because someone thought it was worth that much

go make an app and sell it for millions, then buy me a pizza for coming up with the idea
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Lol it was due to their clever name Whatsaap. Hahahaha I mean that's just clever marketing.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
While many people will flock to it to communicate easier the owners will have loads of data to sell to other companies. Why do you think facebook is worth so much when it's free and with minimal to no ads? They take the 10s of millions of people and run all sorts of data referencing tools and sell that. They don't need your name. Just all your interests, where you are posting from, what phone you use, etc... Companies buy that junk instead of spending money for their own research. If you have facebook... look into your "agreement terms"... it's interesting. Everything you have ever uploaded and entered on there is saved forever in their server even if you delete it.

Whatsapp will be a data goldmine just like facebook.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 17, 2014,
Literally everyone I know has used whatsapp for the past 4 years and its easily a lot better than any of its competitors
cat
1. free messaging between different mobile carriers/phones/etc
2. data
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
ok
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
I have never heard of this. But why do people use instant messaging still? Its 2014, how many young people could there possibly be that can't text?
Quote by Wormholes
I have never heard of this. But why do people use instant messaging still? Its 2014, how many young people could there possibly be that can't text?

Because everyone exceeds their text limits and if you have a data plan this is way better
cat
Quote by Wormholes

Texting isn't the issue.

Talking to people between countries, talking to people on different mobile carriers, talking to people on different devices is the issue.

Instant messaging also doesn't use messages if you're on a limited message plan.
--

--
Purchasing a competitor allows them to absorb market share.
Based on the article, Facebook purchased Whatsaap for $19 billion or $42/user. That's more than 450 million users' data they probably don't have. With that, they can merge Whatsaap with their Facebook messenger kind of like how Microsoft did with Skype.
^ Completely off topic but I've been trying to figure out who it is in your avatar for a really long time. They look really familiar.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
^ Completely off topic but I've been trying to figure out who it is in your avatar for a really long time. They look really familiar.

It looks like Noel Fielding, but I'm probably wrong.
Quote by stratman_13

It's Hitsugi from Nightmare, a Japanese band I used to listen back when I was in high school. I liked that particular part of the music video and he has a pretty cool looking guitar.
I should probably check up on them and see if they have anything new. They used to come out with an album every year which I thought was crazy efficient.
I remember Mark Cuban hyping this thing up on Twitter like it was the second coming of the Beefy Nacho Burrito.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
It's Hitsugi from Nightmare, a Japanese band I used to listen back when I was in high school. I liked that particular part of the music video and he has a pretty cool looking guitar.
I should probably check up on them and see if they have anything new. They used to come out with an album every year which I thought was crazy efficient.

Cheers . I'll have to check them out.
--

--
Maybe they've done some updates but I thought WhatsApp felt a little clunkier than other messaging services like Kik. I like using Kik. They don't charge $1 per year either. I mean, I know its only a dollar, but Kik is completely free.

I guess rather than charge a dollar, they've turned me into an advertisement.
Tech bubble.

Party like its 1999.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
it's more popular than you think, clearly. it's very popular for people to communicate overseas, especially people in syria and iraq and turkey etc.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Because it's popular. That's why. Not everything that isn't big in America isn't big overseas. In other words, there's a ton of stuff that Americans don't consider big that's actually HUGE thing.
its probably the best free texting app besides facebook and snapchat. And it has a cool name.

i use viber to talk to my family and friends over seas though.

viber is very common in other countries besides usa.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Jun 17, 2014,
Whatsapp is big everywhere. It's the biggest texting app here in Uruguay, it's the only thing people use (other than Instagram).
For its intended purpose it's successful and works. It's a cross-mobile-carrier internet-only messaging and chat app. You can use it in Bolivia, Turkey and England. If you use a wifi hotspot, it's free messaging. It has the poop emoji. It's instant messaging, allowing fluid conversations, specially with groups (unlike SMS)

Also, it has millions of users, and all of that data is stored. That is a goldmine for advertisers. That is worth a lot of money for companies like Facebook.
Quote by gonzaw
It has the poop emoji

Sussed it
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at Feb 14, 2017,