So are there any advantages or disadvanteges to doing this?

Correct me if I am wrong... But wouldn't it handle the power better without getting distorted. But would also handle the higher watts without getting overly distorted???

Can anyone give me any input on this and if it is a good or bad idea??
There is nothing wrong with using a set-up like that. I use a 100 watt head into a 480 watt guitar cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Smigzy
So are there any advantages or disadvanteges to doing this?

Correct me if I am wrong... But wouldn't it handle the power better without getting distorted. But would also handle the higher watts without getting overly distorted???

Can anyone give me any input on this and if it is a good or bad idea??

Generally it makes no difference -- it's not going to "handle the power better" and it's unlikely to get distorted unless you're overpowering the speaker by a lot. It's possible to create speaker distortion, of course, but generally that's the province of a seriously overdriven speaker (a 25W speaker in a 100W amp, for example).

Also worth noting that speaker wattage ratings are often a bit mythical and can be dependent on the frequency and the cabinet design. Essentially, the wattage rating of a speaker is an estimate of its ability to dissipate heat (most amplifier energy is actually lost in producing heat). Too much amp power over too long a period of time and the voice coils will melt and distort, sometimes even catching paper speaker cones on fire.
^ +1

some of the companies are a bit optimistic. if it's an eminence i'm not sure how safe a 75W speaker in a 50 watt amp is, that's sort of touch and go. whereas with celestion normally the rated power is safe in an amp of that same rating.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?