Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Aerosmith.

In U2, Bono is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

Likewise, in Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

In Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder writes most of the lyrics. However, Pearl Jam's music is often composed by various, individual members of the band.

In Aerosmith, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry often collaborate with outsiders in order to pen the band's songs.

Generally speaking- Do all of the band members contribute to the songwriting process?

Is it necessary to have all of the band members get songwriting credits?

For instance- Do the rest of the members of Aerosmith mind that Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and a bunch of outsiders are writing all of the band's songs?

I mean- If you were the bass player of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the basslines? If you were the drummer of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the beats and fills?
Last edited by Hollis OCardell at Jun 17, 2014,
Interesting.

Perhaps Aerosmith has reached out to writers who have a good history of #1's. As the bassit you'd have a lot of freedom to come up with good bass lines since it needs to match the bands history (and current standings) and your personal style. A writer probably comes in, lays down a basic melody and lyrics (maybe shown on a piano or guitar) and the bands runs with it.

I'd say there's no shame in it. Bands like green day, PJ and U2 get to keep more profits since they're not always giving money to writers.

I hope I've helped ?
Quote by Hollis OCardell
I mean- If you were the bass player of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the basslines? If you were the drummer of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the beats and fills?

I understand where you are coming from but I don't think everyone feels that way. Unless you were a bit unbalanced you wouldn't mind playing a fill or bass line that isn't yours because you are in frikkin Greenday! There will always be opportunities to add your own creative flair or even writing your own entire song for the band to play. What matters more then creating all your own parts is playing good music with a group of great people.