Hi everyone

I'm from Switzerland and currently have to write some kind of graduation paper about a random topic of my choice. Recently it occured to me that there was radio coming out of my amplifier while playing the bass, so I chose to investigate this phenomenon a bit closer. My theory is that either my strings or my cable work as an antenna. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced the same.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
probably the cable
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's the pickups of the bass. They are not grounded.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by koH_34
Hi everyone

I'm from Switzerland and currently have to write some kind of graduation paper about a random topic of my choice. Recently it occured to me that there was radio coming out of my amplifier while playing the bass, so I chose to investigate this phenomenon a bit closer. My theory is that either my strings or my cable work as an antenna. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced the same.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

This happens to me when I use my Big Muff. I'm not exactly sure why or how to fix it but it does seem to act as an antenna. In my situation it picks up the same station every time, so it seems to be dialed into a particular frequency.

what kind of stuff comes through your amp? My station broadcasts radical extreme religious talk. Pretty scary
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by GuitarMunky
This happens to me when I use my Big Muff. I'm not exactly sure why or how to fix it but it does seem to act as an antenna. In my situation it picks up the same station every time, so it seems to be dialed into a particular frequency.

what kind of stuff comes through your amp? My station broadcasts radical extreme religious talk. Pretty scary

You can buy some copper tape and coat the inside of the stompbox with it. It creates a Faraday cage that shields it from radio signal. Basically, you just need to shield the electronics. Aluminum foil might work too I don't remember. Same for OP, the guitar cavity may not have been shielded correctly

Here's a link to a pdf that has a bit of history to it as well.

Clicky Clicky
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
- Steve Martin
I've picked up radio before. It tends to sound like Police radio or some religious cult.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
An old amp I had as a kid would pick up our local radio station (AM...that was 'before' many FM stations were around there local.) The sound of the station was actually quite clear and understandable, though low in volume. It would bug hell out of me practicing in the daytime...fortunately back then, ALL local radio stations there would shut down around 7 o'clock at night and from then till 4:30 a.m. there'd be no more trouble.

(And for anyone interested, we kids had to listen to the BIG JUICE stations like Chicago and a couple of skippy stations from Texas, and so on if we wanted to listen to radio tunes past dark. lol! Can't remember the exact station call-sign of Chicago at the time...think it 'might' have been, WLS-Chicago, but not sure as 'that' was VERY long ago. Ha!)
Quote by GuitarMunky

Once I picked up some Spanish radio station and then another time I had some language I couldn't understand, probably some Eastern European stuff. Would you mind if I took a screenshot of your comment for my paperwork? Find it quite amusing