Page 1 of 4
To me, it just doesn't feel that international, at least not on a completely global scale. Things like Eurovision bring so many different countries together, it has a real global feeling. The World Cup just feels, I don't know, local by comparison.

So is it really the "World Cup" or is that just in name only?
Discuss.
Well seeing that the Eurovision is about European countries, and the World Cup has teams from every continent I think the World Cup is more global.

Better than the World Series in baseball, a sport which in only America seems to care about and only has American teams.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 20, 2014,
Wut? teams from every continent. How is this not global?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Its the Fifa Major League Soccer World Series in association with McDonalds.
Remember that world cup for American football?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It just doesn't feel like that big a deal outside of a certain set of countries, I guess. Like America, Botswana, Italy, Chad, etc. Do these countries care or is it just a passionate few that follow it so closely?
Quote by simoncheesecake
It just doesn't feel like that big a deal outside of a certain set of countries, I guess. Like America, Botswana, Italy, Chad, etc. Do these countries care or is it just a passionate few that follow it so closely?

America only like their own invented sports because they can't lose in it because no one else participates.

Who the **** cares about Botswana and Chad.

Italians ****ing love football.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by simoncheesecake

Because teams have to qualify for the World Cup Finals. The World Cup tournament takes 2 years to complete.
Quote by Neo Evil11
America only like their own invented sports because they can't lose in it because no one else participates.

Who the **** cares about Botswana and Chad.

Italians ****ing love football.

I care about Botswana and Chad, and besides they're just examples. Something like the Olympics, which another poster mentioned, seems to attract fervent passion from all over the world. The World Cup doesn't feel that way.

I'm currently finishing up a year studying abroad here in Italy and I don't think I've heard anybody mentioning the World Cup. The Six Nations rugby on the other hand while clearly far more local was a pretty big deal.
Quote by ElMaco
This is an obvious joke, don't take it serious people...

What makes this a joke? I just want to know why it's considered such a major deal when really it seems like the fervent passion for it stems from a few countries rather than being completely global. That's hardly knock-knock material.
Quote by simoncheesecake
I care about Botswana and Chad, and besides they're just examples. Something like the Olympics, which another poster mentioned, seems to attract fervent passion from all over the world. The World Cup doesn't feel that way.

I'm currently finishing up a year studying abroad here in Italy and I don't think I've heard anybody mentioning the World Cup.
The Six Nations rugby on the other hand while clearly far more local was a pretty big deal.

YOu just don't come outside of your hotel room then.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Do people really care about Eurovision?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Do people really care about Eurovision?

Bearded Austrian ladies do.
oh god it's this bland loser again
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Lmfao 10/10
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
To answer a few posts at once:

No I do not care about Eurovision, I was just using it as an example and while I agree that the World Cup is clearly widely viewed, I would love to know how it breaks down by country. Africa, Oceania and the United States do not seem particularly interested in it and parts of Europe as well. I don't know the situation in Asia and the Middle East.

Most of my friends here in Verona are Italian and they don't seem to mention it, maybe it's just the demographic I'm friends with but the Six Nations was shown in many local pubs here while the World Cup does not appear to be. Just my observation.
Quote by SMH07
Its the Fifa Major League Soccer World Series in association with McDonalds.

With MVP's everywhere!
Quote by theogonia777
oh god it's this bland loser again

That's really offensive and I don't appreciate being attacked by someone for asking a legitimate question on a board designed for discussion. If you have an issue with my threads, don't read them. It's a lot more of a mature and pleasant response than attacking me in this manner.
Quote by simoncheesecake

No I do not care about Eurovision, I was just using it as an example and while I agree that the World Cup is clearly widely viewed, I would love to know how it breaks down by country. Africa, Oceania and the United States do not seem particularly interested in it and parts of Europe as well. I don't know the situation in Asia and the Middle East.

Most of my friends here in Verona are Italian and they don't seem to mention it, maybe it's just the demographic I'm friends with but the Six Nations was shown in many local pubs here while the World Cup does not appear to be. Just my observation.

People in different parts of a country prefer different sports. In certain parts of England rugby is more preferred than football.

But, globally football is the biggest sport there is. Every single nation has a national football team and they all try to get into the world cup.
Quote by simoncheesecake

Wtf.
Quote by ErikLensherr

the clue is in the name
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
i actually have never watched any world-soccer/football-championship-game ever. not a single second of the world cup.
but i've never seen greenland included once in any of these events so i cant say that these are actually world events.
Quote by simoncheesecake

Did you just ask if Italy care about football..?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by steve_muse
Wtf.

Just an observation that you seem to hear of African teams doing well less frequently which to me suggests less of an investment on their part. Clearly not a negative at all. I know South Africa for example is heavily into Rugby and less so into cricket so maybe the interest is different there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps I'm mistaken and I hold my hands up if I am. I'm certainly no expert. That's why I started this thread, to get more knowledgeable perspectives on this.
Quote by simoncheesecake
Just an observation that you seem to hear of African teams doing well less frequently which to me suggests less of an investment on their part.

Just an observation that you make decent threads less frequently which to me suggests less of an investment on your part.

Not negative.

In seriousness, European football simply has more money to pump into development.
Quote by Bladez22
the clue is in the name

WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment, is run by Americans and has predominantly American wrestlers, although I use that term loosely. It also doesn't air in Ireland where I'm from, unless you use satellite British channels. Names aren't always entirely accurate. That is a lot of the reason I started this thread. As I said in the OP, is it just a name?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Just an observation that you make decent threads less frequently which to me suggests less of an investment on your part.

Not negative.

In seriousness, European football simply has more money to pump into development.

I don't know why people feel the need to critique my threads. It's easy to not read them if you don't want and it's not like I write them to attack people or cause harm on here. I'm just asking a question. It seems very rude and disproportionate to you not liking what I have to say.

Your second point is probably valid and that's fine, I accept that. I just wonder if the interest in these other continents is really that strong. Surely anyone can see that Europe and South America seem to dominate the interest in the tournament?
Quote by simoncheesecake
Just an observation that you seem to hear of African teams doing well less frequently which to me suggests less of an investment on their part. Clearly not a negative at all. I know South Africa for example is heavily into Rugby and less so into cricket so maybe the interest is different there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps I'm mistaken and I hold my hands up if I am. I'm certainly no expert. That's why I started this thread, to get more knowledgeable perspectives on this.

Cameroon, Ghana, Algeria, Ivory Coast, Nigeria are all in this. Regardless if they're doing well or not, you can't deny Africa's obviously a nation with great interests in football.

I mean continent, and I put Ecuador in there lolz woops
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by steve_muse
Cameroon, Ghana, Algeria, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Nigeria are all in this. Regardless if they're doing well or not, you can't deny Africa's obviously a nation with great interests in football.

Fair point but do they merely enter a team for the sake of it or is it an important thing to them, like do they watch all the matches, are there fervent supporters on any large scale?
Quote by simoncheesecake
WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment, is run by Americans and has predominantly American wrestlers, although I use that term loosely. It also doesn't air in Ireland where I'm from, unless you use satellite British channels. Names aren't always entirely accurate. That is a lot of the reason I started this thread. As I said in the OP, is it just a name?

Yeah but Americans call all their things "World" whatever, when it just contains America and Canada.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by simoncheesecake
Fair point but do they merely enter a team for the sake of it or is it an important thing to them, like do they watch all the matches, are there fervent supporters on any large scale?

Yes, maybe watch a match and look at the crowds
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Jun 20, 2014,
Page 1 of 4