I've owned a bunch of guitars up around the $1000 mark, but I'm making quite a bit of money this summer, and I'm looking into guitars around the $1800 max price point.

Things I would like:
-Ebony Fretboard
-Passive pickups
-Binding (on solid color guitars)
-Neck not as flat as an Ibanez

Things I require
-Floyd Rose or similar
-Carved top
-24 frets
-Neck Thru Body or very contoured set or bolt on neck - something that will get out of my way.

I play mostly metal, through a 5150. I'm cool with going used, and I live in Boston proper. I'm open to either 6 or 7 strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 20, 2014,
Sounds like you need a JP6 or a JP7. They don't have Floyds but their trems are very stable for being what they are. Otherwise, used Jackson Soloist.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
Sounds like you need a JP6 or a JP7. They don't have Floyds but their trems are very stable for being what they are. Otherwise, used Jackson Soloist.

No carved top on either, which is unfortunately a deal breaker. My current 7 is a flat top and it feels really weird to play compared to my other three (carved top) guitars.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Jackson SLAT Soloist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by lightningjoe88
Possibly a custom Carvin guitar? You can definitely get one for under $1,800

+1
I've definitely thought about Carvin.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
HOw did I forget my main guitar company I'd never be a good sponsor-e? Yeah, Carvin CT624C would be a perfect for you. Floyd, Carved Top, 24 frets, set neck and very VERY good for metal.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by strictly-diesel

I've never played a Horizon III, I am fascinated by them though. What's the body like?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 20, 2014,
you just described a carvin CT series with a floyd rose.

a JP would be very nice but i dont think any have carved tops.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Of course you guys are gonna hate me again, but...

Used PRS Custom 24, if I stretch my budget a little.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Ain't nuthin' wrong wit dat.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by oneblackened
Of course you guys are gonna hate me again, but...

Used PRS Custom 24, if I stretch my budget a little.

The US made Custom 24 is an awsome guitar. Its so awsome that i have owned 2, but the Mojo was too strong so now i have a Gibson Les Paul.
Schecet Hellraiser C1 FR. Its made in California and Schecters are renowned for being high quality. Floyd Rose on it choice of active or passive pickups and even an option of a sustainer.
Quote by eknumber9
Schecet Hellraiser C1 FR. Its made in California and Schecters are renowned for being high quality. Floyd Rose on it choice of active or passive pickups and even an option of a sustainer.

I mean, Hellraisers are Korean and are FAR below my price point and are not at all what I'm looking for.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 22, 2014,
Well, unfortunately, the Invader has 22 frets, and I freaking hate the JB...

Bowes isn't really what I'm looking for, honestly.

At this point, it's really between an older ESP Horizon FR-II, an E-II Horizon III, or a used PRS Custom 24 or CE24.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Both would be solid choices!

First thought was the ESP. I know I like them, they're impeccable quality, satisfies all my requirements.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I've owned a bunch of guitars up around the $1000 mark, but I'm making quite a bit of money this summer, and I'm looking into guitars around the $1800 max price point.

Things I would like:
-Ebony Fretboard
-Passive pickups
-Binding (on solid color guitars)
-Neck not as flat as an Ibanez

Things I require
-Floyd Rose or similar
-Carved top
-24 frets
-Neck Thru Body or very contoured set or bolt on neck - something that will get out of my way.

I play mostly metal, through a 5150. I'm cool with going used, and I live in Boston proper. I'm open to either 6 or 7 strings.

Quite a few Carvins will fit that description. Check out their 24-fret CS6.

If it were me, I'd be ordering up a semi-custom Agile AL-3200. LP-style body, but available as neck-through, contoured neck heel, tummy cut. Your choice of solid body wings or a chambered upper bout wing. Jumbo stainless frets available. 22 or 24 fret necks available. 24.75", 25.5", 27", 28.65" and even 30" scales available. 6 or 7 string available. Ebony f/b standard. Multilayer binding on body and headstock standard, single-layer fretboard binding, 14" radius. Wide (1 3/4" at the nut) neck available (even with a Floyd). 3/4" maple cap available, wide range of finishes available, passive AlnicoV pickups standard. www.rondomusic.com

If you can let go of the carved top, a whole lot of guitars open up to you. I'm normally a carved top player, but Carvin's flat top guitars are spectacular players. All 24-fret guitars, radii available to 20", stainless frets available and some absolutely spectacular woods and construction quality.

I'd also recommend the Line 6 Variax JTV-89F (F = Floyd) for consideration, since it's within your budget. This is a bolt-neck with a smoothed and contoured neck heel (I'm usually not a fan of bolt necks). Fretboard is rosewood, but the one I have doesn't have the grain I'm used to with rosewood; it's much smoother. Jumbo frets (24 of them), 16" radius, wide neck, passive pickups, slightly raised center of the body. That gives it some of the same feel as a carved top.

The neck is satin finished and stinky fast. The body is gloss. There's an American version (Hipshot tuners, etc.) that's about twice the cost of the Korean version. I could have had either, but honestly, I didn't see enough difference in the quality levels between the two; this is an excellent Korean guitar. The other reason I got the Korean is that I wanted to see if I liked the overall *idea* of the guitar (I've got two other older version Variax, and I'd actually originally planned on getting the LP version, which has a smooth set neck heel and a carved top). As it turns out, this may be the best version of the Variax of all of them.

They use a Graphtech LB63 Floyd. This is, I believe, a Schaller Floyd with the Graphtech piezo saddles installed. They feed the Variax electronics. Worth noting that this is the Variax "metal" guitar. The magnetic pickups are hotter than normal. but they've also done some things with the factor alternate tunings that are different from the JTV59 and JTV69. There are down and drop tunings built in all the way to Drop Bb and Baritone tuning. You can also set up your own preferences, and you never need to change string gauges OR string tension. It's all done electronically. You can drop any string up to an octave. You can also spread the tuning (I've done this) to get the range of an ordinarily-tuned eight-string. And, of course, you can raise any string's tuning -- you can play mandolin on the silly thing if you like. There are, of course, all the guitar models built in, but you can tweak those endlessly with the Workbench software available (free) for the guitar. All in all, I think the JTV-89F is an extraordinarily versatile metal player's tool. That said ( and since I'm not an exclusively metal player), it's an amazing guitar for other genres as well, if for no other reason than you can play single coil pickups with no noise at all, and acoustic guitar stuff with no feedback and a Floyd at your disposal. Guaranteed to raise some eyebrows first time you pull THAT off.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 22, 2014,
Quote by oneblackened
No carved top on either, which is unfortunately a deal breaker. My current 7 is a flat top and it feels really weird to play compared to my other three (carved top) guitars.

This is something you can definitely get used to, though. I started years ago with a 335 and followed that with a bunch of carved tops. If you rest a pinky on your picking hand, you get used to having it at a certain elevation <G>. In the late '80's, I bought my first Carvins (I'm at seven of them now), and my first impression was that the flat top felt really weird compared to my carved top guitars.

Over time, however, I got to the point where I was equally at home on either. And besides, the "plank" guitars (as I've always referred to them) were often lighter and faster to play and had better upper fret access than the carved-tops. I have a Gibson L5S and an L6S from the 70's. The body width and general shape are similar. The L5S is carved front and back, has 22 frets and will remind you of an LP. The L6S is flat, thinner, has a wider cutaway, and a 24-fret neck (Gibson's first ever) and, on mine, an ebony fretboard. It'll remind you of a road-killed LP. It's actually much easier to play in the upper registers than the L5S.
Seriously, the carved top thing isn't something I'm gonna move on. I've owned a few flat top guitars and I always come back to the carved tops.

Besides that, the issues I have with Carvin are that the pickups are just crap compared to everything else at that price point.

Also, Agile? For $1800? Really?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 22, 2014,
Ed Roman has a used Driskill Diablo for sale. Driskills are made in Fort Worth, one at a time, and they usually go for $3-5k, new. Unfortunately, they don't list prices, so if you're interested, you'll have to call or email them.

http://www.edroman.com/detail_sheets/driskill-guitar.html

While I was looking there, I noticed they also had a selection of JET guitars. They're another premium brand that you don't see very often.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/JET_for_sale.html

All of which reminded me: your budget is in the price range for some of the newer small American luthieries. You might be able to find something unique.

For example, consider Jon Kammerer guitars.
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_003.htm

His customizable standard models start @$1500 these days, $2500+ for full custom...and right now, he's having a 30% off sale. Options include choice of pickups- he has his faves, but you can supply your own- and configuration (SSS, HSS, HH, etc.), certain finishes, coil splitting, tremolo vs hardtail, etc. Or, as he put it, here's what $1500 gets you:

Satin or Gloss finish
24 fret fret board
Multiple pickup configurations with single coils, humbuckers, or P-90's
Case included
Limited lifetime warranty
Your choice of Hard Maple, Soft Flame maple, Walnut, or Cherry for the body.
Your choice of body styles from the guitars listed above
Gold, Chrome, or Black Hardware

I own one of his thinline acoustics, 2 hollowbody electrics, a semihollow electric*, and 2 solidbodies. Very good ergonomics and feel, pretty much equal to or better than anything I've ever played.

Of his lineup, I'd say the closest to your desires are the model currently known as the Scorpius.

And this is just one luthier out 3 I do business with, and there are literally thousands of them in the USA. Even if his stuff doesn't work for you, I'm sure there's someone out there who is making guitars you'd love, crafted one at a time.

* mine is essentially identical to this one:
https://reverb.com/item/34815-jon-kammerer-model-10-2hng

You can easily put new pups in a Carvin and be under your price range. Plus, you could probably sell the Carvin pups for some cash too. They have more than just one set you can choose from.
My Carvin is perfect for the guitar it is after putting a set of DiMarzio Evo's on it. I'm telling you OP, I said it once and I'll say it again. Carvin is the answer.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9