Hello, i've been playing guitar for around 10 months and i have the cheapest guitar ever (it came with some accesories and i paid like 30$ for that). The guitar is baaaaad so i've decided it's time to get a new one but better.I don't have much money so i can't afford a gibson or a good epiphone. I found two guitars that are in my price range and they are Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Washburn win14. I checked the reviews and both guitars have some good and some bad reviews. Which guitar do you think is better?
the reason both those guitars have good and bad reviews is because both those guitars have poor quality control.

you didn't look at the sticky and give us all of the info that you were supposed to but i'm assuming you have an extremely low budget. in that price range there aren't any consistently good guitars. you might buy one that plays like a 200 dollar guitar, you might play one that plays like the guitar you already have.

sometimes a beginner can justify buying a cheap guitar just to get started with, but you already have a cheap guitar. I say - do not purchase anything else until you can save up 200-300 bucks at a minimum. then start looking for a used mexican-built fender strat or telecaster, a higher end used epiphone or a used PRS SE.
If you want an acoustic, get a FG700S. It's a solid top, so you can't go wrong with that.

If you want an electric, i'd go for a Yamaha pacifica.
Yeah, i'm looking for a guitar for ~250 dollars. I don't live in america so i can't buy from musiciansfriend .com and it looks like they're much cheaper than where i live. For example here epiphone special 2 costs 150% more than there.I would like to buy a good used guitar but last time i checked there weren't any.
Yamaha pacifica costs even more than that epiphone and i like les paul special 2 better.
I just found Jay Turser JT-220. Doesn't look like a bad guitar. Well, i'm going to read the reviews.
Quote by vaidasx
Yeah, i'm looking for a guitar for ~250 dollars. I don't live in america so i can't buy from musiciansfriend .com and it looks like they're much cheaper than where i live. For example here epiphone special 2 costs 150% more than there.I would like to buy a good used guitar but last time i checked there weren't any.
Yamaha pacifica costs even more than that epiphone and i like les paul special 2 better.
I just found Jay Turser JT-220. Doesn't look like a bad guitar. Well, i'm going to read the reviews.

Where are you located? And also, which amp do you currently have? I'd say the amp usually is 75% to 90% of your tone, so it may be worth upgrading the amp first.

But anyway, the Epiphone Les Paul Special II is a low-quality, mediocre guitar.
If you go used, you can probably get a much better guitar. Can you look around and tell us which used guitars are available to you?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by paul.housley.7
the reason both those guitars have good and bad reviews is because both those guitars have poor quality control.

also most of the people buying them are beginners so the people writing the reviews are beginners and they probably don't know what they're talking about

EDIT: in case that wasn't strongly enough implied, don't really bother reading reviews too much. you normally get much better help on a forum.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Linkerman
Where are you located? And also, which amp do you currently have? I'd say the amp usually is 75% to 90% of your tone, so it may be worth upgrading the amp first.

But anyway, the Epiphone Les Paul Special II is a low-quality, mediocre guitar.
If you go used, you can probably get a much better guitar. Can you look around and tell us which used guitars are available to you?

I live in Lithuania and i have a Laney lx20 amp. I'm probably not going to upgrade it. I'm planning to buy an adapter to pc or headphones so i could practise silently.

There are a few not horrible used guitars available. I found a few squier bullets, epi special2, epi sg, vintage vs6 but thats about it

So far these are guitars i could buy: squier bullet,epi special2 and sg, washburn win14, jay turser jt-lt, YAMAHA EG-112UC2, jay turser jt-220. I could probably buy epiphone lp-100 ON CHRISTMAS if i'd save every penny and starve but I doubt if i'd be able to do that I'd rather buy a ps4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° But lp-100 is very similiar (from the photos) to jay turser jt-220. I looked up the reviews of jt-220 and they were all positive.
Quote by vaidasx
So far these are guitars i could buy: squier bullet,epi special2 and sg, washburn win14, jay turser jt-lt, YAMAHA EG-112UC2, jay turser jt-220. I could probably buy epiphone lp-100 ON CHRISTMAS if i'd save every penny and starve but I doubt if i'd be able to do that I'd rather buy a ps4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° But lp-100 is very similiar (from the photos) to jay turser jt-220. I looked up the reviews of jt-220 and they were all positive.

Out of those, the Yamaha EG-112 is probably the better guitar, I'd go for that one.

Yamaha's quality control is pretty good (I haven't found a brand-new bad Yamaha for sale yet), and their guitars are well-built, reliable, and sound very nice for the price.
If the previous owner took good care of it, it should be still in great shape.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Out of those, the Yamaha EG-112 is probably the better guitar, I'd go for that one.

Yamaha's quality control is pretty good (I haven't found a brand-new bad Yamaha for sale yet), and their guitars are well-built, reliable, and sound very nice for the price.
If the previous owner took good care of it, it should be still in great shape.

Well it doesn't have the previous owner because it's in the music shop and it's brand new. It costs exactly the same as the special2 and the jay turser jt-220. The eg-112 and jt-220 are currently the best for me. Those jt-220 humbuckers,23 frets, set neck, les paul style sure sound nice :> . It shouldn't be a bad guitar. Now i really like it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°
Look, you're obviously not that bothered if you'd rather buy a ps3 than a new guitar so I'd say just get the Epiphone Les Paul. The Pacifica is a much, much better guitar but if you 'like the epi better' than get that one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Quote by Linkerman

For beginners (like the OP), "tone" is going to be the last thing on their minds. Learning to play the guitar is primary, and finding a guitar upon which you CAN learn is step one.

We're at a point now with technology where an amp (as we know it) probably isn't necessary at all. Over the past week, I've plugged my guitar into, variously, my iPhone, my Korg PX-5D, a Pod HD (all three with headphones) and from there into a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors, into a 1500W power amp feeding a pair of fEARless F115s, and into a large PA array and mixer.

The Korg, for example, provides amp, cabinet and FX models. In addition, it includes a tuner, a metronome, a bass line generator, a drum kit plus rhythm tracks, a phrase trainer (takes a piece of a song from an MP3 and plays it over and over again so that I can learn it), a slower-downer (slows down the speed of a song without affecting the pitch), a pitch changer (leaves the speed of the song as is, but changes the pitch if I need to learn the song in a different key) and more. When run into a laptop via a USB cable, you can record (software is provided) and hear yourself back or play along with your own backing. As a practice device, it's far more useful than an amp. The whole thing will run off AA batteries (or a small AC wart), and it's easily able to fit into your pocket.
Quote by dspellman
For beginners (like the OP), "tone" is going to be the last thing on their minds. Learning to play the guitar is primary, and finding a guitar upon which you CAN learn is step one.

Agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Look, you're obviously not that bothered if you'd rather buy a ps3 than a new guitar

ps4* i just don't want to spend all my money on a guitar and later realize that i'm not getting any better. Plus, if i won't like my guitar even if it's very good, it surely wouldn't motivate me.
Quote by dspellman

We're at a point now with technology where an amp (as we know it) probably isn't necessary at all.

Yeah. When i get a new guitar, i'll probably get a very basic effect proccessor too.Or just plug the guitar to my pc.
Quote by dspellman

We're at a point now with technology where an amp (as we know it) probably isn't necessary at all. Over the past week, I've plugged my guitar into, variously, my iPhone, my Korg PX-5D, a Pod HD (all three with headphones) and from there into a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors, into a 1500W power amp feeding a pair of fEARless F115s, and into a large PA array and mixer.

The Korg, for example, provides amp, cabinet and FX models. In addition, it includes a tuner, a metronome, a bass line generator, a drum kit plus rhythm tracks, a phrase trainer (takes a piece of a song from an MP3 and plays it over and over again so that I can learn it), a slower-downer (slows down the speed of a song without affecting the pitch), a pitch changer (leaves the speed of the song as is, but changes the pitch if I need to learn the song in a different key) and more. When run into a laptop via a USB cable, you can record (software is provided) and hear yourself back or play along with your own backing. As a practice device, it's far more useful than an amp. The whole thing will run off AA batteries (or a small AC wart), and it's easily able to fit into your pocket.

Agreed 100%- as I've said elsewhere:

If you're only planning on playing through headphones and/or interfacing with your PC for the forseeable future, consider a portable digital modeling device like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found):

Boss Micro-BR 4 track http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818
Boss Micro-BR 80 http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167
Pocket POD http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc
Tascam GT-R1 http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/
Korg Pandora Mini http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc
Korg Px4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em
Korg Pandora Stomp http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/
Korg Px5 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling. So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Agreed 100%- as I've said elsewhere:

Thanks man!
Can you order an Agile? The AL2000 goes for bout $2-250. They sure as hell don't play that cheap.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Can you order an Agile? The AL2000 goes for bout $2-250. They sure as hell don't play that cheap.

No, i couldn't find any Agile guitars for sale.