Looking for a new tube amp to step up from my THR10 (wonderful practice amp), because the tiny speakers can't handle my subterranean tuning (Drop D, octave down.)

As the title says, it'll be mainly used for doom and drone. I understand that volume plays a big part, but I'm not part of a band and mainly just play in my room. I'd only be using it during the day (headphones & THR at night), but I have understanding neighbours who won't care too much if I really crank it. That said, 50 watts is probably maximum (nothing too low powered, I'd like to one day be able to perform properly) and an attenuation switch would be a bonus.

Sunn stuff doesn't exist in Australia, and being a student Orange is (mostly) too expensive. I'm considering the Ampeg GVT52 (AU$700 for 50 watts!) and running a fuzz through that, but other suggestions would be nice.

thanks!
Laney AOR 30
Orange TH30
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401/201
Peavey VTM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
...so that's a no to the Ampeg?

Can't find an AOR ANYWHERE

But that or the Orange (as much as my wallet will hate me) seem like the best bet
Oh well, back to saving...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for them
Quote by Robbgnarly
Laney AOR 30
Orange TH30
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401/201
Peavey VTM

Those amps would be nice for a sludge sound. But doom/drone sounds are all bass amp. I'd say go with the Ampeg. But the older the amp the better. Try to pick up a vintage Sunn Beta solid state up on ebay. You will be playing stupid loud and with so much distortion tube vs solid state won't matter much.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Those amps would be nice for a sludge sound.

sludge is fine too
Quote by TheStig1214
But doom/drone sounds are all bass amp. I'd say go with the Ampeg.

The GVT is one of the few guitar amps they make/made (think they've been discontinued), but an SVT would be nice
Been on the lookout for a Beta for about a month, finding someone that'll ship to Australia and has a decent price has so far proved impossible
Last edited by PiecesOfQuiet at Jun 20, 2014,
I have never tried the new Ampeg GVT line, try one out if you can, it may work for you.

I pretty much classify sludge and doom as the same type of guitar sound, fuzzy with lots of low-end.

I don't know what they run where your at, but Matamp is also a good company to look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 20, 2014,
Your tuning is already in the bass territory so you might want to use something that's bass-friendly or maybe just use a bass amp.

Since you live in Oz, try track down an old Holden or Wasp amp. They are mostly big clean amps with lots of low end and headroom, loosely based around Fender Bassman/Marshall Superbass. With a good fuzz pedal you can get super heavy drone tone out of it.

Or maybe you can just get a solid state bass head with a small cab (1x15" or 2x10"). Ampeg Micro-CL/Micro-VR/PF350 etc.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Orange TH30

TH30 is mostly a classic metal/thrash voiced amp, you can't really get a super heavy drone/sludge sound out of it due to the design of the EQ control.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by Robbgnarly
I don't know what they run where your at, but Matamp is also a good company to look at

Matamp doesn't retail in Australia, afaik. Shipping + the expense of the amp itself kind of crosses them out. A Matamp would be nice, though

Quote by godgrinder
Since you live in Oz, try track down an old Holden or Wasp amp. They are mostly big clean amps with lots of low end and headroom, loosely based around Fender Bassman/Marshall Superbass. With a good fuzz pedal you can get super heavy drone tone out of it.

Or maybe you can just get a solid state bass head with a small cab (1x15" or 2x10"). Ampeg Micro-CL/Micro-VR/PF350 etc.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those first two.

I was looking at the PF500 for a while, but the micro-cl and vr come with cabs, so they might be more wallet friendly.
The PF500 has a power amp in, so I should technically (might sound like crap) be able to run the headphone jack of the THR into that to get other tonal options at higher volume, no?
I've never really thought about it for this application, but the Peavey ValveKing would probably kick ass for drone tones for really cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
The PF500 has a power amp in, so I should technically (might sound like crap) be able to run the headphone jack of the THR into that to get other tonal options at higher volume, no?

Yeah I guess you could. There are aux inputs on the Ampeg micros as well. However the thr's digital preamp have cab sim bulit in as the speakers in it are full range speakers. Running an already cab sim'd signal into an instrument cab probably wont sound that great.

I assume that you like Khanate? Are you going to do stuff in the same style?
Quote by Offworld92
I've never really thought about it for this application, but the Peavey ValveKing would probably kick ass for drone tones for really cheap.

I think there's one at the music shop closest to me (still an hour away, won't be going in for another 2 weeks), so I'll give it a try if I get there
from what I've just read on other forums, seems like it should work

Quote by godgrinder
I assume that you like Khanate? Are you going to do stuff in the same style?

How can you tell?

But yeah, hopefully. Just tuned lower.

Just noticed the Meatsmoke pre, you lucky bastard
Last edited by PiecesOfQuiet at Jun 21, 2014,
I have an Ampeg GVT52-112, and the clean channel is fantastic. It's an awesome platform for working with pedals, so it may work for you with the right pedals.

That said, even the drive channel may work great for you, since it's more of a fuzz than an overdrive or distortion. Stacking a fuzz or a distortion pedal on top of the amp's drive channel may produce excellent results for sludge.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Good to hear! Seems I'll end up getting that when I have the money, unless it gets sold before hand. Really liking what little I've heard of them being played.
Got a fuzz arriving in a few days, so that's covered. Not sure how "doomy" this particular pedal is, but it'll work for the time being.
Schecter Hellraiser C VI
Devi Ever DFD
Yamaha THR10X
Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
Good to hear! Seems I'll end up getting that when I have the money, unless it gets sold before hand. Really liking what little I've heard of them being played.
Got a fuzz arriving in a few days, so that's covered. Not sure how "doomy" this particular pedal is, but it'll work for the time being.

Which fuzz is it?
And which kind of sludge tones are you looking for, specifically?

I can try to replicate the sound using a fuzz similar to yours and record a clip, if you're interested.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Devi Ever Bi-Fuzz and Soda Meiser in one pedal
sig'd it even though it's not here yet (maybe it'll speed it up??)

Anything sludge/doom really, but probably newer Boris, Bongripper and Sun of Nothing (extreme distortion, I assume achieveable with OTT amounts of fuzz and gain) are the closest thing. Plenty of other stuff, but they're the most fuzz-based I can think of atm

Quote by Linkerman
I can try to replicate the sound using a fuzz similar to yours and record a clip, if you're interested.

If you could do that, I'd love you forever
Schecter Hellraiser C VI
Devi Ever DFD
Yamaha THR10X
Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
If you could do that, I'd love you forever

Done.

It's not much, I recorded it with my laptop's integrated camera and microphone, but it might give you a general idea.

I just have to sync the audio with the video (damn sound card latency, I couldn't use ASIO drivers with VirtualDub) and re-encode it to a smaller file size to upload to YouTube.
I'll post it here as soon as it's done.

Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
Devi Ever Bi-Fuzz and Soda Meiser in one pedal
sig'd it even though it's not here yet (maybe it'll speed it up??)

Ah, the Drone F*** Drone. I didn't notice the sig.

I don't have anything similar to it on my MFX unit, so I recorded the demo with my Deus Ex Machina fuzz (IC Big Muff upgraded clone).

Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
Anything sludge/doom really, but probably newer Boris, Bongripper and Sun of Nothing (extreme distortion, I assume achieveable with OTT amounts of fuzz and gain) are the closest thing. Plenty of other stuff, but they're the most fuzz-based I can think of atm

Surprisingly, I had to use much less gain than I was expecting. Either they don't use that much gain, or the Deus Ex Machina has way too much gain.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
How can you tell?

But yeah, hopefully. Just tuned lower.

Just noticed the Meatsmoke pre, you lucky bastard

Your username is pretty obvious haha.

My band is sort of a like cross between Burning Witch and Khanate, and we got James Plotkin to master our cd:
http://mosquitocontrol.bandcamp.com
Last edited by godgrinder at Jun 21, 2014,
Ok, so I recorded the video using my PRS SE Singlecut in drop-D, neck pickup with max volume and tone at 80%.

From 0:00 to 0:23, it's the Ampeg GVT52's clean channel.
From 0:23 to 0:53, it's the clean channel + the Deus Ex Machina fuzz.
From 0:54 to 1:10, it's only the clean channel again.
From 1:10 to 1:33, it's the Ampeg's drive channel (gain and preamp volume both at about 50%).
From 1:33 to 1:54, it's the drive channel + the Deus Ex Machina fuzz.
From 1:54 to 2:10, it's only the drive channel again.
From 2:10 to 2:33, it's the Signa Drive (Tubescreamer upgraded clone) used as a clean boost on the drive channel.
From 2:33 to 2:42, it's only the drive channel again.
From 2:42 to 2:51, it's only the clean channel again.
From 2:51 to the end, it's the clean channel + the Deus Ex Machina fuzz again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fu9tbaPuI

I'm not a big sludge or drone connoisseur, so I don't know how to properly dial the EQ for those tones. I settled for about 40% treble and mid, and 90% bass on the clean channel. For the drive channel, around 10% treble, 35% mid, 90% bass.

The drive channel seems too "grainy" for sludge, and adding the Deus Ex Machina fuzz resulted in a "broken" sound, almost like a blown speaker. IMHO, using the Signa Drive as a clean boost for the drive channel instead of the fuzz worked better.

In my opinion, you'd get the best results by using the Devi Ever DFD on the Ampeg's clean channel. It's really an excellent platform to build your tone with pedals, and I think the Drone F*** Drone would work perfectly with the Ampeg GVT52 for the tones you want.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by godgrinder
My band is sort of a like cross between Burning Witch and Khanate, and we got James Plotkin to master our cd:
http://mosquitocontrol.bandcamp.com

I found you on YouTube last year, but I was poor and couldn't find a torrent so I gave up. And now this. What a coincidence o.O
Love it, btw.
And did you get the name from the Isis album?

Quote by Linkerman
It's not much, I recorded it with my laptop's integrated camera and microphone, but it might give you a general idea.

It's perfect. You, sir, are a saint <3
Schecter Hellraiser C VI
Devi Ever DFD
Yamaha THR10X
Last edited by PiecesOfQuiet at Jun 21, 2014,
Quote by PiecesOfQuiet
It's perfect. You, sir, are a saint <3

No problem. I'm glad I could help you.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive