Hello. I need a pedal that's perfect for heavy metal. Something that sounds very similar to the tone by the lead guitar in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0p60Y6IyY

Current gear:
- Peavey 6505+ 112 60W combo
- ESP LTD MH 1000-NT

Yes, i'm aware that if I had gone with a Jet City amp things would have worked out much better, but all three that me and my brother ordered came broken, so we just went to GC and bought that Peavey combo amp.
If by lead guitar you mean the actual solo, I'd say a tube screamer clone. I like the green rhino personally.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
If by lead guitar you mean the actual solo, I'd say a tube screamer clone. I like the green rhino personally.

What if I want to get that rhythm sound at 1:10? Will that pedal work for that too? I'm mainly looking for that kind of sound.
That's just a distorted guitar riff slide. It's more smooth technique than gear.

But yea, get a tubescreamer for the 6505+. Because it's a ****ing 6505+!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd think so, though I dunno if you actually need the pedal to pull that tone off. 6505's certainly have enough gain and are probably tight enough for it (I'm guessing on that last part). Are you having trouble/have you actually tried getting this sound yet?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Get a tube screamer clone.
I'd say either the bad monkey or the gfs greenie.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by lemurflames
That's just a distorted guitar riff slide. It's more smooth technique than gear.

But yea, get a tubescreamer for the 6505+. Because it's a ****ing 6505+!

I'm not talking about the slide, i'm talking about the riff that goes on for like 15 seconds. But yeah, the tubescreamer you say?

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I'd think so, though I dunno if you actually need the pedal to pull that tone off. 6505's certainly have enough gain and are probably tight enough for it (I'm guessing on that last part). Are you having trouble/have you actually tried getting this sound yet?

I have. I've messed with all the knobs and I really can't get that tone. Damn I miss that overdrive from the Jet City amp that I had.
Last edited by Granata at Jun 18, 2014,
Before the slide? Sounded like a bunch of pinch harmonics and crazy trem wanking. But maybe you mean after the slide, I'm not really sure.

But yes, tubescreamer. Great tool for tweaking your amp's distortion even further.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Before the slide? Sounded like a bunch of pinch harmonics and crazy trem wanking. But maybe you mean after the slide, I'm not really sure.

But yes, tubescreamer. Great tool for tweaking your amp's distortion even further.

Lol okay, let me make this clear before I get a tubescreamer and have it not sound like that at all.

Hear the guitar at 1:12 - 1:15? That type of sound. And if a tubescreamer does work perfectly for that type of sound, which tubescreamer should I get? I see a lot of them online. A link would be appreciated. I never used a pedal before, so i'm fairly new to this.
Ah, I see now.

Quote by Spambot_2
Get a tube screamer clone.
I'd say either the bad monkey or the gfs greenie.

One of these should be fine. You can also get any Ibanez Tube Screamer used for cheap. Check out Guitar Center's site for used pedals.

Put it in front of the amp with the Drive/Gain at 0 and the Level/Volume at max playing through your lead/distortion channel on the amp. Tweak the amp's gain to remove any excess noise. Too much gain just makes it a muddy, noisy mess. Just have to find that balance.

Here's a quick video showing what an overdriven amp can sound like, just to give you an idea. Only picked this one because it is the first that came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5xKkFaZdE
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Jun 18, 2014,
First off, that recording is at least double-tracked if not four-tracked. (Means there are 2-4 recordings of the same guitar riffs blended together). Especially on the leads, as I heard some harmonizing going on there. Secondly, there is a bass line on the recording too. You will never get your one guitar take to sound exactly like that recording -- even if you use the exact same rig Synester Gates used on the recording.

Next, get a tubescreamer (or clone). Maybe get an EQ pedal too. Your amp will go beyond the gain of that recording already -- you don't need more distortion. You just need a TS and mess with your EQing some more.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Ah, you need a Chuck Norris overdrive.

But seriously, some sort of tubescreamer. Bad Monkey on the cheap, Green Rhino if you want to spend a few extra bucks.

To do it exactly, you need a studio and a few hours overdubbing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification