Page 1 of 2

I bought this Jackson, and I'm trying to figure out what model it is, and what exactly the switch and knobs do. And you're wondering, how could anyone be so clueless, but I am proof that it is possible.

First I looked for a model-name on the guitar, but I don't find one. Then I browse the Jackson website, and the "X Series" looks like what I have, but I don't know which model. And even if I knew what model it is, the manuals don't seem to help.

The knob for volume, I have figured out. The 3-position switch, I'm guessing, selects between one pickup, the other, or a mix of the two; but I'm just guessing. The remaining to knobs, I have no idea. Please educate me. Thank you.
Last edited by BachRules at Jun 17, 2014,
The switch selects between pickups or combines both.

Depending on the electronics inside the guitar.

1 volume and two tone controls, probably. A tone knob for each pickup. Basically controls how bright or mellow you want the pickup to sound.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
The switch selects between pickups or combines both.

Depending on the electronics inside the guitar.

1 volume and two tone controls, probably. A tone knob for each pickup. Basically controls how bright or mellow you want the pickup to sound.

So, if I use the switch to select just one pickup, then only one of the tone knobs should affect the sound, because the other tone knob is controlling the pickup which is turned off?

Thanks very much for your help.
Assuming I'm correct on what the knobs are/do, yes. That is usually how it works.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Assuming I'm correct on what the knobs are/do, yes. That is usually how it works.

That's consistent with what I hear. Thanks again.
Pics of the back of the guitar and the serial number would help as identify the exact model of the guitar.
Does it have anything written on the headstock besides the Jackson logo?
Did you buy it new or used?
Last edited by tsc86 at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by tsc86
Pics of the back of the guitar and the serial number would help as identify the exact model of the guitar.
Does it have anything written on the headstock besides the Jackson logo?
Did you buy it new or used?

The headstock just says "Jackson". The serial number is just numbers, no letters that would give me a hint. I bought it new from Guitar Center, and the receipt is somewhere here, but I won't find it without a serious hunt.

Knowing the model isn't too important at this time. I was just curious. More important for me to understand the knobs, so I can have a clue when I'm trying to get sound out of it.

Thanks for your help.
Quote by T4D
yeah Knobs post Dumb threads like this..

And geniuses post comments like yours. As if people are born knowing what the knobs do. As if everyone with less guitar experience than you is dumb. So you have low self-esteem and decided to demonstrate it in this thread.. winner.
come on ? r u guys for real ?

the guitar could easily be customize (change volume to tone or the endless options you have including disconnecting them) so the only person who could ever find what those controls do,. is the guy asking the question ?

SO how about plugin the guitar (since it is electric you do need to plug it into a amp) and ..wait for it

(Einstein level of genius about to appear) drum roll please ........

pick, strum or hit the any string or strings and turn the knob or switch you want to know the most about listen with ears and repeat until you hear what effect the knob has on the sound.

afew things the knobs don't do

• Change channel on the TV
  • Set the time on the microwave
  • Adjust the temp on your air conditioner
  • Fill your car with gas
  • Make coffee of any type
  • Wash your cloths
  • Call the fire brigade if there's a fire
  • Setup a firewall on your internet connection
  • Get you layed ( you have to play guitar really good for that to happen)

the technical details of how a tone control works

Last edited by T4D at Jun 17, 2014,
^^

ALthough this guy comes across as being very unnecessarily rude, he has somewhat of a point. Just plug the guitar into an amp and see what everything does yourself. You don't need us to tell you what they do.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T4D
come on ? r u guys for real ?

the guitar could easily be customize (change volume to tone or the endless options you have including disconnecting them) so the only person who could ever find what those controls do,. is the guy asking the question ?

But it wasn't customized, and lemurflames guessed right about that, and without making a fool of himself, so it seems you could learn a lot from him.

Quote by T4D
SO how about plugin the guitar (since it is electric you do need to plug it into a amp) and ..wait for it

(Einstein level of genius about to appear) drum roll please ........

pick, strum or hit the any string or strings and turn the knob or switch you want to know the most about listen with ears and repeat until you hear what effect the knob has on the sound.

But I did that already, and it's really just that you assumed wrong about that. I was looking for a more technical description than "just listen". Lemurflames realized that, but you failed to, so again, you could learn a lot from Lemurflames.

I program audio software for a living. If you did that and tried telling people "just press the buttons and listen" when they asked you what the buttons do, you'd get fired, and that wouldn't mean you were smart, despite your pretension here.

Quote by T4D
afew things the knobs don't do

• Change channel on the TV
  • Set the time on the microwave
  • Adjust the temp on your air conditioner
  • Fill your car with gas
  • Make coffee of any type
  • Wash your cloths
  • Call the fire brigade if there's a fire
  • Setup a firewall on your internet connection
  • Get you layed ( you have to play guitar really good for that to happen)

But the only one babbling about those things is you.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^^

ALthough this guy comes across as being very unnecessarily rude, he has somewhat of a point. Just plug the guitar into an amp and see what everything does yourself. You don't need us to tell you what they do.

I plugged it in and listened first. I was hoping for more technical info, without having to break open the guitar and look at the wiring inside.
Quote by BachRules

I dunno. I have this degree from CCRMA saying I'm smart and a lot of money I've earned with it on the one hand, and this random autistic guy on the other hand calling me dumb.

you are not being respectful either.
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
you are not being respectful either.

Because this clown is coming at me stupid. I wasn't giving him the time of day until he got stupid with me.
jesus.. calm down people.

why is everyone taking everything so personal nowadays?
I'm willing to bet that T4D was just trying to make a lighthearted joke.
also, he really does have a point.. you're gonna have to figure this one out by yourself TS

probs 1 volume / 2 tone ctrls.. maybe a push pull?
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
I did post as a joke and I can take "hey you shouldn't be so rude" but really is this Preschool guitar forum ? this is the most simplest question I really didn't know if he was joking when posting the Question ?

Quote by BachRules

I program audio software for a living.

OK You say you "Program Audio Software" but you can not tell the difference in sound between a Volume Knob and a Tone Control ?

you program ( write software ) so do I, tho my software engineer boss would say I write script yet you do not know you could pick up a metal object ( spoon, screw driver, Nail or anything metal ) and tap the pickup to find which pickup is on when you move the switch ? ( there's a big BAM when you do, so make sure the volume on your amp is down)

Quote by BachRules
If you did that and tried telling people "just press the buttons and listen" when they asked you what the buttons do, you'd get fired, and that wouldn't mean you were smart, despite your pretension here.

not sure where your at here BachRules,. but playing the guitar is a creative art form normally involving experimentation,. getting fired for pressing or turning the wrong knob doesn't really make scent in relation to playing guitar? (people play these things behide the back and with there TEETH )

so it just doesn't have the same level of danger as say a nuclear reactor would where Turning the wrong knob may have more negative results..( plus I'm sure a nuclear reactor would have alot more knobs, Switches and Buttons
Last edited by T4D at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by CrazyMatt
you're gonna have to figure this one out by yourself

Not really, because lemurflames helped me figure it out. It's like, everyone telling me I have to figure it out on my own is an idiot, because there are obviously other people willing and able to help.
Quote by T4D
is this Preschool guitar forum ?

No one asked you into this thread, you moron. How freaking small is your penis that you chose to call someone "dumb" because he has less guitar experience than you? Jimmy Page started off not knowing what the knobs do. You need to find something else for your self-esteem, because knowing what the knobs do is just not that awesome.
Last edited by BachRules at Jun 17, 2014,
I would have guessed 2 volume (one per pickup) and a master tone. Anyways, switch in the down position is usually the pickup closer to the bridge and up is usually the pickup closer to the neck. Bridge will be a more treble based brighter tone and the neck will be more mellow, bassy, smooth. If the knobs are volume, when turned all the way counter clockwise they will completely cut the signal where as turning a tone knob this way will cut the treble sound in the signal.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by T4D

Ahhhh yes, I remember back when I didn't know what tone knobs did. What a waste of skin I was for not knowing that by default when I escaped the womb.
I should have been shot at birth to make way for the babies that came out of their mother whilst gripping a guitar and playing a beautiful solo that made the Doctor tear up and accidentally give scalpel the farther in the arse.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Wow, that went south fast.

You know, maybe it's just me but since this community represents a spectrum of people of varying skills, a little more help and a lot less snark would be decidedly welcomed.

I don't care if someone comes on asking, "What do the strings do?", just answer it without the sardonic twist of the knife in the back. It's unbecoming and infantile.

Now play nice or I'll take away your marbles.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Bachrules relax dude.. Take a step back you asked a very basic guitar question and I slapped you for it (yes negative on my part sorry I did think your question was a joke it was so basic)

I didn't call your humanity into this.... just thought your question was dumb this is the internet deal with it..
I may be rude but taking any internet forum opinion to heart is far more disturbing
Looks similar to RR3, which has 2 volumes for each pickup and a tone control. But hell, this thread is ridiculous. What's next? "I bought a guitar. How does it sound? Tell me pls".
You can go to the Jackson website and enter the SN# of the guitar and it will tell you what model it is.
Quote by RCA1186
I would have guessed 2 volume (one per pickup) and a master tone. Anyways, switch in the down position is usually the pickup closer to the bridge and up is usually the pickup closer to the neck. Bridge will be a more treble based brighter tone and the neck will be more mellow, bassy, smooth. If the knobs are volume, when turned all the way counter clockwise they will completely cut the signal where as turning a tone knob this way will cut the treble sound in the signal.

+1

Also LOL at all the snide posts in here. I don't think it's a coincidence that I don't actually recognise anyone who's posting those type of posts as a regular.

If you can't be bothered helping, then don't. From the looks of things we're coping just fine without you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally, having someone say it changes the tone wouldn't be that helpful for me if I hadn't heard what that meant firsthand. T4D's got a point, when you're playing music the best way to find out what something does and how you can apply it musically is often to play with it yourself.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Also LOL at all the snide posts in here. I don't think it's a coincidence that I don't actually recognise anyone who's posting those type of posts as a regular.

If you can't be bothered helping, then don't. From the looks of things we're coping just fine without you.

I don't recognize any of these names...

It's like an invasion from The Pit.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
This isn't the first time T4D has pissed people off. He started posting a lot over in Recordings some time ago, usually telling the regulars over there that they don't know what they're talking about and making post after post disputing all sort of facts.

Several topics degraded into threads similar to this before he eventually started to calm down and acknowledge that his opinion wasn't always correct.

Hadn't seen him around for a while, but it would appear he's back with avengeance.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
While I agree that its good to figure things out on your own and this is a very basic subject, if everyone just figured out things on their own all the time, there would be no UG. And that would suck! Talking gear with most of my guitarist friends results in either blank stares or what I like to call "spider bragging", which is when a piece of (usually budget, low tier) gear is the best "x" ever and frickin' awesome based on only the fact that said bragger owns one.

I like to think I'm somewhat competent with guitar gear, but I bought a guitar a couple weeks ago and still haven't gotten a firm grasp on how to manipulate the knobs. Its not always cut and dry now with all the push-pull-push-push-squeeze-turn pots that seem to be proliferating. So don't feel bad ts.

And even besides that, there's hundreds of interesting threads made by and for more advanced players, you aren't required to post in a thread you feel you're beyond.
Quote by lemurflames
I don't recognize any of these names...

It's like an invasion from The Pit.

I recognise T00DEEPBLUE (and you, obviously) (from when i posted before, I recognise garybillington and lucky1978 as well)

But yeah that was kind of my point. I mean, obviously the regulars don't own the forum or anything like that, I'm not suggesting that for a second- but if the regulars don't get annoyed and a bunch of non-regulars do... yeah. Don't have much time for that.

Quote by GaryBillington
This isn't the first time T4D has pissed people off. He started posting a lot over in Recordings some time ago, usually telling the regulars over there that they don't know what they're talking about and making post after post disputing all sort of facts.

Several topics degraded into threads similar to this before he eventually started to calm down and acknowledge that his opinion wasn't always correct.

Hadn't seen him around for a while, but it would appear he's back with avengeance.

I don't go to the recording forum so I didn't know that, but thanks for the info. good to know

Quote by lucky1978
While I agree that its good to figure things out on your own and this is a very basic subject, if everyone just figured out things on their own all the time, there would be no UG.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
obviously the regulars don't own the forum or anything like that

Says who...

Be like Russia and plant a flag under the ice caps of the North Pole.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GaryBillington

my history on this forum can be found easily using the search Feature. why not use that ?

LOL I love the high and might attitude Gary but this is a place where thread titles such as
  • post in this thread if you are a toilet
  • People with annoying faces
  • Oh My God, U Suck. Join the mafia.
  • Your proudest sexual accomplishment?

I still do not think i wrote anything wrong I generally thought it was a Joke your reply and the "these people clearly are not regulars" attitude adds to the joke.

surely some here have worked in music shops ? any of them had customers ask what the knobs do ? any one tell the customer total BS as a joke ? I Have seen it happen and that in real life this world NOT the internet.

but on an internet forum it's shocking to read such low moral behavior ?? How dare I make a joke at someone else expects no matter how dumb the question was. ??

this is a internet forum you not working at wall mart at customer service, I would like to think internet forums are a friendly Pub not a church or neighbor hood watch meeting where there are children in the room so we all have to be polite. but it seem other think differently...
Last edited by T4D at Jun 18, 2014,
Quote by BachRules
No one asked you into this thread, you moron. How freaking small is your penis that you chose to call someone "dumb" because he has less guitar experience than you? Jimmy Page started off not knowing what the knobs do. You need to find something else for your self-esteem, because knowing what the knobs do is just not that awesome.

I never called you dumb, I never attacked you personally.

I called your question Dumb and nothing more

examples

http://www.upworthy.com/48-reporters-asked-this-guy-the-same-dumb-question-about-women-his-response-absolutely-perfect

how about Jeff Foxorthy making a living off dumb Sh#$ ?

& "regular" UG users should not laugh at this
^ ...and this is exactly why you piss people off. You seem unable to realise that creating a wall of text in response to someone pointing out flaws in your arguments is not a good way to earn respect. You seem to think we should respect you because you tell us to.

It's exactly how you were in the Recordings forum a year or so ago. Loads of threads became more about you than about the original question because you couldn't understand how it was possible anybody could find flaws in your suggestions, simply claiming we should listen to you because you knew better, whereas the people you were accusing of not knowing what they were talking about were respected regulars - some of whom were professional sound engineers.

Eventually once you stopped trying to prove why you were better than everyone else, you did turn out to be very knowledgeable, and some of the advice you gave was pretty good. You just need to remember that enforcing your arguments with longer & longer posts about why everyone else is wrong isn't the way to earn respect. You would be far better off learning how to create a brief post highlighting the positives of your own argument without focusing on the negatives of someone else's.

For the purposes of this thread though, just remember this from the official UG rules:
NO FLAMING
- Be nice to each other. We will not tolerate excessive name calling or hateful comments directed towards other users
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
^ ...and this is exactly why you piss people off. You seem unable to realise that creating a wall of text in response to someone pointing out flaws in your arguments is not a good way to earn respect. You seem to think we should respect you because you tell us to.

It's exactly how you were in the Recordings forum a year or so ago. Loads of threads became more about you than about the original question because you couldn't understand how it was possible anybody could find flaws in your suggestions, simply claiming we should listen to you because you knew better, whereas the people you were accusing of not knowing what they were talking about were respected regulars - some of whom were professional sound engineers.

Eventually once you stopped trying to prove why you were better than everyone else, you did turn out to be very knowledgeable, and some of the advice you gave was pretty good. You just need to remember that enforcing your arguments with longer & longer posts about why everyone else is wrong isn't the way to earn respect. You would be far better off learning how to create a brief post highlighting the positives of your own argument without focusing on the negatives of someone else's.

For the purposes of this thread though, just remember this from the official UG rules:

(dude I just copy and paste your post to illustrate the Hypocrisy in your post)

You seem unable to "realize" that creating a wall of text in response & Loads of threads became more about you than about the original question, You just need to remember that enforcing your arguments with longer & longer posts about why everyone else is wrong isn't the way to earn respect. You would be far better off learning how to create a brief post highlighting the positives of your own argument without focusing on the negatives of someone else's.

Gary your standing there flaming me writing more then I did, accusing me of BS and none of it related to ANYTHING in this thread ? your posts have only been about me ?? what is a flame on UG ??

please everyone check my post use the search link at the top of the page and where i have posted,. it shows Gary's BS.

I posted to 2 or 3 threads maybe 2 years ago ? where I disagreed with some and it end up as more about my writing style is too offensive and I need to write in a more diplomatic way but completely missing the point not dealing with the BS or subject that was posted in the thread ? and now here we are year or so later and you still waving your battle axe at me posting BS at me and again nothing to do with the thread title subject here ? you wrote YOU or YOUR over 21 times still nothing about the subject but I'm the Troll I'm the flamer ??

build a bridge & get over yourself Dude.
Page 1 of 2