Hello all, I usually post here looking for new toys for myself but I'm here today for the wife. She has a pretty good dynamic mic that works great when we are jamming, I play some In This Moment/Evanescence/Flyleaf stuff for her when we jam normally. She has always been in love with this look of mic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dynamic-microphones/shure-super-55-dynamic-microphone

but I have been showing her some others and she likes the look of these as well
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/condenser-microphones/mxl-4000-multi-pattern-fet-studio-condenser-microphone

I know little about mics outside of the cheap sm58s or similar mics I've dealt with in live bar bands and similar gigs. We are working on doing more stuff but mostly she just likes having fun around the house but she has a great range and could easily front a band so I'm pushing her. We are turning out sunroom into a studio which I've made a thread about in the past. I would like her to have a good quality mic that she also likes the look of. if these aren't up to par please post some go would suggest.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
There is one trick that the Shure SM58 does better than pretty much every other mic out there - handling noise. Other mikes can sound as good (or better) but none I've come across can beat the SM58 for handling noise. If she holds the mike in her hands, it's worth spending the extra on a real SM58.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 18, 2014,
nah we have a sm58 and some others, I'm looking for something for jamming at the house and stuff like that. That said, if the sm58 still holds better than these for that, then, hey more money for my stuff lol, but she has been asking about some vocal pedals to give her some of the types of changes I can make hitting guitar pedals. I've told her I know nothing about their quality so if the sm58 is as good or close enough for what we are wanting, maybe I can get some suggestions for a vocal processor for just standard effects for her
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'd just stick with the SM58. They're good at what they do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The mic's you are looking at are good for studio work, but I would not use them for live performances. I agree the SM58 is one of the best live vocal mic's out there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok so, since we already have the Sm58, is it worth it once studio is finished to buy the Rode or one of the other mics? Seems for now what we have is sufficient but wondering for future if we should buy one for what we have planned after we are set up for a good practice space and hopefully recording space as well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Ok so, since we already have the Sm58, is it worth it once studio is finished to buy the Rode or one of the other mics? Seems for now what we have is sufficient but wondering for future if we should buy one for what we have planned after we are set up for a good practice space and hopefully recording space as well.

Yes, when you have a studio set up, a good Condenser Mic or Ribbon Mic is a great asset to have.

The Shure Super 55 is a cool mic, but only if your going for a old school or rockabilly type sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Eh, she just has always loved the look of the Super 55. Not so much the sound. Her love for that mic is only for the looks lol. Anyway, I think for now we should stick with our Sm58 and when we start recording, then we will get a GOOD condenser. Thanks for the help guys
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Eh, she just has always loved the look of the Super 55. Not so much the sound. Her love for that mic is only for the looks lol. Anyway, I think for now we should stick with our Sm58 and when we start recording, then we will get a GOOD condenser. Thanks for the help guys

Well if she likes the looks, Shure does make another mic that looks almost the same and is cheaper also
www.musiciansfriend.com/dynamic-microphones/shure-55sh-series-ii-mic.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ahh the fashion statement. Got it! Shure 55 is a good supercardioid mic suited for live work and has "the look" for certain.

A large diaphragm condenser like the Rode is all about excellent sound and detail but they are pretty fragile and pick up EVERYTHING in the room so feedback and mic bleed are a problem for live use. Save the Rode for studio work wearing headphones and all is well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Had to chuckle a bit: the SM58's were around 30 years ago (and likely beyond) and were cheap but efficient little workhorses for everything from garage bands to church music ministries. I had and maintained about a half dozen of them, and you practically couldn't kill the things (and believe me, a few of the folks I traveled with REEEEALLY tried!)

The MXL's are broadcast quality studio mics and have excellent tone across their spectrum. If you watch ESPN at all, catch shows like Mike & Mike, Colin Cowherd or Scott Van Pelt and you'll see them in daily use. I'm not sure how they'd do as a stage mic, but for recording you'd be hard pressed to find better.

I've always loved the vintage look of the Shures. There's some compression in the middle tones, but these were really popular for everything from traditional jazz, country, rockabilly, etc. These would probably be a bit more forgiving as a performance mic, but either way I think your wife would be happy with the way both of these sound.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp