Hi,

I'm wondering if you buy one of the amps the original Vypyrs use for modeling, what are the chances it will sound like it?

Thing is i've tried to play around with all the amp models and settings on the Peavey and the tone i like the most is the Krankenstein(K-stein). Nomather how i set it up it always sounds good to me.

I was considering buying a real Krankenstein but then again I'm not sure if it's not gonna sound completely different than the Peavey model seeing as it's basically everything in it is completely different.

I can't try a Krankenstein beforehand since I need to order it internationally.

Any tips?
Last edited by Xioinor at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by Xioinor
Hi,

I'm wondering if you buy one of the amps the original Vypyrs use for modeling, what are the chances it will sound like it?

Thing is i've tried to play around with all the amp models and settings on the Peavey and the tone i like the most is the Krankenstein(K-stein). Nomather how i set it up it always sounds good to me.

I was considering buying a real Krankenstein but then again I'm not sure if it's not gonna sound completely different than the Peavey model seeing as it's basically everything in it is completely different.

I can't try a Krankenstein beforehand since I need to order it internationally.

Any tips?

I don't know, but if you like the Krankenstein model (if you do, you probably like the Diezel right next to it as well) try getting a Marshall. Those two models have that Marshall crunch.

By the way, before you decide that you like this amp model better than that amp model, make sure you play with the equalization carefully on your amp and the tone controls on your guitar.

I strongly suggest you do not buy an amp before trying it out. Even if you watch a hundred demos, you must try it first. An amp live is not the same as an amp on video and different equipment is used.
Quote by Kruggy
I don't know, but if you like the Krankenstein model (if you do, you probably like the Diezel right next to it as well) try getting a Marshall. Those two models have that Marshall crunch.

By the way, before you decide that you like this amp model better than that amp model, make sure you play with the equalization carefully on your amp and the tone controls on your guitar.

I strongly suggest you do not buy an amp before trying it out. Even if you watch a hundred demos, you must try it first. An amp live is not the same as an amp on video and different equipment is used.

Thanks for the info!

Yea, the Diezel is quite nice too. I like their sharpness.
About the Marshalls, my friend has either a JCM2000 or a JVM410H(not sure which) and it sounds incredible. But they're way above my pocket.

I have played with the controls, gain and EQ long and hard to try to find a replacement for the Krank amp model but I can't find any other that sounds as sharp and clear at high gain.

I'm from Norway and there's maybe 1 or 2 Kranks for sale in all of Europe so I can't test it unless I fly to the US first.
Last edited by Xioinor at Jun 20, 2014,
Yeah that's a bit of a dilemma there. I guess listen to as many clips online as you can of the real thing etc. Also try other good high gain tube amps and see how you like them- if you find something you like just as much, it'd be less risk to buy one of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Xioinor
Thanks for the info!

Yea, the Diezel is quite nice too. I like their sharpness.
About the Marshalls, my friend has either a JCM2000 or a JVM410H(not sure which) and it sounds incredible. But they're way above my pocket.

I have played with the controls, gain and EQ long and hard to try to find a replacement for the Krank amp model but I can't find any other that sounds as sharp and clear at high gain.

I'm from Norway and there's maybe 1 or 2 Kranks for sale in all of Europe so I can't test it unless I fly to the US first.

You don't necessarily need high end stuff like that. Try the DSL15 combo.
That sharpness may be related to the peavy vypr itself--if some models on the vypr sound like they're suffocating, too low and make you feel like you're playing a bass, that may be related to the vypr itself.

Instead of using the vypr as a sampling tool, go to the store and sample different real things yourself. Trust me, you'll regret it if you just go by the sound of a 99 dollar modeling amp, as great as it may be.

Also consider Orange amplifiers. Don't go for a cheap amp--save up and get something reliable.
Trying out the amps you like models of is a good place to start, but you definitely need to try them to make sure.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I personally think that the Vypyrs fall down compared to the real amp, well at least for the 6505 setting. Can't stand it on the Vypyr but now my 5150 (old name for 6505) crushes. . . . and they're both Peaveys. . .

You just don't have all of the fine tweaks and controls of the real amp - limited channels, no control over presence or resonance, etc. and all you have are Peavey's Blue Marvel speakers to listen through! Just a speaker swap between the Blue Marvel and the DSL15's combo speaker may be a game changer for you.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Kruggy
You don't necessarily need high end stuff like that. Try the DSL15 combo.
That sharpness may be related to the peavy vypr itself--if some models on the vypr sound like they're suffocating, too low and make you feel like you're playing a bass, that may be related to the vypr itself.

Instead of using the vypr as a sampling tool, go to the store and sample different real things yourself. Trust me, you'll regret it if you just go by the sound of a 99 dollar modeling amp, as great as it may be.

Also consider Orange amplifiers. Don't go for a cheap amp--save up and get something reliable.

Thanks for the awesome input.
I think the sharpness I'm talking about is simply lots of treble. From all samples i've heard on the net it seems Kranks are naturally high-trebled.

It is true that many models sound very muffled as if playing bass almost.

They actually have the DSL 15 at my local store, I'll definitely check it out.

Do you know of any more amps that have similarly high treble like the diezel or the krank?
engls are pretty bright in that respect

jet city on the cheap

not sure if as bright as a k-stein, i haven't tried a krank in ages.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hated the DSL 15 I tried. Was a muddy mess. I love kranks though. They're very unique, you may love it, you may hate it
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Like Dave said, definitely check out Engl. Considering where you live, that is probably the best option you're going to get. That sucks about not being able to get/try Kranks. Though to be fair, they are really rare even in the States over here.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Xioinor
Thanks for the awesome input.
I think the sharpness I'm talking about is simply lots of treble. From all samples i've heard on the net it seems Kranks are naturally high-trebled.

It is true that many models sound very muffled as if playing bass almost.

They actually have the DSL 15 at my local store, I'll definitely check it out.

Do you know of any more amps that have similarly high treble like the diezel or the krank?

Maybe it seems like "high" treble only when compared to other muffled amps on the Vypr. So maybe if you try out a random amp in the store it will sound just as trebly.

I don't think there's a need to venture beyond Marshall and Orange.

Oh and shipping an amplifier internationally will cost you tonnnnnns of money so you might wanna consider that.
OOOHHHHH YES. If you can afford an Engl get it. They nail that bright, super-saturated, ultra-clear sound. Your best bet for budget is an E530 plus a cheap tube combo to run it through.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Kruggy
Maybe it seems like "high" treble only when compared to other muffled amps on the Vypr. So maybe if you try out a random amp in the store it will sound just as trebly.

I don't think there's a need to venture beyond Marshall and Orange.

Oh and shipping an amplifier internationally will cost you tonnnnnns of money so you might wanna consider that.

I disagree - Krank amps are very well known for being particularly bright. Regardless of the Vypyr, that's pretty much their trademark "thing".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X