Forget my last thread. These are the two, with Big Baby Taylor in the mix that I'm shooting for. They seem very similar to me. Which one and why?
Last edited by KarateRick at Jun 21, 2014,
Thats a close race for sure. I would have to go with yamaha, I like the sound of the englemann spruce and the wider nut(for my sausage fingers) makes it easier to fingerpick.

Have fun choosing.........................................can't fault either pick.
being a Taylor fan myself, I would also choose the Yammie. nothing against the 110 but, like Ghobby stated, the Engelmann spruce has a sound all it's own.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i'd go for the yamaha because of the wider nut, and i also like englemann. but it seems like you like a brighter sound, and the taylor delivers a bright sound with a nice sparkle on the top end.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The more I watch and listen to videos the more I still can't decide. And then I ran across the Taylor 114 and ohhhhh booyy. The Taylor and Yamaha are very similar in what they are and yet different enough in tone for sure.

I think the Yamaha sounds like it would be more versatile, but my wife is learning the banjo and for Bluegrass type stuff, well the 10 and 114 just nail it.

And then there is a Taylor 114e locally for $400 and I started out wanting an acoustic electric to begin with... although now the electric capability has become less important to me, it would still be nice to have.
I wouldn't get a Big Baby, it's not a very good guitar. It doesn't have back bracing and it should, it also doesn't have bindings making it much more prone to cracking and splitting.

If you are bedroom playing I would probably take the Yahmaha. It's rosewood back and sides and Englemann (sp?) spruce top are going to make it a nice warm sounding instrument but the same thing that makes it great to just sit and strum will make it more difficult to record with. What sound mellow and warm acoustically often translates to boomy or mushy plugged in.

If you are playing on stage or recording I would go with the taylor 110. It's going to be brighter and tighter sounding which will make it easier to tame feedback, and control the bass. It will also sound great playing in your bedroom but it won't have the warmth of the yamaha.
Not taking any online orders.
the taylor 114 was on my list when i was buying guitars. if it only had at least a 1 3/4" nut, i might have bought it, but it's got 1 11/16".

btw, listening to recordings won't tell you must, as many are either recorded poorly or recorded and then tweaked to sound good. some are recorded using great quality mics and equalization. and the catch is that in stores, often the guitars have horrible very old strings or the store is too humid, which can muffle the sound of guitars.

that being said, you seemed to feel a lot of guitars were dull sounding, so i think as long as you're good with the 1 11/16" nut, the 114 would be a good choice as it's bright and lively. it's also more comfy than a dread.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I got out today to a local store and played the 100e and 114e (dreads). No one around here has the Yamaha LL6 so that sucks..
I will say that I loved both the 110e and 114e. Man those Taylors play smooth and the sound was really nice for me. I still am very intrigued by the Yamaha LL6 though and just wish I could try one out.

The store I went to had quite a few Yamahas, mostly low to mid range guitars and I didn't love anything about them. Not saying they were bad, just didn't do a lot for me. Next to the Taylors I actually liked the stores Alvarez models a lot. Not as much as the Taylor, but more than the Yamahas. The Alvarez models were a bit more expensive than the Yamahas I played though so not necessarily a fair comparison.

Anyway, I still have the LL6 on my mind, but I wouldn't be at all unhappy with those Taylors.
Well, I actually went on a whim and ended up going an entirely different direction. I ordered a used PRS SE Angelus Custom - straight acoustic. Like the LL6, I have never had the opportunity to play one. I went entirely on looks and youtube videos - something that, I know and have been reminded on this thread I shouldn't base my opinion on.

I almost immediately had buyers remorse over my decision and I'm pretty nervous about having potentially made a bad decision, but I'll just have to wait until it arrives and hope for the best. I should be able resale and recoup my money fairly easily if I don't like it.
i have never played a prs acoustic but the spec sheet says it should be good
hope you got an amazing deal - the PRS SE Angelus Custom seems to be off the hook expensive for a solid top, laminate back and sides guitar. you could have gotten an all solid entry martin for what these cost, and could have gotten an all solid recording king or blueridge PLUS a beater for the same money.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Jun 22, 2014,
^the specs on the prs site say solid rosewood back and according to a quick google search,in the UK, they about 1/4 the price of a martin with smilar specs.
Quote by patticake
hope you got an amazing deal - the PRS SE Angelus Custom seems to be off the hook expensive for a solid top, laminate back and sides guitar. you could have gotten an all solid entry martin for what these cost, and could have gotten an all solid recording king or blueridge PLUS a beater for the same money.

Solid back and top I believe. Ebony fretboard which is a selling point to me although the Taylor and LL6 also sport ebony. Paid $618 shipped with a hardshell case. Listed as "Mint". Not cheap and no steal by any means, but I should be able to recoup that if I don't like and need to flip.
The Angelis Custom, A/E version w/cutaway), is $859.00 new at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSANCUP?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CjkKEQjw_ZmdBRD1qNKXhomX_sEBEiQAc9XNUHpcrCFxfnuXqGNvhXWwpy0aqgJeZIeydHhyLkzh6onw_wcB

The standard version, is sitka, mahogany, rosewood, and the custom is sitka, rosewood, ebony.

The hype on Step's link seems to indicate these are imports, and not made in Maryland, USA. I have nothing against imported instruments, I only mention it to illustrate the reason it's at the price point it is.

Which further seems to place these in a competitive market with Guild's GAD series.

However, at least to my way of thinking, an all acoustic version, used, doesn't really seem it would be, "an easy flip", at the $618.00 price. (In my humble, (moderately uninformed) opinion, of course)).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 22, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
The Angelis Custom, A/E version w/cutaway), is $859.00 new at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSANCUP?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CjkKEQjw_ZmdBRD1qNKXhomX_sEBEiQAc9XNUHpcrCFxfnuXqGNvhXWwpy0aqgJeZIeydHhyLkzh6onw_wcB

The standard version, is sitka, mahogany, rosewood, and the custom is sitka, rosewood, ebony.

The hype on Step's link seems to indicate these are imports, and not made in Maryland, USA. I have nothing against imported instruments, I only mention it to illustrate the reason it's at the price point it is.

Which further seems to place these in a competitive market with Guild's GAD series.

However, at least to my way of thinking, an all acoustic version, used, doesn't really seem it would be, "an easy flip", at the $618.00 price. (In my humble, (moderately uninformed) opinion, of course)).

You may very well be right. I may have made a mistake. I only had Ebay completed listings to go by and price seemed fair for the guitar. I spent, what for me and my family is a lot of money. I can only hope I really like and if I do then that's really ll that matters. If it's a keeper then I did good and if not I need to try and sell it and probably go with the Taylor 114 which I liked a lot. But from the video reviews I watched and the reviews I've read this seems like a great sounding guitar. And in the end if I really like the way it plays and sounds then that's what really matters to me.
I just got my hands on a Yamaha LL6 A.R.E. and I am incredibly satisfied with it.

It has a nice and pleasant sound, and I am not sure how to properly say it, but it has a nice sense of control.

When playing finger style, it might not be as bright as some other models, however it still has a really nice sound to it.

The neck shape is incredibly pleasant, and so far I never had a moment where I felt that my hand got stuck on the neck.

Given the price of it I ended up feeling incredibly satisfied with it, and I think it is a well made guitar, that as of now, I can not find any issue, which stick out.