I recently started playing progressive metal, I was trying to get a Djent sound more specifically, I've arranged all of my equipment and I'm now able to get the sound exactly how I wanted, however, I noticed an issue with all my guitars, I bought I set of Dunlop strings and I'm using a 60 gauge string for the lowest 6th string, I'm playing in Dropped A and Drop B modified (lowest string tuned to F#) and I noticed a lot of fret buzzing coming from that specific 6th string, also, when I try to play any note on the fretboard, the sound comes distorted and it doesn't really match the rest of the tuning, that plus the excessive fretting makes it almost impossible to play the string right, it only sounds right when playing it open, I tried with three different guitars, a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, a Squier Strat Affinity and an Ibanez Gio GRX, I'm relatively new to alternate tuning and different strings so I was wandering if based on this, you guys could actually tell me if I'm not using the right guitars for this sound
.060 for F#? Am I reading that right?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
.060 for F#? Am I reading that right?

+3.1415 something is a little excessive in there.

how is the string fitting in the nut? you may want to get a new nut cut, but if you ever went back to regular tunings again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A 60 is hilariously light for F#. I use a 60 for C sometimes (most often a 56 though).

I would start out with a 68 for an F#, see how that feels. I know a lot of people use a 72, that's kind of the standard F# gauge. Anywhere between there will be alright, from there it's just about minute preferences.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Trashedlostfdup...nut seems ok, the string doesn't seem to be forcing in
Offworld92...thanks for the tip man, I'll try and get the .072, however, the problem it's also happening when I tune to A, it seems I can only play Drop B or higher, yet, today, while doing some research, I stumbled across with a guitar lesson from periphery and the safety fire where they state I should be able to get A on the lowest string using a .058 or above, could I be missing something else that might be causing the fret buzz?
Quote by laloevil10
could I be missing something else that might be causing the fret buzz?

Yes. Your scale length is also a factor. If those guys are playing ERGs, chances are high they're rocking a 27" or 28" scale. Longer scales add tension, which works the same way as using higher gauge strings.

From what I can tell, all of your guitars have a 25.5" scale. The longer your scale is, the lighter strings you can get away with. And vice versa. For example, if you run a .060 on a 27" scale, that might be equivalent to running a .068 on a 25.5" scale.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
len 27"
F,,,# .060" danw == 10.75#
------------------------------
len 25.5"
F,,,# .068" danw == 12.19#

My lowest tuned string on one of my sevens, for reference.
It's already loose. I've actually considered going .074, but I haven't committed to it.

len 25.5"
G,,, .070" danw == 14.45#

I don't think I'd ever tune a 25.5" to F# standard. There's a certain point where strings get so massive... This can end up being a nightmare if you ever want to use that guitar for a completely different tuning.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Hey man, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that, I'll definitely try and get the strings you recomend.
Thanks lemurflames, you guys really cleared all my doubts all definitely try everything and let you guys know how it all went
Quote by lemurflames
len 27"
F,,,# .060" danw == 10.75#
len 25.5"
F,,,# .068" danw == 12.19#

My lowest tuned string on one of my sevens, for reference.
It's already loose. I've actually considered going .074, but I haven't committed to it.

len 25.5"
G,,, .070" danw == 14.45#

I don't think I'd ever tune a 25.5" to F# standard. There's a certain point where strings get so massive... This can end up being a nightmare if you ever want to use that guitar for a completely different tuning.

+1 that is what i was referring to above (not the string gauge). tuning so low on a standard 6 string (non ERG) is excessive. i don't think you could ever get it to an ideal spot. it would be hard to get it to intonate (If possible).

what does the bassist do then? i know the timbre is different and construction of the instruments amps, etc. but you have so much low, what fills in the mids? upper mids?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/