I'm rewriting the guitar part(s) for this song my band is doing. Originally I wrote a simple punk progression: A E C# D two measures each, repeated twice for a total of 16 measures per verse.
For a lead part I just did octaves an octave higher (A octave on the A string, 12th fret while the rhythm guitar plays a standard A power chord).
Most of us agreed I should make the song more complex, and I was already a bit dissapointed with the simplicity of the song, so I tried writing some riffs.
I got lucky with a couple riffs, but I'm completely stuck. Can I get some advice?
I'd like to make it sound sort of All-American Rejects meets For You My Lady, if that makes sense. Like a subtle but complex set of riffs that can fade into the background while the emphasis is on the vocals, and be repeated throughout the verse without sounding too repetitive.
Any tips?
I'm new here. Hurt me plenty.

Guitars: Epiphone SG Special, Epiphone Les Paul Special, Epiphone AJ-100ce
Bass: Some kind of Fender P-bass knock-off
Amps: Fender Mustang I, [Some sort of] Crate, Peavey Microbass
Play a melody under the progression that works with the vocal melody. Pop punk does this a lot.

For instance start by playing the triad arpeggio of each chord while that chord is playing - A major, E major, C# minor, D major. The A major scale works for this progression, build from there.
Try alternating between some power chords on the top half of the guitar and some single notes with hammer-ons or pull-offs or whatever goes to the beat.

If you are playing 4/4 it would be

1-------2-------3-------4-------
c---c---c---c---n---n---n-n-n-n-

or

1-------2-------3-------4-------
c---c---c---c---c---c---n-n-n-n-

where c is chord and n is note.

Hope that helps
Last edited by Victorgeiger at Jun 21, 2014,
Also,Put the guitar down for abit and listen to the track with no lead guitar.Think of how you want it to sound in your head,Write the riffs mentally and then try to work them out on the guitar.This may take time and effort but the result may be awesomeness!