Poll: Which pickup set would you get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which pickup set would you get?
SD SH6 distortion SH2 Jazz
3 21%
SD SH5 custom SH2 Jazz
3 21%
Iron Gear Hot slag set
1 7%
Iron Gear Hot slag, rolling mill
0 0%
Something else
7 50%
Voters: 14.
So im taking the Bareknuckles out my LTD and wanting something a little less in-your-face-im-gonna-rip-ya-balls-off kinda output.

Been looking at Seymour duncan and Iron Gear pickups.

SD's: Duncan distortion SH6 bridge, Jazz Sh2 neck
Duncan custom Sh5 bridge, Jazz SH2 neck

Iron Gear: Hot Slag set
Hot Slag Bridge, rolling mill neck

Play stuff from Lamb of God to Foo Fighters (so something thats gonna help with that sound.

If anyone has any other options then please let me know.
Budget is around £70
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
It's not on there as an option, but the JB is a mint medium output pickup that works well in neck or bridge positions believe it or not! But the Jazz neck pickup can't go wrong. I have it in two of my guitars and it's so versatile
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
have you considered a '59 for the neck? or just the jazz. i have personally preferred the '59 to the jazz.

and also i can't remember which guitarist (if not both) for a very long time used a '59 in their bridge and neck both. but the neck does it fine. i would tend to go JB with the bridge.

i haven't ever played an iron gear so i can't help you there.

(i forgot to say Lamb of God. )
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 19, 2014,
The '59 is one of my favorite SD pickups.

Also, Bareknuckle DOES have less powerful pickups. The Rebel Yells are a favorite of mine.

Others I'd look at: Tesla OPUS or VR-Extremes, RailHammer HyperVintage or Chisel, or some of the Lace pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 19, 2014,
I agree with SD Jazz for the neck, and I also happen to like them for the bridge - I have them in two guitars. I could go for anything on SD's "Vintage humbucker" list that didn't have a cover:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/

Depending on the guitar and what style/sound I wanted to play. The SD tone comparison chart and sound bites might help:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

FWIW, I tried an SD JB and didn't like it - too warm and muddy in series wiring. This was through a warm-sounding amp. I traded it after a couple of weeks.
Did you post what BKP you had in to start with, I didn't see. Would help to know what you have and where you want to be sound wise
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Had the warpig bridge and a painkiller neck.
Tried the JB and didn't like it that much, the tone chart said to use the distortion or the custom so I went with those. Already have a 59 in another guitar so I'm wanting something a little different. Used to have a jazz in an old guitar and I miss it's sound so thinking bout picking one of them up again just unsure on bridge.

Sound wise its probs more to the rock (foo fighter/alter bridge) kinda sound but I want the pickups to be useful for LoG type stuff too.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Mark Morton's DiMarzio sig pups should be perfect for what you want. Pretty sure they're the Dominions. The Breeds that he used to use should do what you want really well too.

Otherwise check out the SD Custom 5 / '59.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd go with the IronGear Hot Slag, have one installed in my BC Rich Bich and sounds awesome. What about the Steam Hammer also got one in another BC Rich tuned to C#, does Black Sabbath and Sepultura quite well I'd say the Hot Slag is more towards classic rock 80's metal. Hope that helps
Ive been thinking about the dominions but they're out my price range. Pretty sure a 2nd hand set would be too. Tis why I've been thinking about the iron gears. Got a set in my PRS and I love them. Or a 2nd hand set of SDs would be nice.

Some food for thought though guys. Cheers.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Well ive just bought a SH2 jazz neck for £25 so im on the hunt for a bridge pickup now.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Try a Lindsay Fralin Trembucker. Usualy is more bassy and jazzy sounding IMO.
Quote by Wiegenlied
this thread is now about phil kessel

Quote by eGraham
Call child protection services on yourself, because you're in the position of caring for a child and you're asking a music forum how to console it.
I've got a hot slag in my SG. It has a similar flavor to the JB. I wouldn't pay the extra for the SD
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thinking about the SD custom.
Been offered a Dimarzio Evo bridge too. Any input on that one?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
wee bit niche maybe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
at this point i would say a SD custom [fill in magnet here]

i would go with an alnico 5 probably myself, but i am not you. i don't remember which number that is.

this may be a turn off a bit, but i love Gibson 500t pickups (come stock on V's and Explorers and maybe some other things). the have balls and grit but still managable. and $50 on eBay? again long shot. i put one in my Gibson LP for bridge to replace the 498t, huge difference. and i have them in my Gibson Gothic V (200X model, not a newer one).

those are one of few tolerable factory pickups, other than dirty fingers, and 57 classics, and the pickups on my wolfgangs that i don't feel the need to ever really swap. unless i felt like pissing money away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So i did a bit more reading up on reviews and ended up going for a very cheap 2nd hand SD SH5 duncan custom.
SH2 jazz neck SH5 bridge.

Debating to have them wired to push/pull coil tapped though but that means buying more pots and stuff for them.

Thank you for everyones help in this thread

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
no worries

let us know what you think when you get them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan Distortions are far more versatile than you might think. I have them in a Schecter and am very surprised at just how versatile they are. And they can do the heavy stuff as well as any!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley