Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Preamp that has a USB interface so I can connect it to my computer. It needs to have at least 2 XLR inputs.

Budget: under $100 used.

Thanks.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I am absolutely satisfied with my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. Never heard a complaint from any other Focusrite users either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ well you're abut to hear one
for the money, they don't sound much good.

For the same money you could get an onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture which would sound noticeably better.

But, yeah, go to the recording section and read the interfaces sticky and the amp sims sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ I have one of them.
Don't get one of them, they sound bad.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Offworld92
I am absolutely satisfied with my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. Never heard a complaint from any other Focusrite users either.

The only thing I don't like about focusrite is the amout of BS you gotta go through to get the driver software installed...it'd just be easier if they gave it to you on a disc instead of having to register it, have an activation password emailed to you, and then download the driver from their website.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ well you're abut to hear one
for the money, they don't sound much good.

For the same money you could get an onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture which would sound noticeably better.

But, yeah, go to the recording section and read the interfaces sticky and the amp sims sticky.

Never heard of either of these. The Duo Capture EX looks good. Is it really notably better? How can an interface sound better?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2
^ I have one of them.
Don't get one of them, they sound bad.

Yea I researched some more. Bought mine a while ago and it has been good to me but I now know there are way better options. I want something with 24-bit 96khz capability.
^ that is said to have too much pre gain and people say they find it hard to track guitar without incurring in clipping.
If that's not a problem, that too looks like a pretty nice interface for the price.
Quote by Offworld92
Never heard of either of these. The Duo Capture EX looks good. Is it really notably better?
Can't really say for sure, I have only read (good) reviews about the thing.
The mackie I tried myself, and damn it sounds better.
Clearer, punchier, deeper...
Quote by Offworld92
How can an interface sound better?
It can have better pre's and better converters.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 25, 2014,
My guitar amp has a straight XLR out and I'm getting a dynamic mic so I don't need phantom power. I found this mixer with a usb interface: Behringer Xenyx Q502USB Mixer. Would this be a good guitar-to-computer/ dynamic-mic-to-computer interface? Does anyone have any experience with this product? My friend has the version of this product that doesn't have a usb interface and it sounds fine.

Behringer also makes some computer interfaces that looks promising. Anyone have experience with the Behringer firepower fca610 or the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204?

Do any of the products above compare with the Mackie Onyx Blackjack or the Focusrite Saffire 6?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 25, 2014,
^ lemme break down my personal list, in order from the better to the worst sounding among all the products mentioned in this thread.
-Onyx blackjack/Roland duo capture
-Saffire 6
-Audiobox 22VSL
-M audio fast track range (can't say for the ones labeled AVID)
-Below average sounding stuff
-Every behringer piece of gear made to process or amplify sound, minus the AD8000 and AD8200

Your budget isn't high enough to get a mic + an interface worth buying.
I'd rather get an unbranded guitar link, record direct and use amp sims.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 25, 2014,
The mic is in a separate budget from the interface.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 25, 2014,
Send a PM to MAtrixClaw asking hi what was that copy of the SM57 that was so cheap and good sounding and that he liked better than the 57, get one or two of them and use the money you saved to get a used onyx blackjack.
If the SM57 is the kinda mic you wanna go for.

It'd help to know the overall budget, what stuff you already have and what you want to do with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ that is said to have too much pre gain and people say they find it hard to track guitar without incurring in clipping.
If that's not a problem, that too looks like a pretty nice interface for the price.
Can't really say for sure, I have only read (good) reviews about the thing.
The mackie I tried myself, and damn it sounds better.
Clearer, punchier, deeper...
It can have better pre's and better converters.

Shouldn't a good interface be colorless? I don't like the whole idea of choosing interfaces based on how they sound. They shouldn't sound like anything.

Grumble grumble

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Shouldn't a good interface be colorless? I don't like the whole idea of choosing interfaces based on how they sound. They shouldn't sound like anything.

Grumble grumble
I agree. What I'm concerned with is hiss or any distortion. Although some of the better interfaces have compressors, which would make your sound less punchy.
^ it really boils down to how you use your compressor.
It is also generally considered a bad idea to record compressed sound, 'cause compression is one of the things you may want/need to change most while mixing.
Quote by Offworld92
Not necessarily.
A good converter should be transparent, and not all are.

The most renown pre in history is far from being transparent, and lemme tell you it doesn't sound half bad.
There are a lot of acclaimed transparent pre's, but transparency is not a requirement for something to sound good.

Pre's in audio interfaces usually aren't much coloring nor really high quality for the most part, and imo you should choose an audio interface based on how they sound, because they're made to process your sound and if you don't like their sound you will not like the result.

You want good result, so you want an interface you like the sound of.

In this field, again imo, you should judge EVERYTHNG based on how it sounds, because that's the thing it will do - produce or process sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 26, 2014,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
My guitar amp has a straight XLR out and I'm getting a dynamic mic so I don't need phantom power. I found this mixer with a usb interface: Behringer Xenyx Q502USB Mixer. Would this be a good guitar-to-computer/ dynamic-mic-to-computer interface? Does anyone have any experience with this product? My friend has the version of this product that doesn't have a usb interface and it sounds fine.

Behringer also makes some computer interfaces that looks promising. Anyone have experience with the Behringer firepower fca610 or the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204?

Do any of the products above compare with the Mackie Onyx Blackjack or the Focusrite Saffire 6?

On the Behringer product - YMMV, but my opinion is NO NO NO! I bought a Xenyx mixer a couple of years ago and returned it the next day. The USB interface whines when you record/playback and the preamps are not very good. Mixers are for mixing, audio interfaces are for converting analog to digital.

Quote by Spambot_2
Send a PM to MAtrixClaw asking hi what was that copy of the SM57 that was so cheap and good sounding and that he liked better than the 57, get one or two of them and use the money you saved to get a used onyx blackjack.
If the SM57 is the kinda mic you wanna go for.

It'd help to know the overall budget, what stuff you already have and what you want to do with it.

Probably the GLS ES57, $30 on Amazon. Brighter/hotter than an SM57 and very good for live applications (miking an amp for example), not as good for recording drums.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by MikeBmusic
Mixers are for mixing, audio interfaces are for converting analog to digital.
I respectfully disagree.

Have you seen the mackie onyx 1604i or the A&H zed series?
Quote by MikeBmusic
Probably the GLS ES57, $30 on Amazon. Brighter/hotter than an SM57 and very good for live applications (miking an amp for example), not as good for recording drums.
Yeah, that might have just been it, but there are so many I'd just ask him to be sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
GLS ES57 is the mic, he also liked it because it is easy to get fakes when shopping for an sm57.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent