Hi all. I'm currently learning/focusing on chord construction and have gotten to chord extensions. I mainly want to play rock and blues (no jazz). How much will I need chord extensions? Mainly the 11 and 13 chords...

I ask as I have very short fingers (VERY short) and the fingerings for some of these are very difficult to impossible. When I watch videos of people playing these it looks very easy but where they can bend/arch their fingers for some of the stretches I cannot so I end up muting the string(s) below.

That said I don't know that I will NEED then for what I want to play? I can play the 7th chords, and certain 9th's (which I love) aren't difficult for me.

Weird thread, I know.
Last edited by Mole351 at Jun 17, 2014,
Your finger length doesn't matter.

A lot of the extended chords you see in rock and blues are just suspended harmonies. Often it's a IV7 over the tonic, which technically spells a 13th chord.

But you should learn how to play all your chords. It's not like there's an exhaustive list of appropriate chords for a given style of music. The formulas for chord construction are simple, it's just a matter of practicing them and learning how/when they sound good.
Quote by Mole351
Hi all. I'm currently learning/focusing on chord construction and have gotten to chord extensions. I mainly want to play rock and blues (no jazz). How much will I need chord extensions? Mainly the 11 and 13 chords...

I ask as I have very short fingers (VERY short) and the fingerings for some of these are very difficult to impossible. When I watch videos of people playing these it looks very easy but where they can bend/arch their fingers for some of the stretches I cannot so I end up muting the string(s) below.

That said I don't know that I will NEED then for what I want to play? I can play the 7th chords, and certain 9th's (which I love) aren't difficult for me.

Weird thread, I know.

It's too general a question. Some kinds they would be important, and others they wouldn't. You might want to define a general term like "rock n blues" because as Im sure you know, there's not really a definitive answer that's going to fit a general question.

But if you are talking about most things beyond a 9th, no. Thirteenths, sometime. There are lots of songs with 13ths in them. Not Jazz ones either. Spooky by the Classics V isn't Jazz, Lowdown isn't Jazz, Brick House isn't Jazz....there are tons of non-jazz songs that use 13ths; a 13th is an extended Dominant 7th flavor, nothing more. Its dressed up a bit more, is all.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Mole351

Weird thread, I know.

There are a million ways to play any chord, you simply need to find voicings that fit and work with your hand.

My classical guitar teacher had a hand that was about half the size of mine and he could do any voicing, many of which I couldn't. There are stretching exercises for Classical guitar that might be of help to you - google them.
You don't need to play every note in the chord. For example a 13th chord only needs the root, third, seventh and 13th to be a 13th chord. Same with the 11th chord - you only need root, third, seventh and 11th. And you can play even less notes on guitar if other insturments play the other notes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115