I play all kinda of rock and metal, looking for a great tube head to just put hook up to my Marshall MG50CFX (only gonna be used as a speaker when i get the head), I like the sound of both of these amps, so i thought I'd get some other opinions. Any input?
Last edited by EquipmentHead at Jun 19, 2014,
Get the valveking 1x12 combo.

What you DO NOT wanna do is plugging an amp into an MG speaker.
You know they say all that bad stuff about marshall MG's?
Well, half of the hate comes from the speakers.
They sound plain bad, don't plug anything into them, sell it and get something good sounding instead.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd get the VK just because I don't like BS advertising policies
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The new ValveKings are sweet. Awesome features, finally offering tube monitoring at low prices.

That said, just sell your MG and get the combo version.

Better yet, tell us your budget and wherabouts in the world you are, what you want to sound like, and we can help you find what's best for your situation.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I played the 20W valveking and it is very versatile. The only blackstar I played is the Stage 60 and it's great, but I don't know if it translates down to the 20W version. I'd get which ever one is cheaper if you like them both equally.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
the blackstar is hybrid, not all-tube (since you said you wanted a tube amp)

the older valvekings had solid state clipping when the boost was engaged, but you could turn it off (and then it was genuinely all-tube). Not sure about the newer valveking.

what's your budget and what type of tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the blackstar is hybrid, not all-tube (since you said you wanted a tube amp)

the older valvekings had solid state clipping when the boost was engaged, but you could turn it off (and then it was genuinely all-tube). Not sure about the newer valveking.

what's your budget and what type of tones are you after?

Snore..

Get an amp based on whether it sounds good, no point getting hung up on whether it is 100% tube (which i'm fairly certain both of these are, tube preamp and tube power amp??)-
Quote by EquipmentHead
I play all kinda of rock and metal, looking for a great tube head to just put hook up to my Marshall MG50CFX (only gonna be used as a speaker when i get the head), I like the sound of both of these amps, so i thought I'd get some other opinions. Any input?

Take the same guitar (and maybe pedals, depending on your mentality) you're gonna be using to the store and try out both amps, playing the same kind of music you'll want to be playing when you buy them. Shouldn't take you less than 15 minutes. Make sure you have a half-decent guitar first so you don't misjudge either amp.

And I agree with the MG criticism. The speakers are very subpar and sound like an old radio. You may not even need external speakers.

Also have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_MznIzqKk
Quote by guitarhead045
Get an amp based on whether it sounds good, no point getting hung up on whether it is 100% tube (which i'm fairly certain both of these are, tube preamp and tube power amp??)-
I thought only the 1w and 5w blackstar HTs were hybrid Dave, you sure even the 20w one is?

Anyway, we strongly feel like pointing out blackstar amps aren't all tube because we all strongly despise their shady marketing policy, and we wouldn't wanna have people going around praising the warm blackstar HT's all tube sound.

And it's not only blackstar: I was chatting with a guy at a music store who told me his ENGL gigmaster head was all tube.
I felt bad telling him otherwise.
I don't want to feel bad again for that reason
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 20, 2014,
^ Yeah I strongly suspect most, if not all of them, are hybrid. Only the 100 watters in the HT range have 3 preamp tubes- considering most modern-style tube amps use a whole 12ax7 for the phase inverter, that only leaves two triodes for the preamp, which is not a lot for the amount of preamp distortion those things put out (not to mention multiple channels etc.). Not absolutely impossible, of course, but based on their form with the HT5, I'm going to be suspicious.

Even 3 12ax7s is not all that much for a complex, multi-channel high gain amp. I think I've heard the 100s have tube phase inverters, though. But they might still have shenanigans in the preamp.

And yeah I suspect the gigmeister is hybrid, too. BS is far from the only company doing this, but I still don't like it.

Quote by guitarhead045
Snore..

The dude said he wanted a tube amp- it's his money and therefore his prerogative to like what he likes, and to decide what to buy based on whatever criteria he wants. I figured it was worth pointing out- I know I'd be pissed if I spent a fortune on something thinking it was all-tube and it turned out not to be, and I afford others the same courtesy.

The HT series is hybrid (at least the vast majority of the models, and very probably all of them, are). There are schematics floating about online. They have a ton of solid state shenanigans going on in the preamp (gain stages, diode clipping etc.) and the models with two preamp tubes have a solid state phase inverter (and the phase invterter is normally considered to be in the power amp).

I agree that he should buy what he likes the sound of, and maybe you can get too anal about these things, but at the same time it's his money and his choice, and IMO he deserves to get all of the information so he can make his own mind up. Deciding to go for a Blackstar HT if he already knows it's hybrid is one thing- that's an informed choice, and I have no problem whatsoever with that. But I'm going to point out they're hybrid if it looks like people think they're all-tube, because (in my opinion, anyway) they're not.

Plus I mean you can hardly take the moral high ground considering you're posting incorrect information. If you think correct information = "Snore", then I suppose that's your prerogative but I think that says more about you than me. I mean, if you don't care if your amp is powered by bananas, that's absolutely your right, but you don't have the right to tell others what they should care about, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Even 3 12ax7s is not all that much for a complex, multi-channel high gain amp. I think I've heard the 100s have tube phase inverters, though. But they might still have shenanigans in the preamp.
Aww **** I got tricked about not two product but a whole ****in product range
Quote by Dave_Mc
And yeah I suspect the gigmeister is hybrid, too. BS is far from the only company doing this, but I still don't like it.
Yeah, the gigmaster is hybrid.
It has a tube power section but the pre is filled with solid state stuff.

I don't know if it sounds as bad as the blackstar though, I've yet to hear a bad sounding ENGL so I reckon they might have found a way to make them sound nice at least
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
(a) Aww **** I got tricked about not two product but a whole ****in product range
(b) Yeah, the gigmaster is hybrid.
It has a tube power section but the pre is filled with solid state stuff.

(c) I don't know if it sounds as bad as the blackstar though, I've yet to hear a bad sounding ENGL so I reckon they might have found a way to make them sound nice at least

(a)

Yeah I mean when the ht5 was released at the start I just assumed it was all-tube, too. I was actually sort of interested in it at the start. Luckily my usual procrastination saved me and I never got round to even trying it before the word got out that it was hybrid. I still haven't got round to trying it

(b) Yeah I figured it had to be hybrid with just one 12ax7 and a push-pull power amp.

(c) I dunno, it's the principle of the thing, if you ask me. It doesn't really matter how great it sounds (though obviously it's better if it sounds good rather than bad) if they're not being completely straight about what it is. In my opinion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno, it's the principle of the thing, if you ask me. It doesn't really matter how great it sounds (though obviously it's better if it sounds good rather than bad) if they're not being completely straight about what it is. In my opinion.
IMO, that's exaggerated.

I mean we live in a capitalist world where stuff sells half because of what it is and half because of marketing - if we were to look at all of the false or misleading advertisement, we'd not buy a lot of the stuff we do buy because we like/use the product.

Just the first example that comes to my mind is the reissues thing: lotsa people, marshall for example, sells reissues of their products implying they are the same products as they were years ago.

Or to drift from guitar stuff there's the AKG C12VR, which uses a capsule named CK12 (the same name as the original C12's) which isn't an original CK12 at all.
It's not like they wrote a line about that on the C12VR's product page...

I think it's best to inform everybody of what these products actually are, and to throw shit at the companies who do that by informing everybody of what they are actually buying, but if the thing sounds good I don't think I could care less about the marketing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah I realise that, but I still don't like it. I don't like it with other products either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?