching online...asking people on forums, watching videos, reading some books, and just thinking for as long as it took for me to figure it out.

If I knew what I knew now I would be so much better. Well what do I wish I knew and what am I saying you should know? Understand BASIC music theory better, by that I mean the fundamentals of music. Then after you get that down you can start coming up with riffs and musical ideas/phrases that mean something to you. From your post it sounds a lot like how I used to be. I did not know jack shit about anything. I did not know what a bass guitar role was, I did not understand rhythm and not understanding rhymtn is a HUGE mistake. Basically I did not understand a damn thing.

Many people will explain rhythm very similar to others...but there is a visual aspect to it and once you see it , it is so damn simple you would be amazed at how you could not understand it.

Believe it or not...music is a very structured thing. At first it seems like some magical thing only certain people can do. WRONG.

So from the sound of your post I would be 99% confident that you will improve tremendously if you just learn the fundamentals of music, and it is just going to take some time after that for you to develop as a musician and be able to speak the language of music.

Sometimes it can be pretty easy just to noodle around on guitar for god knows how long and expect something magical to happen...I found out the hard way it doesn't quite work that way. Maybe for some...but for the others no.
Last edited by Unreal T at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by pks330

I am 25, been playing since I was 16, NEVER played with another human being EVER. I got my first guitar from the trash, it was a crappy "RokAXE" strat copy, I have never read tabs and I don't know how to, I don't know chords, I do not know anything AT ALL, I play what sounds good to MY ear, I don't even know if I am keeping in a correct rhythm. It really sucks to think that I wasted all 9 years of playing, I play every day for at least 30 mins on a busy day, and for hours and hours when I have time.

What I want to do:

Is make something I can do solo, I have an opportunity to get auditioned by a record label 99% because of who I know, and connections I have made. I am doing all of my own stuff solo, even though I cannot figure out how to get Cubase le5 to record, I have a FULL recording studio outfitted in my mobile home with 3 mics, 2 guitars, 1 Djembe, 4 Congas, 6 different styles of acoustic ranging from dobro to archtop.

I want to play music and have a full song, I do my own vocals, (I love my voice as I hear it in my head) But it comes out bad on cell phone recording, and I would swear someone else did it, because that is not how I sound at all in my head, maybe I really do not sound as good as I think. IDK,

I want to know what I should learn, I cannot afford to pay for music lessons, and a free lesson I took, the guy said "Play me your best stuff" and I did, and he said "MAN all you need is the ability to sweep and add variation to rhythm and you got it" But a broke person getting paid will say anything to get more $

I do have a guitar I do not want, that I am willing to sell for $250.00 with case, but I don't need the $, I think maybe I t would be worthwhile to trade it for lessons. But I don't know where to start, anyone offering lessons is asking $25.00 per hour so that is 10 1 hour lessons, I need to know what I should request to learn.

I really REALLLY need some honest advice, I hate working, I work in a factory for minimum wage because my 2 college degrees mean nothing. ALL I want to do is play music, if I make money I would be happy, I take my guitar to work everyday, and play all day at work on my breaks, I really do not care if I make it pro, I just need to express some rage I have built up from some bad situations I have encountered, and I do not know how to progress further, I feel like I am putting out 25% of what I can do, and I always am amazingly shy about my playing, in addition I don't even know what a metronome is besides a ticking sound, I never have had one, nor used one, for a fact I have never even touched one or seen one in person, it's like a mythical beast to me.

I hope that someone has had this issue before, I mean am I the only one who went completely nomad on guitar and did their own thing, never reading a book, or looking up any tutorial? Please help me, as I really need this, I do not need it for fame or money, I need it to keep my sanity, I need it to feel complete, I feel like I am alone in the world and no one loves me except my own music, I feel so complete and full when I play, like time doesn't exist, like the world could **** off (Excuse vulgarity) while I play, Time passes so fast when I play, But I find that I am being repetitive on what I like to play, I keep to the same area on the guitar (Specifically around 7-14th notation bars or frets or w/e)

I would like to try out for this 3 song demo thing I have an opportunity to do, but I am so scared that I am not any good, and I suck. I mean I love what I play, and I could care less if anyone else likes it, but let's be realistic, I work in a HEAVY labour factory, and by the time I get home from making little to no money, just enough to get by! I am so tired I can barely play anything, I really would love to just make one thing that sounds nice, and do it all solo, like drums, and vocals, and guitar, and w/e instrument I can add. I have never played anything I cannot make sound good to ME. IDK if others think so, but I do. Maybe I am in love with myself, and that's why I like what I play,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with anything you can, do not let me rot away in a factory playing the same sound over and over, I need help, and I need to be able to let it ALL out, not just some, Sometimes I get really freaking mad, and want to slam my guitar on the ground because I cannot make it sound like what I feel....... I may have anger problems, but I want to make them constructive instead of destructive, I have been blessed with a REAL nice assortment of instruments, from friends, and family who have invested in me. I feel ashamed I am not better, I mean I am utterly depressed because I feel I am not even up to par with a basic rhythm, although I don't even know what that is.

I am rambling a lot, because I don't know how to explain what is wrong, and what I want to do, if you had this problem, please please share with me, please help me. I am in desperate need of guidance!

thank you very much for bearing through this tedious I am sure post. I appreciate any advice.

I hate it when people say "DUDE LEARN SCALES OR CHORDS" I need more info, I need your story, I need your info on how you came to be what you are, I do not need basic directions, I need something I can relate to, I need someone who understands what is wrong with what I am doing, and can say "Hey dude, I know exactly how you feel, and this is how I was able to get through it"

Please keep trolling to a minimum, because it just hurts me, and makes me feel singled out, like I am the only one like this..... IDK maybe I am.

I feel sympathy for you I'll help you out all you really need for now is this

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php Justin is one the best guitar teachers out there, and he's perfect for self taught players. From what I've read you said you pretty much don't know a single thing about the guitar not even chords or scales.. So the beginner course will teach you everything that you're missing how to use a metronome, chords, scales strumming patterns everything you need to know.

Here's the thing you've might have been playing for 9 years, but your musical knowledge isn't no where even near a beginner level so this course without a doubt will help you out. In my honest opinion I think Justin's website is one of the best guitar learning material out there use it well my friend.
Quote by koslack
There is no way this is real. Grade A trolling, though. Good stuff.

+1
Post a recording here and we can judge you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Post a recording here and we can judge you.

This is real, and I will post a recording. I am seriously ignorant on everything about guitar, I literally just play what sounds good. I know I must be using some chords, and some known notes, but which IDK, I cannot play other peoples music, I play my own. That is all.

I think I play metal or rock I am not sure.

What do I use??

Epiphone Les paul prophecy GX first run custom shop with coil taps!
Orange Dual terror tube head
Orange ppc112 Cab
Ibanez Rg-3ex1
Casio LK-220
Lexicon Alpha with Cubase LE5
Sterling 2 piece mic set, and a random karoke machine mic I snagged from my little sister as a spare or backup.

I will throw up a short recording of something, maybe you can tell me if I am in any rhythm or not. This is just guitar, no drums etc. Check back in about 30 mins for recording, Currently my epiphone has 3 stretched out strings so I'll be doing this with my Ibanez. Recording will be from my cell phone until I can figure out Cubase which actually has little to no info on LE5 that I can find.

AND ty for the web link I will check that out, I hate feeling like I have to start where noobs would start first learning, but if it will help I will do it! I have the determination and perseverance to make this work out!
^ You can't play other people's music? What have you been playing for all these years?

If you have a good ear, shouldn't you be able to figure out other bands' songs by ear?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Actually, not playing other people's music is not that bad. At least though learn a verse section or chorus section...or the solo to get the sound under your fingers. Sometimes it is a HELL of a lot more fun writing your own stuff especially if it means something to you. When learning other people's music, unless you can improv around some parts and are free to make it your own...it becomes sort of boring.
I'll give u benefit of the doubt,u seem to have a lot of gear for someone that doesn't know anything,why not start with something simple like audacity,it's not the best but it will get u started on the basics of recording,u can add tracks and record extra track while playing back,that might get the ball rolling,I find it odd that u don't play with anyone else,It took me along time but fate brought me to,old school friends who both happen to be drummers,u def need a drummer if u want to get better,even having someone playing with u will get u fastracked
Quote by austhrax
I'll give u benefit of the doubt,u seem to have a lot of gear for someone that doesn't know anything,why not start with something simple like audacity,it's not the best but it will get u started on the basics of recording,u can add tracks and record extra track while playing back,that might get the ball rolling,I find it odd that u don't play with anyone else,It took me along time but fate brought me to,old school friends who both happen to be drummers,u def need a drummer if u want to get better,even having someone playing with u will get u fastracked

The issue I have found is that I cannot play while listening to someone else play, I have went to a jam session, and I got mad and left, because they started playing, and I couldn't. Maybe if I am in rhythm, they were not, or other way around. I am not sure, and I have heard good things about audacity, but I do not know if my interface is able to be used with anything but my software. Anyways

Here is link that took both arms and legs to figure out how to transfer from cell phone because it is 5 seconds too long.... 1.05 mins, Just a short sample.

(Invalid img)

by the way if you want to watch video it is mostly of my ceiling, but at start it shows my nifty amp and broke string guitar for a sec. Scroll way down on page, idk why it did that, probably from phone.

And I do not play by ear to others music, I play by ear to mine, I can say the only thing I know how to play is the very beginning of Funky music by wild cherry, but it took forever to figure out to pull the strings and let them slap the neck. Other than that no I cannot play anything by anyone else lol.

I for the most part sat in a basement with a guitar and played by myself when I was mad or angry, or happy, or any other emotion I needed to get out.

now that I think of it I should specify what I mean by I play by ear, Example. I do not like how it sounds if I play The E string on the 3rd fret then 4th then 2nd, it just does not sound like it fits. I know all sounds have a place and a purpose, but I think it's like a puzzle that you piece together, you cannot force the pieces of a puzzle or it will look funny. Like Going from high E 2nd fret to 3rd fret to 2nd fret sounds like it fits though, better than the other above.

As a side note, and this is last edit I promise, I am not sure if my guitar is in tune, I learned how to tune string to string from a 1930's blues guitar book on tuning I read at a friends, was about 4 pages long, said for Standard E tune the A string to 5th fret on E string and the same for the rest except the B string which should be tuned to the 4th fret of the G string. However the book never said how to tune the low E string, so I pretty much just leave it where it is and tune the rest accordingly, so I have no idea what tuning I am using, And I only know string names from a pneumonic a friend told me.

Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually
Last edited by pks330 at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by pks330

What I want to do:

I've bolded the most egregious BS. Two college degrees and he works in a factory, I can buy. Two college degrees and can't put together a coherent sentence? Not so much.
Also, the whole bit about owning a recording studio (in his trailer!) and not being able to work Cubase? I don't often use the phrase "lol," but it just so perfectly sums up the sarcastic laughter that that bit inspired in me.
I am sorry that I don't care about my grammar on a Guitar website, I didn't remember ever posting this to a spell checker, and grammar correction website. I have a associates in Business admin, and a Bachelors in Marketing, even with 2 degrees, it is HARD to find work that will pay well. I got a job at a factory instantly for min wage, when I didn't get a single call back from the hundreds of resumes I sent out, tons of interviews I did, which goes to show that Education although necessary for furthering your career, is not the only option. Maybe in time I will find a nice job that uses my schooling, but for now I am where I am, and I have no regrets. I do what I must to survive. Crucify me if you want, but it just shows your weakness, not mine.

As well, I do own a studio, that I can't work, and what if I lived in a trailer, what does it matter, this post is nothing about my means of living, nor how I live, can you be more judgmental? I would like to think I am a human being too, but as far as I can tell you think I am a piece of shit. Thanks sir! You help me keep faith in humanity!!!!!

Cubase has NO info, NO tutorial, NO how to guides, and the support over the phone sucks badly, so I would assume I am not the only one who has issues with it, but since I paid for it, I would like to use it.

MAYBE, Just MAYBE, since you are a pro. Can you help me with my Cubase issues????

I plug in guitar, I hear it through my headphones, I select record, I hear myself playing. I stop recording, I press play..... Silence...... no sound, just white noise static.
You want to record in cubase? Well do you have an audio interface to hook your guitar up to your pc? If you do just hook it up and select it in the settings in Cubase. Now once you have Cubase Running you are going to need some guitar effects software (this is what I do, I am sure there are other ways too such as not using effect software) I highly recommend Amplitube 3. Then basically you just add an audio track that you want to record on after you have loaded up Amplitube 3 into the track. Arm for recording then just hit record.

Now, just recording a guitar and nothing else may be not your cup of tea so you may want to have a drum track to record along with. Well, there is drum software you can get...I highly recommend Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer...they have excellent midi packs which consist of a boatload of drum beats that will keep you busy forever. Rock beats, Hard Rock, Metal beats, Pop beats, divided up into verse beats chorus beats bridge beats , fills etc. all in different tempos and time sigs.

That riff thing you played sounds like it should be in something like a 4/4 time sig so load up a drum beat and play it against it to get it in solid timing and it would sound a lot better.
Quote by Unreal T
You want to record in cubase? Well do you have an audio interface to hook your guitar up to your pc? If you do just hook it up and select it in the settings in Cubase. Now once you have Cubase Running you are going to need some guitar effects software (this is what I do, I am sure there are other ways too such as not using effect software) I highly recommend Amplitube 3. Then basically you just add an audio track that you want to record on after you have loaded up Amplitube 3 into the track. Arm for recording then just hit record.

Now, just recording a guitar and nothing else may be not your cup of tea so you may want to have a drum track to record along with. Well, there is drum software you can get...I highly recommend Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer...they have excellent midi packs which consist of a boatload of drum beats that will keep you busy forever. Rock beats, Hard Rock, Metal beats, Pop beats, divided up into verse beats chorus beats bridge beats , fills etc. all in different tempos and time sigs.

This is what I have:

Lexicon Alpha interface, which came with my Cubase le5,

I select start new project
then I select record
(After instrument is plugged in)

I then can hear my guitar in my headphones, and I can hear it while I record, but when I press playback I hear nothing, I don't know why it is recording, but I hear nothing recorded.... Customer service said "Replace instrument cable, or input jack on guitar" I did both for a decent penny considering I have like no money to work with, and took me 3 months to save up for the $150.00 it cost me to do this to my guitar and cable, and stil no results, and yes I complained to company that they didn't help me, and they owe me $150.00 for bad advice, and they said., oh that's on you not us.... we are here for solutions, and if we cannot fix it, it's probably your fault.....

One of the worst customer services ever...... I can say if I ever buy or can afford a new interface I will NEVER buy Steinberg again, as they are just scammers I think.

ty for listening to what I played! Can you tell me, Do I sound okay for no info on music? What timing am I in if you had to guess? I mean I know nothing, I know what 4/4 is I think, I play the same note 4 times and do that for 4 different notes ( I am using the word note loosely) I really have no idea what to do, I am so nervous about this audition I have, I mean I love my friend for getting me the chance to do this, he says he loves how I play, the honestness and the unpredictability of it, which I don't know what that means, but I enjoy people enjoying what I can offer. But I really want to get good at every aspect of guitar.. He my friend did make me mad, he said "DUDE, if this audition goes bad, I think you should apply for a power rangers soundtrack.......".............
Ok you are probably not hearing anything because you didn't turn off the monitoring. On your audio track there is a record button and on the right of that there is a monitor button. You need to make sure it is turned off when you playback.

Sounds like your in 4/4 in the range of 110bpm-120bpm. From 13 seconds to 20 seconds mark it sounded off time because to me your eighth notes are sounding off which throws it out...that is just what I am hearing though. Just fire up a drum track and you should be able to work it into good timing. That is one purpose of the drums..to keep good timing.
Quote by Unreal T
Ok you are probably not hearing anything because you didn't turn off the monitoring. On your audio track there is a record button and on the right of that there is a monitor button. You need to make sure it is turned off when you playback.

Sounds like your in 4/4 at about 114 bpm. From 13 seconds to 20 seconds mark it sounded off time because to me your eighth notes are sounding off which throws it out...that is just what I am hearing though. Just fire up a drum track at you should be able to work it into good timing.

You posted one of the most helpful comments ever! I thank you so much!

I had a digital pedal which I could control tempo, but I could never figure out how fast I was playing, and yes at a point I am pretty sure it is the part where I hammered and slided to next fret without any low E muting, I cant explain the sound through words but around: 35-36 second mark, I did that on random mode lol. You have helped me to narrow down how to add in things at different times, and I will inspect Cubase and see if that solves my issue! You said 13-20 seconds it sounded off, I think this may be because I sweat on my hands when I play and pick slides making me pause for a fraction of a second, which throws it off, but I wanted like a climactic sound, like I was building up to RAWR lol.
I am posting this as last message of the night, I think for all of the people who posted for onle one to comment you either all think I am horrid, or decent based on what I said above. which is all 100% true, I would love to hear any other thoughts and opinions, as they can only help me, but please be honest and not bash me, Just simpley move along. tell me I suck if you want, but please be respectful about it if you can. Here is another link if you don't wanna scroll around.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/xxsatanxx/media/10493248_780768758623897_1954290478_n_zps0ceb2d48.mp4.html

If you want tabs I have a friend who knows what those are and how to make them, I can ask him to do so for me while I play so, I will post em up if you want. As for sheet music I do not know ANYONE who knows it so sorry but sheet music users, your out of luck.

Happy jamming fellow musicians
Here's the key to those who make it and those who won't. Both will try.

The person that makes it, says "I will do...." The person that doesn't, makes these "conditions" and states that the universe must somehow fit into those conditions for it to work for you. The person that doesn't and won't says "no". The person that will, cannot until they say yes.

Nothing is going to help you until you get that. It could and might cost everything, but you're not going to get there in a La Z boy chair.

Best,

Sean
Quote by pks330
I am sorry that I don't care about my grammar on a Guitar website, I didn't remember ever posting this to a spell checker, and grammar correction website. I have a associates in Business admin, and a Bachelors in Marketing, even with 2 degrees, it is HARD to find work that will pay well. I got a job at a factory instantly for min wage, when I didn't get a single call back from the hundreds of resumes I sent out, tons of interviews I did, which goes to show that Education although necessary for furthering your career, is not the only option. Maybe in time I will find a nice job that uses my schooling, but for now I am where I am, and I have no regrets. I do what I must to survive. Crucify me if you want, but it just shows your weakness, not mine.

As well, I do own a studio, that I can't work, and what if I lived in a trailer, what does it matter, this post is nothing about my means of living, nor how I live, can you be more judgmental? I would like to think I am a human being too, but as far as I can tell you think I am a piece of shit. Thanks sir! You help me keep faith in humanity!!!!!

Cubase has NO info, NO tutorial, NO how to guides, and the support over the phone sucks badly, so I would assume I am not the only one who has issues with it, but since I paid for it, I would like to use it.

MAYBE, Just MAYBE, since you are a pro. Can you help me with my Cubase issues????

I plug in guitar, I hear it through my headphones, I select record, I hear myself playing. I stop recording, I press play..... Silence...... no sound, just white noise static.

Two business degrees and you've used "start-up" money (for lack of a better term) to purchase thousands of dollars of equipment that you've plugged into a machine you don't know how to use?
They're right. The American education system is failing.
You asked about the recording... Well, it sounded OK, didn't sound bad. But I can't tell how good or bad you are just based on that. That was pretty basic riffing.

And by playing by ear I mean that you have a melody in your mind and you can play it on your guitar exactly like you hear it. Or you hear a song and can play a part of it just by listening to it. That's playing by ear. It's not random, you know how the notes you are going to play will sound like.

Of course listening to your playing is a part of playing by ear. But to me it kind of feels like you are playing a bit random notes and using your ears to hear if they sound good or bad. But you may not know what they are going to sound like before you play them. This is just the feeling I got from your posts.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by koslack
Two business degrees and you've used "start-up" money (for lack of a better term) to purchase thousands of dollars of equipment that you've plugged into a machine you don't know how to use?
They're right. The American education system is failing.

I think that you should learn to read, because if you could. You would remember I said most of my gear was given to me. I did not purchase it, and I have had it longer than I have had my degrees. So no the education system is not failing me, but I think it may have long since gave up hope on you. FYI here is a list of some professional musicians with college degrees, MOST degrees have nothing to do with music.

Bad Relegion: Greg Graffin
Queen: Brian May
Kenney Chesney
Boston: tom Scholz
The Greatful Dead: John Perry Barlow
the Eagles: Joe walsh
Velvet underground: Lou reed, and Sterling Morrison
Rage against the machine: Tom Morello .
Offspring: Dexter Holland
Radiohead: Colin Greenwood

I listed a fraction of the ones who hold degrees. However I would like to point out, I am not putting all of my eggs in one basket, I do not want to play for famr per say, , as I really just want to play. I love music and it helps me in a lot of ways. Now if I can get a career doing what I love, why shouldn't I?

Now since you decide to judge me, and criticize what I do. I have a question for you Koslack. You list your band name in your sig, your profile has over 1,400 views, you have posted over 750 times, and if I am not mistaken your latest thread was about giving up on music for college.... But I think I know why, all those views, Thousands on your threads, and only 179 likes about your bands existence on your "Official" facebook..... Why so many views, and why so few likes? Must burn like a bitch I would bet.

And you are partially right, I don't know how to use my software, which is a big part, but I know how to use my ears, my fingers, my head, and my initiative. I am determined and I won't let anyone even myself stand in my way.

now to the real comments which are constructive.

I can hear a sound or a tune in my head and play it on guitar, but I also can just pick up the guitar, and my fingers are kind of guided by my ear, I don't usually play off key notes or sounds, they just kind of all flow together. It is like I already know what things go together, and now it is just reflex. But for others music, the problem I have is it is hard for me to separate out the instruments when I listen, especially if I cannot get to hear the guitar part played slow, I am a fast learner, but I cannot hear something, and then instantly replicate it, otherwise I'd be rich lol. However I do listen to other's music and pick up on some techniques I think, it is how I learned hammering, and sliding, and u sing different picks for different sounds, etc. But I do play a lot of random things, for example I made up part of the recording on the spot that I did. And the quality of the recording was terrible because of my phone. I would like to think I have the ability to play well, but I need to get a grasp on what I am doing. I could be playing a Major Chord for all I know, and I would have no clue, I know it sounds good, I know I like using said string of notes. But I think others have been right, I have the makings, so does anyone, all I need is to get back what I skipped over when I chose to be a social loner and play solo with no help for years. Maybe it was pride, maybe it was just stupidity, but I tend to lean towards, I just really love to play, and I have never before even considered playing professionally before my friend got this opportunity for me. So these are all preliminary jitters because now is the time when I can make everything change, and all I have to do is try hard enough. I will succeed if I know I will.
This is a general warning. If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread and are only going to post negative presumptions about the TS then don't post. Keep it positive, keep it constructive.
Si
Fine, I'll keep it constructive.
You have no experience playing with others. When called upon to do so, you left in frustration. You have a couple of songs you wrote, and a voice that even you acknowledge is not as good outside of your head.
Even assuming you have lucked into some kind of audition with a major label (and I'm rolling my eyes pretty damn hard at that one), you have nothing to offer them. Ever hear the expression "You only get one chance at a first impression?" Seems to me that you're about to blow yours.
So if you're serious about this (and again, super dubious about all of it), you need to spend the next few years actually figuring this stuff out. There are a million guitar tutorials online. Pick one. There is a downloadable instruction manual for Cubase. Read it. There are tons of open mics and other events at which you can jam with musicians. Go to them.
Then, in several years, once you've mastered this, you can think about going to this audition.
Well...koslack's recent post is constructive but I would not call it very positive. No need to be so harsh.
Quote by Unreal T
Well...koslack's recent post is constructive but I would not call it very positive. No need to be so harsh.

I would normally agree, but I think clearly some tough love/reality check is in order here. There is simply no way the OP is ready for professional level performance or recording. There is no way a major or indie label is going to sign him, because he is not at all ready and is not at a professional level. Professionals gig, have albums, bands and experience.

If the OP is serious about becoming a professional player, than he needs to put in several solid years of serious and intense study, gigging, and practice - he needs to pay his dues.

OP - I would highly recommend that you do not audition for anything at present, you need to walk before you can run.
Last edited by reverb66 at Jun 19, 2014,
The OP doesn't even know how to play chords he doesn't know how to count rhythms. I agree with everyone that posted you really need to work on yourself seriously I posted a course that would really help you out.. I don't understand why anyone would want to sign a person that can't even play in time how do you expect to put out records if you can't even play in 4/4 timing? No offense to you dude, but you really have some catching up to do if I were you I'd stop worrying, and get to working on understanding music.

By the way playing other peoples music is a good way to learn new licks, and phrasings there's too much benefits. In other ways it can challenge your chops it's great to study other musicians that's how you build a solid style.. Playing with other people is also a great way to learn plus it's fun to jam out with others! If you can't play in time then no one will want to jam with you lol!

Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 19, 2014,
Quote by koslack
Fine, I'll keep it constructive.
You have no experience playing with others. When called upon to do so, you left in frustration. You have a couple of songs you wrote, and a voice that even you acknowledge is not as good outside of your head.
Even assuming you have lucked into some kind of audition with a major label (and I'm rolling my eyes pretty damn hard at that one), you have nothing to offer them. Ever hear the expression "You only get one chance at a first impression?" Seems to me that you're about to blow yours.
So if you're serious about this (and again, super dubious about all of it), you need to spend the next few years actually figuring this stuff out. There are a million guitar tutorials online. Pick one. There is a downloadable instruction manual for Cubase. Read it. There are tons of open mics and other events at which you can jam with musicians. Go to them.
Then, in several years, once you've mastered this, you can think about going to this audition.

1. You can't figure out how to make your band work, any advice you give ultimately leads to failure as seen by your efforts.
2. I don't care, don't believe me, think I suck, whatever you want to do man. Roll your eyes all day, but at the end of the day this isn't A polygraph test, this is a forum where I asked a question.
3. I may not know If I am in 4/4 time, but considering I play along with built in drums from my keyboard, I would say I have some sense of timing. But even if I didn't Can anyone tell me the definition of Mathcore?
4. I have one chance right soon to audition, If I fail I lose nothing as the audition is not promised at all any time after, it took my friend a lot of effort to help me with this, and why would I waste his time. Go big or go home.

Let's say this:

I am a math genius, I know numbers in an out 100%, but I don't know the names of the formulas, but I know how nd when to use them. Does that make me not a math genius?

Well now apply that to guitar. Obviously I am not a guitar genius, nor am I an idiot like you all portray, But please please, DIRECT me to the nearest "This is how you hold a guitar" tutorial, because obviously that's where I should start according to most of you.

I firmly believe a few things. 1. If you believe you will achieve 2. If you succeed be humble 3. Do not do anything in the interest of gain only, make sure it means something to you.

Now having said that. I would like to clear up a few things that may confuse some of you.

I am not walking onto a stage and playing my guitar, I am not walking in front of a panel of judges, plugging in my amp, and playing..

Here is the requirements of my audition:

(3) 2:30 minute or more tracks recorded onto a media material, Such as a CD, or SD card. Video of at least one of the tracks, broken down into pieces per instrument.

that's ALL! Nothing more. I mean have any of the people commenting EVER Auditioned for a label...... Is this not a common practice? Send a demo? I think maybe the only difference is, I am going to meet them and be there when they check it all out.

As far as my voice, This is another attempt to try and use things I say to support your argument, but your only using the part that helps it. I recorded my voice on a cell phone, of course it won't sound the same, Of course it won't be studio quality, Of course it won't be mixed or edited, (which I can't do, but I have a friend who can)

Not all music is technically superior to all others, and I am not asking how to be jimi Hendrix. I am asking where to pick up from. However I think all the answers but one were just people trying to be internet tough guys because they are so much more successful than me, and they know how to name what they play.

I will post up when I have a better understanding of myself and my guitar's relationship, and how we mesh together. As I am trying to do this the best I can, within a short amount of time.

IN RE to right above my post: to anyone saying I do not know how to play chords, I DO NOT KNOW THE NAMES OF THE ONES I PLAY, can you please take a course in reading. This does not mean I do not know how to play, this means I don't know if what I play is a E chord, or Z Chord, I don't know.

If I want to do this on my own without other band members so be it, WHY do I need a band to be good at music? Why do I need a band to make a song, WHY? Has there never been anyone who has done all of it themselves?

BTW: not all music is so different from the rest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
Last edited by pks330 at Jun 19, 2014,
Maybe you should upload a clip of your playing along with a drum track? I remember when I didn't know if I was in time until I started studying rhythm...I will tell you right now it is SO MUCH better to understand it rather than be guessing at it. I honestly think that kind of thing makes or breaks a great musician. So if you want to be a better musician do whatever the hell you can to understand rhythm not just by sound, but visually as well. It is like reading a ruler...but just in terms of lengths of sound. You will be glad you did.
Last edited by Unreal T at Jun 19, 2014,
Yes I think it will be a lot easier that way, I know mathcore is unusual time signatures, but it is only possible if you have a drummer who can do it, or someone who make make custom tracks to your guitar, I think my main area of concern with drums and rhythm is my time played without them as an aid, I want to play fast, which I can, but I need to be able to play fast to a rhythm. I can only play slow right now, basic rhythms on drums. I would like to get my fast picking sounds with them as well, I mean it would be nice to get some double bass to play to, but even then I can only do simple things (I tried with a random backing track on youtube) I like to think that my music is comprised of a variance of note, and I like the technicality of it, I want to make music that is personal to me, I don't want a pop song about gangsters and hoes, because I have no hoes, nor am I a gangster, even if it would sell, it would be considered a sell-out to me. I will do my best to get a track recorded with both, but seeing as I can't get Cubase to record, even with the manual I got with it, I don't know how easy it will be. because I will have to use my keyboard and record from a phone. I mean this all would be SO much easier if I could just click. (Record music from guitar) I click it, and it records, then I plug in keyboard (Click record), then I click (Combine clips overlapped and synced for start and end differences) ( I think that is called quantize)

One thing I never got was this: How many notes can I play within one "Tick" or should my notes meet the "Ticks" So if I wanna play fast, should I set the metronome on my keyboard to go "tick, tick, tick ,tick" or "Tick......Tick.....Tick.....Tick" and just play a lot of notes in-between each. I do the same thing to my vocals and guitar, I have one full track with guitar and drums I can make from my old guitar pedal which I no longer have, but I recorded it all separate, drums first, then rhythm guitar, then lead, then I was able to do vocals over it.

By the way if it helps, I want to play fast metal, my vocals, I use Vocal fry singing, and vocal fry screams, as well as harmonious vocals (IE: no raspy sound)
I think what I must do is breakdown and pay for some lessons just to get an idea of what I am doing wrong, Telling you all how I play, and showing a 1 min clip, is not at all going to get me where I need to be. I already know a lot, not by terms of Check this out I can play an E chord, but check this string of sounds out, they sound good together. I think a in person demonstration would do way more justice to my cause. I hate to think I used any outside physical help on my music, but I think I am near being forced to because of starting solo all alone. From what I understand there are a lot of people, and I mean like 99% of people who do one thing wrong initially and develop the habbit around it, and it screws EVERYTHING else up completely, and fixing that ONE thing, could mean the difference between sucking, and being Great. Shit I could be a master at guitar, but I could be doing something as simple as picking too fast and my left fretting hand cant keep up, or I have to pause to keep up, or maybe I am literally holding my pick wrong, maybe I mute too much. I do not know lol. But I will strongly consider paying a tutor to help me fix my errors, but my only concern is that someone will take advantage of me not knowing anything, and say more is wrong than there is, and making me take excessive hours, when it could be simple, and a quick fix, like adjusting my picking, or my fretting.

I mean let's be honest, the 1 minute clip Is not fantastic, but I don't think I heard an off note that did not fit. Which leads me to believe I am good at playing, but I need some fine tuning, I don't need to know what chords are what because obviously if you couldn't tell I am in D tuning, which means I play "Bar notes", and metal is not something you would use a lot of chords for specifically unless you are solely playing rhythm, the clip would represent an attempt at lead, and the double palm mute prior to each hammer on section is my attempt at trying to keep rhythm in some fashion.

If it helps, my influences on what I want to play are Metallica, All that remains, trivium (Kirisute Gomen), Three inches of blood, Falling in reverse, Post-Hardcore, hardcore, Grindcore, Mathcore, Speed metal, thrash metal.

What I want to avoid is sounding like all the others, while still retaining Genre.
TS: Less posting. More practicing.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
TS: Less posting. More practicing.

Will do, but what is TS? Is that Topic Starter? I know OP is original poster I think.
Quote by pks330
But I will strongly consider paying a tutor to help me fix my errors, but my only concern is that someone will take advantage of me not knowing anything, and say more is wrong than there is, and making me take excessive hours, when it could be simple, and a quick fix, like adjusting my picking, or my fretting.

Haha I would not be surprised if people do that. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to suck as many hours out of students in places such as guitar center in order to keep high revenues. It really is quite sad when people have to do that. Remember, time is something that should be valued in an economical sense. Time and money are the most important economical resources so use them wisely and don't let others screw you over.

How much are you willing to pay me? Haha well I think it is a bit cruel asking for money for music lessons but maybe I can offer some unique advice? I am not scammer either. If you need any help on your errors just post here for free.
Last edited by Unreal T at Jun 19, 2014,
TS = Thread Starter or Topic Starter.
OP = can mean Original Poster or Opening Post. I always took it to refer to the opening post...but context implies meaning.

It seems that if the audition is relatively soon then you should just look at tightening up what you already do rather than trying to learn something new from scratch.

Also learn what you can about the label. Try to find out who the people are that will be listening to your submission and what it is they are looking for, what they want to get out of you. People make deals and invest time and money into a person if they are going to get a return on that investment. Labels are not charities that will give you money simply because you have a dream, they have to see that they are going to get there money back with a profit.

You might create an expectation in regard to what they are looking for based on what you want but unless you really investigate and consider the deal from their side you will only delude yourself by projecting your dreams as their desire. You need to be able to see their side and understand their wants and expectations.

Most often they have an idea of the market that they are geared toward and have to hear in your work something that they think people will want to pay money to hear. If you have been gigging and have built a solid local fanbase then it makes their job easier since they don't have to rely solely on their own ears but have the ears of hundreds of others suggesting you have something special.

In this case they already have your friend that has talked you up and sold them on your skills. But that won't mean anything to them other than giving you the shot. They won't be biased like your friend and will also have a lot more experience hearing other musicians (whose friends also think they are pretty good).

If you can tighten up what you do though and show them something amazing then you can win them over. It is possible. You just have to blow their minds with some amazing music. Throw a grenade at them, if it's really is a grenade they can't ignore it.

Going forward as general advice regardless of the outcome of your audition I think it's important you learn to play with others. I also think it's important that if you want to make money from your music then you need to put your music out in the world and create opportunities for people to exchange money for the privilege of hearing you play. The usual avenues would be busking, gigging, or putting your music online.

If you build a fanbase of loyal followers that love what you do then it's easier to convince a label with money and infrastructure to invest in you because you've proven you can consistently win an audience and to them that equates to a higher probability of a return on their investment.

Remember, for you this is a passion and lifestyle: for them it's a business proposition. What do you have to offer that other's don't? What is your unique selling point? What sets you apart?

If you had a hundred cover songs in your repertoire in numerous genres and the ability to play along and improvise parts to a song on the first listen and the ability to read sheet music then you could sell yourself as a session musician while you work toward your own thing.

If you had two hundred people turning up week after week to hear you play your original songs throughout your area or 10,000 subscribers online waiting to hear your next release as soon as you post it online then you have something to offer them and giving you a deal becomes easier.

The thing is that there are people out there that have these things. They are your competition trying to get the same deal that you want. What can you offer that they can't?

I'm not trying to knock you down or sow seeds of doubt. I want you to identify your strengths and think about how you are going to sell yourself. What it is it that sets you apart from everyone else and makes you worth their time and money?

If this opportunity doesn't pan out then what are you going to do to make sure that next time they would be a fool to say no?
Si
Quote by 20Tigers

Remember, for you this is a passion and lifestyle: for them it's a business proposition. What do you have to offer that other's don't? What is your unique selling point? What sets you apart?

Damn Right. If the band has an attractive female lead singer I think your good to go haha.
I think the important thing that you all are missing...

Since the guy knows nothing about music, he's not going to be able to exchange ideas with others musically that do know music. So when the drummer needs to communicate something or the bass player, or anyone on the label from arrangers to producers, they are relegated to talking to a dumb mute "musician".

Even if he's got some ideas, the chances of being able to communicate them to musicians remains an additional hurdle. And, whats worse the chance that others will be able to communicate to him is even more grim. If the guy isn't going to invest into himself and up his own equity, he's going to be in for a harsh landing.

This is not someone that I see anyone being able to help. I've been in the music industry, I've been chased by indie labels and part of bands on labels. When you are talking about someone committing their own money for you, to where there's any real chance of a big return, you're going to learn the hard way. Period. End of story.

Best,

Sean
Page 1 of 2