Hello all, 1st post here. Longtime electric guitar player.

I haven't recorded anything in many moons so I am way behind the curve as far as getting stuff online. All of my equipment is now old school, lol.

Here is what I want to do.

1) Record songs and post them online, mostly guitar demo type stuff of riffs and leads with drums

2) Collaborate with others, adding my elec guitar to their stuff

3) Post vids such as the thousands of others giving lessons online etc

------

Here is what I have. Yes, all old stuff now

1) Roland VS840 8 track

2) Elec guitar, acoustic-elec, various effects, amps

3) SM57, SM58, AKG C3000 mics

4) Behringer ultragain pro tube mic preamp

5) Art Quadra/FX effects

6) Dr-5 Dr Rhythm Section drum machine

7) Acer Aspire Laptop 1.86GHz, Windows 7

So what all else do I need?

I gather that I will need something like a focusrite 2i4 to interface with the computer? I know this is used to get guitar directly to the computer but will this also get the audio out from my Roland vs840 onto the computer? (the Roland has various output jacks but I dont remember exactly what they are at the moment)

I am clueless as far as recording software for the comp. I have heard of DAW software such as reaper. I assume I would need that if I want to do any mixing etc on the comp but would I need it just to get stuff from my vs840 onto the comp to post it online?

any feedback and ideas would be great, thanks, JP

btw here are some old examples of my playing, all before 2003 and some back to 96 lol

A mixolydian mode example http://members.toast.net/jusjoking/A%20Mixolydian%20Jam%201.mp3

Bm Aeolian example (same exact solo over different backing chords) http://members.toast.net/jusjoking/BM%20Aeolian%20jam%201.mp3

http://members.toast.net/jusjoking/Desert%20Miles.mp3

http://members.toast.net/jusjoking/Moody%20sunrise.mp3

anyway, I have a lot of music in me that I need help getting out
Quote by JohnProphet
I gather that I will need something like a focusrite 2i4 to interface with the computer?
Yes you will need one, if you want to record stuff without passing from the vs840.
If it's not a problem to record stuff through that, you might as well just get a Y box to connect the its stereo output to your computer's line input.
Not that good of a quality, but an audio interface such as the 2i4 isn't worth the improvement if that's the only thing you'd be doing with it.

Thing is, since you want to record stuff and mix stuff and collaborate with other people, you may want to be able to connect your guitar directly to your computer to, say, record your guitar over some other parts while you're hearing said other parts together with the guitar.
Quote by JohnProphet
I am clueless as far as recording software for the comp. I have heard of DAW software such as reaper. I assume I would need that if I want to do any mixing etc on the comp but would I need it just to get stuff from my vs840 onto the comp to post it online?
No you wouldn't need it if you wanted to move stuff between the vs840 and the internet.
Thing is, mixing stuff and putting stuff together and working with stuff is much more convenient with a DAW, so check out reaper's free trial at least.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
looks like my laptop only has a 1/8th" input jack. Thats gonna be pretty low quality huh? or will it still be similar to the vs840?
I'm also looking at a lack of monitoring.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by JohnProphet
looks like my laptop only has a 1/8th" input jack. Thats gonna be pretty low quality huh?
The size of the connectors doesn't in any way affect the sound quality.
Quote by JohnProphet
or will it still be similar to the vs840?
It will pick up the stuff coming out of the vs840, no more no less.

I'd still look at the interfaces sticky in this forum, what you wanna do is doable with what you have but it would be a lot better if you went digital.

Also, yeah, what do you monitor your stuff with?
Monitoring in this case means listening to the audio you're working with.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.