They're all pretty different price-wise. Are they that different sound-wise? I play in a metal band and need something with LOTS of headroom and punch. I can get a velocity for 300 euros, the carvin for 750 and the mesa for 1200, all used, and would apreciate any input from people who have had experience with any of these. Even though everybody loves the shiny glass, I'm kind of wary of periodically having to spend money on tubes and maintenance. But of course, sound quality is the main thing here. What do you guys think? Planning to use it with a TECH 21 SansAmp PSA 1.1 (which I really, really dig)
The rocktron isn't something I would spend my money on.
The TS-100 is the best thing I could think of for this.
The 50/50 is greatly overpriced in europe and it doesn't do anything special.

If you need more power get a yamaha P2500S.
If you want the shiny tubes and arguably a better sound, get the carvin.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Mesa is better but not for half the price again. The Carvin is a pretty good thing. I'd go with that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the TS100. You can run either 6L6 or EL34s in it (it's a stereo 50W/50W amp, so you can actually run one channel with 6L6 and the other with EL34s if you want). The camp can also be run mono, both channels bridged. One thing that's maybe a bit different about the Carvin is that at the rated power, this power amp has very low THD. You could use it in an audiophile system (and some folks do) with no complaints.

In terms of clean headroom, however, you might want to check out the Carvin solid state power amps. I have a DCM1540L and an HD1500 (for that matter, I have a BX1500 bass amp that seems to have a power amp section similar to the HD1500). In each case, you're looking at 1500W (or so) of clean power at a lower price AND a lower weight than the TS100.

Here in SoCal, we pay about $300 for an HD1500 (and it weighs about 9 lbs), where the TS100 weighs in at around 25 lbs (a guess, but I'm too lazy to go check the specs) and runs around $600.
I've been told that the Carvin is designed to sound flat, and that put me off of them. IMO if you're going for flat you should get a good digital power amp, and not bother with the extra cost of tubes.

I've heard and seen good things about QSC, but not enough to really recommend for sure.

What do you have going on cab-wise?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's a Marshall 1960 loaded with 2 Celestion Vintage 30s and 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs. Yeah, I've heard that the TS100 is a tube power amp that sounds like a solid state, with a pretty flat response. But what scares me about solid state amps is it's lack of headroom. A tube power amp can be pushed into the limit and still sound very nice. I've tested my preamp through the FX Loop of a 60 watts Peavey (the 6505 112 tube combo) and a buddy's 100 watts solid state amp and while it sounded good at low volumes, it would clip into a very nasty distorted sound when pushed to band level volumes. With the Peavey it would remain clean and neat.
Right now I'm inclined for the Carvin, as the Sansamp PSA 1.1 supposedly sounds better with a flat response poweramp, and being a tube power amp, I won't be taking the risk of going to nasty clipping territory... But I've also heard that the Carvin is not that loud for a 100 watts tube power amp (someone even said that his Mesa 20/20 could get louder than the TS100, but I don't really know if I should believe that).
Thanks for the replies, guys.
With solid states you also have to remember that they output their max rated wattage only at their minimum impedance load. (Usually 4 ohms) Higher load drops wattage rapidly effectively killing the headroom. With 300w ss power amp running a load that matches its minimum impedance the volume and headroom will not be a problem.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Offworld92
I've been told that the Carvin is designed to sound flat, and that put me off of them. IMO if you're going for flat you should get a good digital power amp, and not bother with the extra cost of tubes.
Quote by Kivenkantaja
Yeah, I've heard that the TS100 is a tube power amp that sounds like a solid state, with a pretty flat response.
You guys should hear a good tube power amp along with a good solid state power amp along with a good digital power amp.

If they are done equally better, the tube one will likely sound a bit softer, the digital one will likely sound a bit sterile.
None of these things have anything to do with the frequency response.

Power amps' job would be to deliver a fairly flat sound, and afaik nobody tries to design a power amp with a non flat frequency response.
Power amps in guitar amps don't do that.

If you turn them up, the tube one will likely sound a tad warmer, while the other two will probably remain the same.
Again, nothing having to do with the frequency response.

At this point, if I were you I'd actually try a good tube power amp along with a good solid state power amp, both with your rig, and then decide if the price difference's worth the tube one.
You'll likely find it's not considering what you wanna do with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Kivenkantaja
They're all pretty different price-wise. Are they that different sound-wise? I play in a metal band and need something with LOTS of headroom and punch. I can get a velocity for 300 euros, the carvin for 750 and the mesa for 1200, all used, and would apreciate any input from people who have had experience with any of these. Even though everybody loves the shiny glass, I'm kind of wary of periodically having to spend money on tubes and maintenance. But of course, sound quality is the main thing here. What do you guys think? Planning to use it with a TECH 21 SansAmp PSA 1.1 (which I really, really dig)

Your prices are nonsense. I've used a Mesa fifty/fifty and I got it for 500 used. Worked like a dream as well.

This one:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/mesa-boogie-fifty-fifty-287645.jpg

If you can´t find that one, this one will also work and sound fine:

Peavey60/60
http://forums.ernieball.com/attachments/music-man-guitars/1866d1131584861-lets-talk-power-amps-speakers-peavey-60.jpg

Fyi, I've used both to power an ENGL e530 and I played in a deathmetal band.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jun 22, 2014,