Poll: DD-20 or Flashback X4
Poll Options
View poll results: DD-20 or Flashback X4
DD-20
11 50%
Flashback X4
11 50%
Voters: 22.
Hey guys, I am going on tour this fall and in the process of building a new board. All I have left to get is a delay and I am stuck between the dd-20 and the flashback x4. I like that the boss has more subdivisions and a screen but the flashback to me sounds much better. I heard the flashback has poor durability, but not sure. Also I like the modulation setting better on the Flashback. Any input on which you think I should get would be greatly appreciated!!!
i haven't messed with the flashbacks, but i really liked the nova delay (discontinued for flashback)

may be able to pick one up cheap. has presets and a nice array of tone. check out some clips.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Have you considered a Line 6 M5, Echo Park or DL4?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
tc electronic uses shit switches which have a high failure rate. heaps of threads on the gear page complaining about it. and my ditto looper's switch carked out after about 3 weeks. and apparently sending it back to tc for a new switch isn't viable, as they charge ridiculous amounts, like 70% of the pedal's worth. that's enough to put me off tc forever.

on the other hand, never had a problem with boss reliability. ever.
I had my trinity for a year and had no problems still that's ****ing ridiculous.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Offworld92
Have you considered a Line 6 M5, Echo Park or DL4?

Yes I have been researching delays for a few months now. I'm pretty set on these just not sure which. Like the sound tc flashback better but reliability scares me
Quote by NakedInTheRain
tc electronic uses shit switches which have a high failure rate. heaps of threads on the gear page complaining about it. and my ditto looper's switch carked out after about 3 weeks. and apparently sending it back to tc for a new switch isn't viable, as they charge ridiculous amounts, like 70% of the pedal's worth. that's enough to put me off tc forever.

Wow, really? Now I'm scared of using my PolyTune.

Is it a recent issue, or older TC products suffer of the same problem?
My PolyTune is an older model (2012), and the switch is different from the one on the PolyTune 2, which is just like the ones used on the Flashback X4, with the 4 indentations on the switch's screw washer:

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
ALL TC pedals have shit switches. They are made so you can't replace them yourself. When they go out (and they will. ALL Switches at some point go bad) you have to ship it to TC to get it fixed. All reports of people doing this also say TC charges 90 bucks to replace ALL internals. They wont just replace the switch. You must get the entire board replaced. On most any other quality pedal you can just solder up a new switch very easily. Not so on TC.

After reading all the threads on the subject I returned all my TC pedals except for my old polytune and do not recommend any tc pedals to anyone.

I will never understand why a company would cheap out and mount the switch to the circuit board on a pedal over 100 bucks. This is how all TC pedals are.

Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 18, 2014,
Damn. I had a fbx4 for a couple years without a problem. I sold it recently but was gonna buy another one but after reading this thread...maybe I'll look into the dd20 or dl4.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Have you checked out the Vox Delaylab? I've never tried one but I know theyre really cheap for some reason so I'm a bit skeptical. I forgot who it was but some regular, respected UG'er said he chose the delaylab over the fbx4. It does quite a bit of things. After reading bout tc issues on this thread I'm gonna hopefully find one to try out soon. Apparently I was lucky with my x4, I don't know if I wanna test that luck again. I despise shitty customer service.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm sure it can be soddered off the damn board and replaced witb a better switch.

Oh shit I think its me you reffered to I'm respected arround here? The delay lab does somethings really well, (multi-tap, dual, tape, ambient, reverse and a psuedo shimmer) then something really poorly (like lofi, a normal digital, modulated delay...) so its kind of a mixed bag. The thing that pisses me off the most is you can't have custom serrings for the looper and it lacks repeats for me. To be fair I like stupid crap like 30+ so. Id give it a 6.6 out of ten over all. Although I did figure out how to simulate a rainbow machine with it
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jun 19, 2014,
I've seen TC pedals discussed tons of times including this forum (especially the Flashback which pops up every single time delays are discussed) and I've never ever heard anyone have any durability issues with them, they got pretty much nothing but praise. Their two pedals I own look and feel pretty much indestructible. You guys must have either had very bad luck or done some very weird things with those pedals.

The Flashback is still one of the greatest things I've heard with how beautiful it sounds, and the variety of settings it offers is plain impressive. Definitely my recommendation.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Jun 19, 2014,
Quote by TheLiberation
I've seen TC pedals discussed tons of times including this forum (especially the Flashback which pops up every single time delays are discussed) and I've never ever heard anyone have any durability issues with them, they got pretty much nothing but praise. Their two pedals I own look and feel pretty much indestructible. You guys must have either had very bad luck or done some very weird things with those pedals.

The Flashback is still one of the greatest things I've heard with how beautiful it sounds, and the variety of settings it offers is plain impressive. Definitely my recommendation.

Yep, it's also the first time I'm hearing about these issues with the switches.

I've always seen lots of recommendations for TC Electronic's stuff here on UG, especially the PolyTune, the Flashback delays, the Hall Of Fame reverb, and the Ditto loopers.
And it's undeniable that their most of their gear sounds awesome, so it's a shame if they're really as plagued by those issues as this thread leads one to believe.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

I've always seen lots of recommendations for TC Electronic's stuff here on UG, especially the PolyTune, the Flashback delays, the Hall Of Fame reverb, and the Ditto loopers.
And it's undeniable that their most of their gear sounds awesome, so it's a shame if they're really as plagued by those issues as this thread leads one to believe.

It could be because most people have only had them for a year or so. I myself have seen quite a few complaints about broken TC switches, and expect it to increase. Also, I don't know about others but I don't tend to stomp hard on a polytune / reverb pedal but things like delays / loopers, tap tempo etc is gonna take a beating IMO, so something like a flashback, although an awesome delay, may not last more than 2-3 years, which in my opinion isn't quite long enough when you're spending a fair bit of money on a super delay.
If you want to read about issues related to TC products, the best place would be their own forum, plenty of threads there regarding Gmajors/Nova pedals/Toneprint pedals etc. The switch problem is fairly acceptable to a point because these are true bypass type but probably the ones with low life cycle. Major problems were with the gmajor & nova units(pedals & mfx) which would stop functioning due to bad chips or something. The switches are not that easy to replace on the Toneprint pedals.

In any case, the flashback X4 had firmware issues which may have been addressed in the latest firmware update. Between that & the DD20, the flashback is overall better tonally but the DD20 is reliable. Might want to consider the RE20 as well.
Quote by Linkerman

Well, one thread vs. something like the entire guitar internet is kinda not enough to change my opinion. (Not for the first time on this forum. As you might remember. )

Also, I don't see how their switches are any different than of LOTS of other companies. Some make those flat kind of switches like Boss, but the type of switches TC uses are all over the place, MXR definitely use the same for everything from the top of my head, but I see those more often than any other type of switches.
^no idea if you are arguing or agreeing here...
Anyway switches mounted to PCB = not good, as can be seen in the image from cheesefries.
Quote by 7thString
^no idea if you are arguing or agreeing here...
Anyway switches mounted to PCB = not good, as can be seen in the image from cheesefries.

+3.1415 i have done it before as far as soldering/ resoldering on PCB but i hated it.

before taking that step i would have to know 100% that the switch is the same. only if i knew for sure that they were 100% identical. there could be some tiny differences that could cause a huge hassle.

i never really got into TC anyways, but i guess it is what it is.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by TheLiberation
Well, one thread vs. something like the entire guitar internet is kinda not enough to change my opinion. (Not for the first time on this forum. As you might remember. )

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1228777
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1386279
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=901416
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/251102-attn-tc-electronic-toneprint-pedal-owners-switch-replacement.html
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1389083

a little more information about the switch issue.
So the dd-20 seems to be the consensus? Or are you guys just saying I should be careful with the Flashback?
Quote by 7thString
Also google 'Line 6 DL4 footswitch issues'

i think they had bad switches too or something. i don't remember it though or if it was resolved.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think they had bad switches too or something. i don't remember it though or if it was resolved.

pretty sure they're PCB mounted
That's why I always recommend the M5 or the Echo Park. But for some reason people seem obsessed with the DL4, so I just throw it in. I hate it, massively oversized piece of junk.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 7thString
pretty sure they're PCB mounted

bastards. i guess everybody is cheeping out. i am not a fan of the boss as the others, but i don't really recall a boss switch problem.

does line 6 use PCB switches on the HD series units?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
bastards. i guess everybody is cheeping out. i am not a fan of the boss as the others, but i don't really recall a boss switch problem.

does line 6 use PCB switches on the HD series units?

'boss switch problem' is an oxymoron. like 'military intelligence'.
Quote by Kicksta711
How is the M5 or a Nova compared to the dd-20

jeez man just buy something already
i like the nova myself. i don't own one, and don't know if switches on them were an issue, i never heard it having issues, but

look into strymon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by cheesefries
ALL TC pedals have shit switches. They are made so you can't replace them yourself. When they go out (and they will. ALL Switches at some point go bad) you have to ship it to TC to get it fixed. All reports of people doing this also say TC charges 90 bucks to replace ALL internals. They wont just replace the switch. You must get the entire board replaced. On most any other quality pedal you can just solder up a new switch very easily. Not so on TC.

After reading all the threads on the subject I returned all my TC pedals except for my old polytune and do not recommend any tc pedals to anyone.

I will never understand why a company would cheap out and mount the switch to the circuit board on a pedal over 100 bucks. This is how all TC pedals are.

So now I think this thread should discuss which pedal brands do NOT wire their switches in this way because I feel like a lot of them probably do.