Just realized this is in the wrong forum. Can a mod move this to GB&C please?

So, I have an old 1987 Ibanez RG135 that I want to restore to a playable instrument, even if its playing slide in an open-tuning. I also want to learn how to solder and repair my instruments, so I figure its a win-win. When I bought it last year I don't think it was played since the 90's. I want to replace everything if I can find it. And if I'm really ambitious I want to sand it down and re-paint it. I want this guitar to be something I can enjoy playing, and also have it be my learning platform.

My plan:

- Sand down and re-paint guitar (maybe)
- Clean frets with #0000 steel wool
- Rehydrate fretboard with lemon-oil
- New nut (maybe)
- New tuners
- New bridge (no idea where to find one)
- Replace SC neck and bridge pups with HB's
- New pots and knobs (p'up selector missing tip)
- Resolder all connections
- Shield control cavity (don't know how)
- Strap-locks

Any advice guys? I have zero experience with soldering anything, and haven't modded anything. Not a guitar, or pedal or, god-forbid, an amp. But I want to learn.

Thanks guys.

Pics of said guitar...:

Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jun 19, 2014,
Well, my first rule of restoration is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This applies to most of the hardware and solder joints.

Clean and dress the frets, clean and lube the hardware, change the pickups to something you might like and follow wiring instructions carefully. Re-finish if you must but then it no longer becomes a restoration. A Van Halen Frankenstrat paint theme might be fun.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well, my first rule of restoration is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This applies to most of the hardware and solder joints.

Clean and dress the frets, clean and lube the hardware, change the pickups to something you might like and follow wiring instructions carefully. Re-finish if you must but then it no longer becomes a restoration. A Van Halen Frankenstrat paint theme might be fun.

+3.1415 if the bridge doesn't have a burr or heavy wear it doesn't need replacement. if the tuners hold tune, you don't need new tuners. if you repaint it, it would forever be devalued. (not that it will be a $10k guitar)

make sure to tape pickups off with painters tape whenever you are using steel wool.

i am a believer of re-wiring. i would save what is on there, get new pots, switch, etc and your choice of pickups.

any metal surface can look a LOT nicer after some #0000 steel wool, just be careful around pickups. tape them off.

you can also buff out the guitar a bit, extremely fine cut rubbing compound. i like 3M for that but i can't remember which product i used. i don't have it here. again FINE CUT.

have fun and make sure you get some before and after pics. and have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm with Cajundaddy on this one. Drop the bridge and other hardware (except for the pickups, of course) into one of those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, then lube and put it back on. I'd leave that paint job alone. If you want something different for a while, google Axe Wraps and have them work up a cool transit vinyl wrap for the guitar. Very inexpensive. That color is an 80s/90s gem.

Oh, and spend some money at StewMac and get some fret erasers:

OK, this would be my action plan, as used by me on four upgrade projects:

Think about how to replace the current HSS pickguard with an HSH version. Will a standard Fender type fit? Can you get one that is correct? Can a Fender one be used even if it isn't an exact match? Make one from scratch? (I've done that a few times.)

Glue up any cracks in the neck pocket, and trem and control cavities if necessary

Make a universal pickup rout in the body. This just needs a sharp chisel and a mallet, a router isn't essential.

I personally wouldn't repaint the body, I would just buff it up. However, if I did repaint, I would do a bit of research into techniques and materials - eg sanding sealer, nitro colour coats, clear nitro top coats. I did one body with spray can self-catalysing poly, it is OK as a rough job, but I wouldn't use it for a decent restoration.

Replace all that cheap looking electronics and the pickups.

Check that the frets are level and in good condition. If not, level, crown and polish as necessary.

Clean up the fretboard and hardware. Leave the back of the neck as-is if OK.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 19, 2014,
Have you thought about putting a p90 in? That'd make for a pretty unique Ibanez if it fits in your plans for it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
A P90 would be a deadly idea. Neck P90, middle Single coil, and bridge humbucker.

?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame