Looking for a new guitar. Comfort of playing is one of my biggest priorities for it. (I currently have an RGX121Z that is literally the worst thing known to man, I've never played anything more uncomfortable)

I've found a 2005 Fender Showmaster that's caught my eye, similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMYVM0NTPbg but I'm not sure it would be as comfortable to play as say, a strat or an RG series guitar, which are my two other main choices now.

Also looked at an explorer style design but I'm not sure how my brain would cope with the lack of... anything above the strings. My arm sort of rests against the body when playing.

Probably the most comfortable I've played is a strat-style guitar, by far, but I've not had a chance with the showmaster or any RG series guitars.

Any ideas/input would be appreciated.
Comfort is entirely subjective, unfortunately. However, if you can express what particular elements of guitar designs you've handled that you found comfy or uncomfortable, we might be able to help.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Light and contoured. Even my Prestige is not contoured comfy, should be rounder edges. Parkers feel nice
I find PRS are really comfortable because of their weight, but once played a rosewood neck Telecaster on which my fingers just flew across the fretboard.

Furthermore I can recall some good experiences with Hagström but I though their guitars tone lacked in terms of 'character'.
My new Epi es339 fits me like a glove. I get along with most teles too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think Strats are pretty much OK. The new american ones have a satin finish on the neck and a contour hill (at least the american deluxe ones do)... and the feel great. I have a Music Man JP6 that is very nice to play too
Big fan of Reverend, Electra, Fernandes, Godin, G&L and Dean...all for different reasons.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Parker Fly. Ergonomic, plays almost effortlessly, and very, very light!

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Parker Fly. Ergonomic, plays almost effortlessly, and very, very light!

I've never been a big fan of Parker but damn thats a sweet lookin' guitar!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I've never been a big fan of Parker but damn thats a sweet lookin' guitar!

Spend some quality time playing one and I suspect that you will become a fan. The downside is that the really good ones are very expensive.

And yes, that is a particularly sweet-looking Parker!
Quote by FatalGear41
Spend some quality time playing one and I suspect that you will become a fan. The downside is that the really good ones are very expensive.

And yes, that is a particularly sweet-looking Parker!

100% agreed!

Parkers are sweet guitars and all, but that upper horn on the shape you posted digs in my chest all the time when I play sitting.
Based on comfort alone, I'd recommend the Vox 55 series (there's a 33 and 77 as well which I think are similar, but haven't played them).

They way they are shaped is specifically designed for comfort whilst either sitting or standing, and they're pretty nice sounding guitars. Very versatile as well due to the pickup design where you can switch between humbucker, P90 and single coil settings.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Deledhel
Parkers are sweet guitars and all, but that upper horn on the shape you posted digs in my chest all the time when I play sitting.

You might find the MaxxFly models more to your liking.

http://www.parkerguitars.com/MaxxFly-Models/

I have a 2013 American Deluxe Stratocaster, and it's probably the most comfortable Strat I've played. Besides having a Strat's typical body contours, it feels relatively lightweight, and the neck feels great to me with the compound radius and modern C shape that isn't too thick. The finish on the neck also feels nice and smooth and lets my hand glide very easily. The American Deluxe Strat also has a contoured heel where the neck joins the body that lets your hand get to the upper frets more easily, so if you play the upper frets a lot, that can be nice.
Last edited by CalicoSkies at Jun 21, 2014,
Strat. Only guitar I've ever had that is smooth and not awkward laying down, on the bed, on the couch, anywhere. Plugged in or not.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 21, 2014,
My Gibson Flying V is really, really comfortable. Once you get used to the flying V shape of course. The guitar is so light in weight and playability is such that the guitar pretty much plays itself. It's as though the guitar has a built in autopilot.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 21, 2014,
Quote by KingChris90
Gibson Les Paul.

That's my go to guitar. But my god it is ****ing awful unless you are standing up. Plug it in and you gotta worry about the jack getting bumped.
Quote by cheesefries
That's my go to guitar. But my god it is ****ing awful unless you are standing up. Plug it in and you gotta worry about the jack getting bumped.

I really like the way my LP sits in my lap.
The worst guitar to play when sitting down is a SG. Its so neck heavy it actually wants to hit the floor.
Quote by FatalGear41
Exactly what I was thinking!

Those Parkers look like bottle openers, lol

Strat all the way.
Imo, anything with a strat/super-strat body is the most comfortable. Parkers are pretty comfortable but they are almost too thin for me.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by DrRus
Those Parkers look like bottle openers, lol

How about a can opener to go with the bottle openers?

This was actually a pretty comfortable guitar to pay either sitting down or standing up, but for sheer comfort and effortless playing, it is tough to beat a high-end Parker.
Quote by Shred-Hed
sand the edges if they hurt you?

Or buy a guitar that fits in the first place.
Quote by KingChris90
Gibson Les Paul.

Not a well-though-out guitar for comfort, whatever its other qualities might be. It really needs both a tummy (rib) cut and a forearm contour. It needs the contoured neck heel of the Axcess, and it would work better as a lighter, thinner guitar (I've also got both the L5S and the L6S which are better in this regard). The Gibson LP Axcess checks SOME of the comfort boxes; it's thinner, lighter, has a tummy cut and a good neck heel. But I've found that the L5S and L6S were even more comfortable because the body was wider (go figure).

Honestly, the most comfortable guitar I've ever played is a Single 15 from Jim Soloway.

It has a wider body than an LP (15" wide at the lower bout) -- I don't think it can be beat if you're seated. It's carved out on the inside, so that it seems a bit like a semi-hollow, so it's lighter than an LP, though not neck heavy at all. But the top is "bent" (actually carved) to provide a deep forearm contour, and there's a really deep tummy cut, so that the guitar almost seems to wrap around your torso. The version that I used had a 1 13/16ths" wide nut, and the extra 1/8th" was maintained all the way down to the bridge. Jim originally called it a "Fingerstyle" neck, but the extra width made playing a 25.5" scale with 11s *comfortable*, and bending became a lot easier. Frets were jumbo, fretboard was about 16" radius. Soloway is a jazz player and actually prefers a 27" scale tuned standard for its extra real estate for complicated chording and for the piano-like bottom end it provides. I'm a crappy jazz player, but I found that the 25.5" version with 11s became very easy to play (once my fingertips got used to the abuse), even when compared to the LPs with 9's or 10's.
I like the strat shapes best for comfy ...... but whats equally important is that it has to have good balance ..... I hate neck heavy guitars if I have to play them very long , that's the worse for me , I can usually deal with the rest
The most comfortable guitar I have ever played is EBMM Albert Lee, it is small and light, looks kind of weird but that forearm contour was certainly designed by a genius
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12