I just bought a Zoom H4n to record some fingerstyle stuff and have been playing around with it. I've gotta say that I"m really pleased with the sound I get when I plug my pickup (I'm using an L.R. Baggs M80) into the recorder, but the recording from the microphone could use some improvement.

I'm currently set in the 4 channel mode so that I'm recording a direct signal from my pickup and from the device's microphones.

I'm curious what kinds of modes and placement of the device relative to the soundhole other acoustic guitarists have found to yield optimal results.
Quote by Xyab
I'm currently set in the 4 channel mode so that I'm recording a direct signal from my pickup and from the device's microphones.
That mic is stereo and guitar p/ups are mono, so why do you need 4 channels?

Anyway, my go-to position is three or four fingers from the 12th fret, angled at 45° towards the soundhole.
Then you put a sample delay on the thing and you get results.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Play around with adding some subtly different reverb to both tracks and then panning them slightly to the left and right respectively. I have had really good results with this.

Mic placement, what Spambot said