Hi, I am now looking to buy an electric guitar that is of a decent standard. But I am struggling to decide how much to spend to ensure I don't end up with something utter crap. My last purchase was of a guitar and amp combo that came to 80 quid and both items are useless. I have between £200/300 budget for the guitar alone but is this enough? What guitars tend to be quite good value for money around this price Mark? Any help would be hugely appreciated on this!! Thanks
I have an Epiphone custom shop that would have costed around that ($450 American) and while it has it's issues it's still one of my favourites. My suggestion would be to play all the guitars at the shop around that price range and then maybe a couple above and judge from there. £300 is near the price range of Mexican Fenders, and check out the Squire Classic Vibes which are awesome for the price.
I think so. I would get a cheap used guitar, Squier, Ibanez, something like that, and upgrade the pickups. Your current guitar might be OK with decent pickups. My last project was a non-working Peavey Raptor that I got for $75 from the hockshop, I actually did a fair bit to it, but I could have got it into good working order just by gluing a couple of body cracks, fixing the trem and replacing all the electronics, total extra cost maybe $200, depending on the price of the pickups, plus time.
Most players probably won't agree with me but I feel if you are serious about playing an instrument then there's no point shelling out $400 bucks every few years on an "ok" guitar when you could save a little while longer and have something that will last you forever.
My current favourite guitar is my Ibanez GRG06LTD. I've replaced the pickups and blocked the trem, but other than that, it's standard. What's strange is that it cost £110 in Cash Generator and I have guitars worth far more than that and I've played multi-thousand instruments that I didn't like as much.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no magical price that a guitar must be to be good.
Play a load, see what one you like the best.
That's the one for you.
Quote by badfish_lewis
Most players probably won't agree with me but I feel if you are serious about playing an instrument then there's no point shelling out $400 bucks every few years on an "ok" guitar when you could save a little while longer and have something that will last you forever.

Which $400 dollar guitars fall apart every few years? They are usually solid guitars minus the electronics.
Quote by badfish_lewis

I partially agree - but sometimes you need to get a guitar you can tolerate as soon as possible so you can start playing while saving up for what you really want.
Quote by badfish_lewis

Quote by katalyzt13
I partially agree - but sometimes you need to get a guitar you can tolerate as soon as possible so you can start playing while saving up for what you really want.

Both good points. The point does stand though, if possible, save towards a guitar you know will last you a lifetime and that you will truly love to play. The more you love your guitar, the more you'll play and the better you will get.

As for the actual question though, if that's your budget I would probably try to find a used Epiphone SG and swap out the pickups.
Quote by badfish_lewis

+1 to this. Is really, really hard to do it, but it's worth it. I saved for 3 years to pass from a 150 dollar shity washburn to a Fender american strat deluxe. It has been 8 years. It's till my only electric guitar andn I really don't think on changing it, or buying any other guitar in next 5 years. (I would only buy another guitar if i'm "rich" and all my other needs of musicals instruments are fullfilled (almost imposible haha).)

But, i have spent less money on other musical stuff (audio interfaces, midi keyboards, harmonicas, amps, pedals etc) and altough I know i will buy better stuff in the future I can live with them at the moment and tolerate them knowing they are not top of the line

For the question, the best answer (and pretty normal) is to spend the same of the value on a new amp if you are looking for having a nice tone in short term.
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Jun 17, 2014,
Figure out what guitar you want first, then spend what you have to to get it. It may not be as expensive as it sounds. Dont settle for something 'good enough'.
Stick to your budget, and don't let people tell you how much to spend. Its your hobby your money. There are plenty of decent guitars in that price range.

You should go try a bunch of guitars in that range.

Some to try might be the yamaha pacificas, squier classic vibe, godin session or redline. Some of the cheaper epiphones (specials and LP 100s) have quality control issues.

Have fun looking
yeah that should be enough- but you can still get some crap at that price point so you need to be careful.

there are some good deals on blue label fret kings currently, and they're pretty decent guitars (at least at the £300 price point), so might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I picked up a 2004 Mexican Fender Strat HSS today for $290. I was planning to get a Squier to knock around on, but this way barely more than the Squier I wanted and I fell in love with it when I plugged it in and started jamming.

So there are definitely some bargains out there if you look.
You can get a great guitar for less, like $200-300 US, if you know what to look for.

My number one guitar is a 1989 Yamaha superstrat (SE612A) that I got for under $300. I think these retailed for over $500 new in 1989, and have high quality components and great build quality, very playable, good pickups, I like the tremolo system, etc. There are a lot of older Yamahas floating around that are undervalued. Some other makes, too, I am just more familiar with Yamahas.

I have a $1500 PRS, but I prefer the Yamaha, just feels better for my style of play. Ultimately, nothing beats going into a guitar shop and trying dozens of guitars, see what you like. Don't rely on reviews, word of mouth, reputation, etc.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!