Page 1 of 2
I'd love to get some thoughts on how we as musicians can contribute our talents for the benefit of the community. What works and what doesn't?

So for example, going into retirement homes and putting on a concert for people who are unable to leave the home. On a similar line of thinking, visiting people who are sick in the community and playing for them.

Another idea would be to teach music to refugees and international folk as a means to help them articulate their feelings and emotions even if they can't through words.

This video is of 3 people interrupting people who are jogging up a mountain and getting them to join in with "Eye Of The Tiger", a joy bomb of music. http://youtu.be/9VI1_0MRI9s

I'd love to hear your ideas!
i think van halen made the world a better place through music as he invented tapping. i think everyone can agree with me.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I've donated 3 albums, 30ish loops, and 15 compositions/midi to the public domain/zero commons license.

It gets used in all kinds of shit I don't know about, periodically I'll search really hard and find indie games and youtubers that use it.
I go play at old folks homes, I do about a 2 hour set. I play long enough that my buddy can go through an entire wing of the building and take all the old peoples money, pills and jewelry. So, not only am I doing some good for the world, I'm making a little extra money.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Making the world a better place through music.
Telling people to shut their stupid vulgur mouths unless they can word their thoughts and conversate harmoniously in a way to please everyones ears.
Unless your Phil Anselmo, then vulgar's ok.
Quote by -=Guitar Guy=-
I'd love to get some thoughts on how we as musicians can contribute our talents for the benefit of the community. What works and what doesn't?

So for example, going into retirement homes and putting on a concert for people who are unable to leave the home. On a similar line of thinking, visiting people who are sick in the community and playing for them.

If I did this...yeah, I believe that's called torture
busking in a warzone. you have to be really good at what you play, so that the enemy will be rendered speechless and docile.

and then surprise! you're a suicide bomber and you win the war for your country.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by -=Guitar Guy=-
I'd love to hear your ideas!

A worthy idea, certainly... but around here ^^^ no, no you really wouldn't. In here, likely only about 1 out of 20 actually have guitars/instruments anyway, and out of those 1 in 20, only like maybe a tiny handful actually know how to play them. (think I'm kidding? ---pick some of their profiles and really 'look' at them. LoL!)

(yes, I know there's the exceptions, and not talking about 'you' real players---you know who you are.)

Consequently, the musician wanna-be's are only here to make cool-sounding SLAM posts for their 7 to 13 year old pals to giggle over.

If you're serious, you might consider a re-post in another area. Good idea though, especially playing for old folks in nursing homes, though likely you'd have to tailor/re-structure your music a bit to fit their generation. Good luck.
Hippy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Another idea would be to teach music to refugees and international folk as a means to help them articulate their feelings and emotions even if they can't through words.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
"Another idea would be to teach music to refugees and international folk as a means to help them articulate their feelings and emotions even if they can't through words."

I'm not sure people who worry 24/7 what their next meal is going to be and where they are going to live care about playing the guitar or piano. It all sounds good but is a terrible idea in real life. **** they might kill you so they can trade your guitar in to feed their kids.

If you want to help and have no interest in housing/food/clothing for them... just give them a bunch of soccer balls and get the hell out of there. Or just gig with your band with all proceeds going to charity. 1 nights work donating 600 bucks in a shit hole country where people make 25 cent an hour goes much farther than free music lessons.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 18, 2014,
Quote by -=Guitar Guy=-

wouldn't it be better to teach them english so they can articulate their feelings and emotions through words ie a way that can actually be udnerstood

it's like you want to not help them at all
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by cheesefries
I'm not sure people who worry 24/7 what their next meal is going to be and where they are going to live care about playing the guitar or piano. It all sounds good but is a terrible idea in real life. **** they might kill you so they can trade your guitar in to feed their kids.

If you want to help and have no interest in housing/food/clothing for them... just give them a bunch of soccer balls and get the hell out of there. Or just gig with your band with all proceeds going to charity. 1 nights work donating 600 bucks in a shit hole country where people make 25 cent an hour goes much farther than free music lessons.

Cheesefries is right on on this... having been involved in a few 'international' refugee' situations/centers while in the military, many of those unfortunate people can be downright desperate. If not for themselves, then for their starving or sick children. Plus, unfortunately you can have some 'hard-core' bad guys 'mixed' in with the more innocent refugees, and some of those sorts can cut your throat for a pack of cigarettes or a flashy cig lighter and never give it a second thought...so sporting obviously expensive musical gear around them could very possibly end up being a really bad deal.

The charity gig is an excellent idea for 'that' sort of situation. You can even announce it to your audience and pass a hat (if the club owner agrees to it) and you'd be surprised how generous people can be sometimes.

Nice going CF... spot on post.
Yeah you could just give people money, which can be helpful sometimes, but eventually you actually make the situation worse. People who are dependant on handouts actually show higher levels of depression and even though you have the best intentions in mind, you fail to provide a better future and never change their fundamental beliefs about themselves.

If you're looking at short term events, then the most effective way you can help is to just fulfil a need. But if you're embarking on a long term journey with people then you should trying to improve every area of their life, treating them like equals, partnering with them and helping them manage their resources.

So we can either just throw money at problems and try and make them go away, or actually involve ourselves in peoples lives to actually make a difference. I want to know how this community does the latter.

To the people who said "Why not just teach them English"...obviously you will be talking to people if you're teaching them a skill.
Quote by Beowolff
In here, likely only about 1 out of 20 actually have guitars/instruments anyway, and out of those 1 in 20, only like maybe a tiny handful actually know how to play them. (think I'm kidding? ---pick some of their profiles and really 'look' at them. LoL!)

Lol Axel is that you
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
Lol Axel is that you

Beowolff

nah man axel is a fox not a wolf

Quote by Beowolff
In here, likely only about 1 out of 20 actually have guitars/instruments anyway, and out of those 1 in 20, only like maybe a tiny handful actually know how to play them. (think I'm kidding? ---pick some of their profiles and really 'look' at them. LoL!)

from "[looking]" at yours you were born in 1955

that means you were a product of the time when the "best" guitarists of the day were sloppy as all hell hacks that couldn't hold a candle to any proficient guitarist of the last 30 years

everyone knows that "actually [knowing] how to play [guitar]" wasn't invented until at least the mid 1980s with stuff like Racer X and Yngwie and then Shawn Lane in the 90s and stuff like that

you know

where they actually played more than just some shitty ass sloppy blues scales and out of tune "soulful" bends like Hendrix and Jimmy Page and all the guys that were considered to be "good" in those days

it's pretty laughable

you're like... not even throwing stones from a glass house

more like throwing cesium in an igloo
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 19, 2014,
We can write music about degrading women, killing, doing drugs, and satan.

Wait... nvm we got it covered
Quote by Beowolff
A worthy idea, certainly... but around here ^^^ no, no you really wouldn't. In here, likely only about 1 out of 20 actually have guitars/instruments anyway, and out of those 1 in 20, only like maybe a tiny handful actually know how to play them. (think I'm kidding? ---pick some of their profiles and really 'look' at them. LoL!)

do you actually believe this?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by theogonia777
Beowolff

nah man axel is a fox not a wolf

from "[looking]" at yours you were born in 1955

that means you were a product of the time when the "best" guitarists of the day were sloppy as all hell hacks that couldn't hold a candle to any proficient guitarist of the last 30 years

everyone knows that "actually [knowing] how to play [guitar]" wasn't invented until at least the mid 1980s with stuff like Racer X and Yngwie and then Shawn Lane in the 90s and stuff like that

you know

where they actually played more than just some shitty ass sloppy blues scales and out of tune "soulful" bends like Hendrix and Jimmy Page and all the guys that were considered to be "good" in those days

it's pretty laughable

you're like... not even throwing stones from a glass house

lol...whoops! ^^^ ---your ignorance is showing (again.) no surprise there though.
this is stupid.

the world becomes better by money. Lots of fuking money.

music helps people who like music and the message of music. It doesn't change shiiiiit for society overall.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by theogonia777

That wouldn't work too well..... at least not at first anyway. You would have better luck with cesium and a lake.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by k.lainad
this is stupid.

the world becomes better by money. Lots of fuking money.

music helps people who like music and the message of music. It doesn't change shiiiiit for society overall.

This. Look at LiveAid.
Quote by Beowolff
I don't just believe it... I KNOW it. So do you. LOL.

i don't know it, LOL,

quit being so elitist.
Quote by Eastwinn
i don't know it, LOL,

quit being so elitist.

There you are confused again, doggone it... there's nothing elitist about being able to tell the difference between bull-crap and/or truth, fake and/or real, serious and/or stupid, grownup talk and/or baby talk. That's called maturity...not elitism. It's something you learn, by long and careful experience (one isn't just born with it, nor do they teach classes at school on it or show it on TV.)

You take the measure of a person by their actions and deeds---and by their obvious intent. Not by how 'loud' (or ugly) they talk incognito on a forum while hidden by the safety and miles of the internet.

Quote by Beowolff
There you are confused again, doggone it... there's nothing elitist about being able to tell the difference between bull-crap and/or truth, fake and/or real, serious and/or stupid, grownup talk and/or baby talk. That's called maturity...not elitism. It's something you learn, by long and careful experience (one isn't just born with it, nor do they teach classes at school on it or show it on TV.)

You take the measure of a person by their actions and deeds---and by their obvious intent. Not by how 'loud' (or ugly) they talk incognito on a forum while hidden by the safety and miles of the internet.

ya no you're being extremely elitist by drawing a line between 'real' guitarists (single quotes yours) and fake guitarists, assigning connotations to each, and positioning yourself firmly in the 'real' guitarist position. that's about as mature as a middle schooler asserting that they're a real cal ripkin jr. fan because they have his lunchbox.

also, i am Ean Scott Dent of Annapolis, Maryland, United States. there is only one of me. be sure to harass me so we can have you banned
Quote by Eastwinn
ya no you're being extremely elitist by drawing a line between 'real' guitarists (single quotes yours) and fake guitarists, assigning connotations to each, and positioning yourself firmly in the 'real' guitarist position. that's about as mature as a middle schooler asserting that they're a real cal ripkin jr. fan because they have his lunchbox.

also, i am Ean Scott Dent of Annapolis, Maryland, United States. there is only one of me. be sure to harass me so we can have you banned

You are now required by law to name your firstborn Arthur. Even if it's a girl.
Quote by Eastwinn

one again you're 'firmly' missing the mark...lol, (and not surprising.)

Huh? ---I'm an elitist because I assign a quotation mark to a quote about being a real guitarist over the obvious 'fake' ones hanging around here that are trying to prove their manhood/musical skills/coolness by talking loud, hateful and nasty ---and giggling about it the whole while???

If you're looking for an elitist... check the mirror (first.) You'll see one staring right back at you.

I sing and play for my supper (I contribute here.) I don't freeload, like so many others do. I dunno, maybe somehow (in some other universe) that 'might' appear to make me 'look' like an elitist, or at the least maybe it might to a person that don't actually contribute and was scrambling desperately to try and make some sort of point (even if they couldn't.) shrugs.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Someone really feels like they have something to prove.

It ain't me. LOL. I have 'nothing' to prove. My music and my life has proven all that for me already. I treat people with respect and kindness...(whenever they will 'let' me do so.) I don't run in packs (cause I can stand on my own two feet.) And you'll never see me jump into a thread and slag it out or try to ruin it with BS and mean and or hurtful blarney.

I give help and respect to those that give help and respect 'back.'

---Can you say the same?
Quote by Beowolff
It ain't me. LOL. I have 'nothing' to prove. My music and my life has proven all that for me already. I treat people with respect and kindness...(whenever they will 'let' me do so.) I don't run in packs (cause I can stand on my own two feet.) And you'll never see me jump into a thread and slag it out or try to ruin it with BS and mean and or hurtful blarney.

I give help and respect to those that give help and respect 'back.'

---Can you say the same?

But you don't treat people with "respect and kindness". You're in here, calling people "freeloaders"; insinuating that those who disagree with you are "'fake' guitarists" or that they're immature; when you don't know a single one of them. You certainly don't know me.
What I do see is you jumping into threads and patronizing people with you're "y'all listen t' granpaw now, I dun bin seen it all hyuk hyuk hyuk" crap.
Page 1 of 2