Please help me out. I'm looking to buy a new (used is fine) acoustic/electric and have it somewhat narrowed down to the Ibanez EW (Exotic Wood) models or a couple of Yamaha models which are either the APX500ii, CPX500, FGX700SC or FG720SCA.
My budget really needs to stay around $350.

I know that the Ibanez EW and Yamahas are night and day pretty much. I will be doing most of playing straight acoustic and from what I've hear online the Ibanez has a much softer, fuller and louder sound. I've never played a Yamaha, but they have a great reputation and I'm curious about them.

Anyway, what I'd like any good input and would love to hear you opinions on what you would choose out of my list as well as other suggestions I might not be turned on to.

Thanks In Advance!

- Rick
the thin body yamahas like the APX series are the only lower priced yamahas that have consistently disappointed me. the ibanez exotic wood series is like the dean series you asked about in another thread - all laminate guitars with fancy veneers over the laminate to catch the eye. the problem is that a laminate top is going to contribute to a boxier tone, whereas the yamah FGX700 has a solid top.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I don't know much about the Ibanez exotic woods. They sure look nice but it doesn't specify if they are solid top or not and I have no idea what the sound properties of ash or zebra wood are like. I have an Ibanez aef30e which is about the same price range as the ew's and it has a solid maple top. It's a thinner body. In camparison with my washburn(dreadnaught) solid top spuce, all I can say is that they both sound good but different. The thinner body and maple top doesn't give as much bass but it has a nice crisp bright sound to my ears while the washburn has a richer deeper sound. In sound quality I'd say they are both are very good but quite a bit different. Of course if you are using an amp, you can make them sound how you want. As far as playability, I really like the feel of the Ibanez fretboard. Both are well built guitars. The only experience I have with Yamaha is with my classical which is a completely different animal but of course Yamaha has a good reputation. You are looking in the right direction for your price range. Best bet would be to try them out at a store if possible.
Thanks to both you.

I made it out for a short time today to our local music store and was able to play a couple of solid top acoustics and acoustic/electrics for just a little bit. I only played what was in relative price range and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled by any of them. Tried a couple of Yamaha FG730s, a couple Takamine and a couple of Alvarez. They all seemed very dull and lifeless. Best of the bunch was a Takamine GD-30 if I remember correctly.
I think I actually prefer that brightness and projection of some of the laminated models in my price range.
Awhile back I had a couple of Epiphone solid tops, an AJ220 and a Dove Pro. They sounded much better to me than what I played today. That being said, I would still like to find something that I like without going back to Epiphone. Not sure why I feel that way but I want something different.
Quote by KarateRick
....[ ]....I made it out for a short time today to our local music store and was able to play a couple of solid top acoustics and acoustic/electrics for just a little bit. I only played what was in relative price range and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled by any of them. Tried a couple of Yamaha FG730s, a couple Takamine and a couple of Alvarez. They all seemed very dull and lifeless. Best of the bunch was a Takamine GD-30 if I remember correctly.....[ ]....
Before you condemn any particular specimen of a guitar, you have to ask, "how long has this been hanging here, and how many people have tried it before me"? The strings could be shot from playing or just hangin' around. Then too the reflectance of the room is also something to consider.

Of what you've listed the Ibanez EW is likely to be near the worst unplugged, and near the top when plugged in. This because of the built in chorus, which really does have a nice sound.

If you really think the guitars in question are, "dull and lifeless", you have to consider the possibility of a bit of hearing loss due to, "acute too loud prolonged music listening overdose". In human males, the high frequency spectrum is the first to go, sorry to inform".

When you listen to acoustic guitar on record, there is usually, at minimum, a healthy dose of reverb added to deepen the ambiance.

Then there's the issues of strings. If you're looking for a, hot, bright, twangy sound, then 80/20 alloy brass or bronze strings could be your ticket.

Most models ship with phosphor bronze, which are pretty laid back and mellow sounding.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Before you condemn any particular specimen of a guitar, you have to ask, "how long has this been hanging here, and how many people have tried it before me"? The strings could be shot from playing or just hangin' around. Then too the reflectance of the room is also something to consider.

Of what you've listed the Ibanez EW is likely to be near the worst unplugged, and near the top when plugged in. This because of the built in chorus, which really does have a nice sound.

If you really think the guitars in question are, "dull and lifeless", you have to consider the possibility of a bit of hearing loss due to, "acute too loud prolonged music listening overdose". In human males, the high frequency spectrum is the first to go, sorry to inform".

When you listen to acoustic guitar on record, there is usually, at minimum, a healthy dose of reverb added to deepen the ambiance.

Then there's the issues of strings. If you're looking for a, hot, bright, twangy sound, then 80/20 alloy brass or bronze strings could be your ticket.

Most models ship with phosphor bronze, which are pretty laid back and mellow sounding.

Not trying to condemn any make or model. Just sharing my experience. I'm looking at reviews now for Taylor 110e and Taylor Big Baby 307gb. These might be right my alley if I can find a used one in good condition.
Quote by KarateRick
Not trying to condemn any make or model. Just sharing my experience. I'm looking at reviews now for Taylor 110e and Taylor Big Baby 307gb. These might be right my alley if I can find a used one in good condition.
Correct me if I'm wrong in my comprehension of English, but, "dull and lifeless", constitutes a description which could be easily be construed as a "condemnation".

My choice of terminology notwithstanding, did you find any of the rest of my post of value?
Quote by Captaincranky
Correct me if I'm wrong in my comprehension of English, but, "dull and lifeless", constitutes a description which could be easily be construed as a "condemnation".

My choice of terminology notwithstanding, did you find any of the rest of my post of value?

Well, I'm not sure. If I am condemning everything I don't like then I am probably just full of condemnation.., but I think I can not like something without condemning it. But, hey, I'm a martial arts instructor not a guitar or linguistics expert. I'll leave you to determine such things as language comprehension and all things tonal. I just know what does or does not sound good to my ears. Whether they be going bad or not is irrelevant to me. I want to play something that I enjoy hearing.
Listened to some video reviews of the Yamaha LL6. Now that thing sounds sweet!!!! If I could find one used... maybe I buy something real cheap right now and save for the LL6 ot Taylor 110e.
we have a guitar store in a high humidity area, and often their guitars sound dull and lifeless because of too much humidity. and of course, it's typical that guitar stores have very old, gunked up strings that also make guitars sound dull and lifeless. because the yamaha FG730 is anything but - it's on the bright side, so i assume the store has issues.

the ibanez exotics are all laminates, and most of the woods they use veneers of on the tops aren't used as guitar top wood at all. they don't have the physical characteristics.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
we have a guitar store in a high humidity area, and often their guitars sound dull and lifeless because of too much humidity. and of course, it's typical that guitar stores have very old, gunked up strings that also make guitars sound dull and lifeless. because the yamaha FG730 is anything but - it's on the bright side, so i assume the store has issues.

the ibanez exotics are all laminates, and most of the woods they use veneers of on the tops aren't used as guitar top wood at all. they don't have the physical characteristics.
I tried explaining much of this in my post @
#5. In fact, I even elaborated a bit on some points.

I'm thinking either my post was, "dull and lifeless", or my keyboard has developed a stutter.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 21, 2014,