Hey y'all,

I have a basswood guitar with a maple top and an HSH pickup configuration. I wanna put Duncans in for a vintage rock kinda tone that's very honest and very touch sensitive. I've been thinking of:

SD 59 > Something > SD 59
SD JB > Something > SD 59

so on and so forth (if you have any suggestions throw them out there). As for the middle pickup, I have no idea. I've heard good things about the SSL-1 and I know Eric Johnson uses a SD Antiquity for his strat but those are the only two I have come up with. If you guys could offer suggestions on the two humbuckers and especially suggestions on the middle pickup that would be awesome. Thank you!

Cody
SSL1/SSL2 (staggered vs flat polepieces, same wind) is pretty much the single coil version of the 59 - it's a vintage sounding pickup. Should blend well with either set. Personally, I'd do something like Custom 5-SSL1-59, but that's because I'm not a fan of the JB.

By the way - Basswood with a maple top - this wouldn't happen to be a Suhr of some sort, would it?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Are you looking to blend pickups (2nd and fourth position on a strat) or use it by itself (or both), and are you looking to complement the tone of these pickups with a bright single coil or mellow it out with a warm one? Also, do you have 500Kpots or 250kpots?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 19, 2014,
Ssl-1
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
JB is probably too hot for vintage tones- you want something paf-y, or hot paf-y.

'59 in the neck is nice. so is the jazz. '59's a bit harder sounding, jazz a bit smoother.

SSL1 is nice for vintage single coil tones. Not sure I've ever tried it in an HSH setup, though. (I have one in a framus diablo but it's more HSS with a hot rails in the neck, and also slightly weird wiring so I can't use the middle single coil alone).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Use the antiquity as a mid, get an SD JB for the bridge, and an SD 59 in the neck. SHould sound amazing. (I set up my brothers guitar like that and it sounds great)
Quote by Wiegenlied
this thread is now about phil kessel

Quote by eGraham
Call child protection services on yourself, because you're in the position of caring for a child and you're asking a music forum how to console it.