I bought a new Fender '65 DRRI about a week ago. Everything works great, except when I use my Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, the vibrato channel has a rattling-buzzing-vibrating sound, even at fairly low volumes. If I use the pedal on the normal channel, there is no buzz. Is this because of the reverb on the channel? At high volumes with natural tube breakup and no pedal, there is no buzz.

I've read that these amps take pedals very well, so could it be the pedal I'm using?
On those,
V1 is normal channel
V2 is Vibrato preamp
V3 is Reverb driver
V4 is reverb recovery
V5 is Vibrato
V6 is the phase inverter

It is quite possible that V2 is dodgey. As it's a new amp I'd first try just pulling it out and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, try swapping V2 with V5. Keep the vibrato turned off. You're trying to locate the fault, not fix it by doing this. If the problem disappears after the swap, you need a new tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
is it a physical rattle sound ie not coming through the speaker or is it just distortion of an ugly high frequency? the bright cap on the vib channel can take some getting used to, may need to turn the treble down on the amp or tone down on the pedal.
Quote by 7thString
is it a physical rattle sound ie not coming through the speaker or is it just distortion of an ugly high frequency? the bright cap on the vib channel can take some getting used to, may need to turn the treble down on the amp or tone down on the pedal.

It sounds like there is a spring rattling inside the speaker if that makes sense. I think the problem is the bright cap, because I read elsewhere that turning up the amp can solve this problem, and that seemed to work. However, I'm not sure turning down the treble or tone would be much of an improvement on the overall sound. Does this mean I have to stick with the normal channel at lower volumes? I have no reverb or delay pedals and would really prefer to use the vibrato channel.
Its a pretty subjective issue, I personally like the bright cap and only play the vibrato channel. If you have an electro-acoustic, use that to A/B the channels and it will give a very clear idea of what that bright cap is doing to the sound. For me, I mainly use the neck pickup, with amp settings 8 and 10 for treble and bass respectively. I have tried a few overdrives through the vibrato channel and didn't really like them either so I think I get what you mean. A fuzz through it is usually because I like my fuzz trebly... I also sometimes use a DS-1 with the tone set to about 10 o'clock, distortion about 12 oclock for some lower volume dirt sounds. Have tried a couple of tube screamers but it really only works to boost the amp when its already up loud (vol on at least 7/10).

But yeah its pretty subjective.. I like things quite bright, others hate it. The DS-1 was a complete fluke, I really expected it to sound fizzy and horrible but with the settings i mentioned, works really well when the amp volume is below about 4.

Hope this helps sorry for rambling, love my drri
Quote by Cathbard
On those,
V1 is normal channel
V2 is Vibrato preamp
V3 is Reverb driver
V4 is reverb recovery
V5 is Vibrato
V6 is the phase inverter

It is quite possible that V2 is dodgey. As it's a new amp I'd first try just pulling it out and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, try swapping V2 with V5. Keep the vibrato turned off. You're trying to locate the fault, not fix it by doing this. If the problem disappears after the swap, you need a new tube.

When this has happened to me that's always been the fix