Hello everyone,

I recently decided to take up learning guitar again at age 32. I took some classes in Junior High but was to distracted by other things and a lack of concentration....

I am still recently new to learning but one fortunate thing is that apparently at some point I developed what my wife calls an obsessive disorder and I don't quit something until I have figured it out. That being said I am starting out with a Yamaha Pacifica which I must admit I am very please with. I have however acquired a couple more guitars along the way on impulse purchases and was curious of others opinions.

The first was an Ebay win... I am still waiting on it to arrive but felt that I got a great deal and hope I am right. I won a Giannini GSH 351. Its a semi hollow body with P90 pickups. I hope to delve in to the blues type music and southern rock more as I go, that type of music is what I tend to list to.

The other.... and this is where I may have gone off course a little, was a Jackson JS40 base and a Fender 100 watt bass amp. The bass was in beautiful condition and cheap. My brilliant line of thought was "once I learn guitar I can move on to the base as the fundamentals should be similar....." Again, I may be way off...

After my impulse purchases I decided to get on line and look up some information on the guitars. Much to my surprise I found very little. Can anyone tell me anything about these?

Thanks guys, hopefully with a little time and experienced gained I can actually speak with a little knowledge with some of you folks regarding these types of things.

Travis
Hiya Travis and welcome!

The Pacifica from all accounts is an excellent guitar to learn on. In fact, had I not found the deal I did I was leaning in that direction (and may still get one before all is said and done!)

Sounds like a nice find on the semi-hollow. Can't say I'm familiar with that manufacturer, but P90 pups are supposed to be good. Also gotta say you have great taste in music; i'm more of a blues, R&B, jazz guy myself. And I'm old enough to remember summers jamming to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, etc.

Also not real familiar with Jacksons, but speaking more generally learning bass isn't a bad thing. Not only will it help you strengthen your fingers, but you'll be able to take advantage of learning chord patterns on the guitar to find the root. This helps if you are playing bass with someone else who's playing guitar, as you'll be able to visually see what chord they're playing, and then play the root on bass. So cross-training is definitely a plus if you're so inclined.

Looking forward to seeing you around! Again, welcome!
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a guitar wiz, so I cant comment really on your purchases but I will tell you that I have a Gibson Les Paul with p-90s and they are really great pickups, especially if you like blues, and southern rock, for single coils they can get pretty hot sounding. I think you'll dig em.

Its never too late to learn something new.
Hope to see ya around the forums!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I will be bouncing in and picking brains... I have a lot of down time at work and end up sitting in the middle of the desert around here waiting for a call to go deal with something. I picked up a Fender DG8S acoustic and have started to carry it with me. With some trusty YouTube videos on my phone I will be out here picking away at night. Probably better that I practice out here where I have some peace and quiet...
Nice little guitar, Travis. Appears to have a solid top, which is always a bonus. How's the action on it? That was a problem I was running into; many acoustics have their action set way too high for me.

There are definitely worse circumstances to find oneself in: just you and your trusty guitar in the middle of the desert, under the stars, maybe a cold beverage at your side, just jamming away. Yep, not too shabby at all.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Unfortunately the only cold beverage I can have while at work is something like sweet tea which tends to accompany me more often than not. I like the action just fine although my lack of experience gives me little to compare with. At some point I would like to go to an acoustic electric but no rush on that. I would like to upgrade my amp once I get a little better. That and I'm running out of room to hide the guitars I keep buying from the wife...
You can probably hide them behind all the shoes and handbags she's hiding from you. LOL

Nothing wrong with sweet tea at all. I don't make it often enough, and I really like it.

At some point I'll have to invest in a decent acoustic. I have two here, but they're super cheap knockoffs and the action is way jacked up on them both. To have them properly set up (if they even could be) would probably cost more than the instruments are worth. Being an ol' fart with arthritic hands, trying to play something with a high action just gets my fingers all cramped up, and I eventually just stop playing.

The electric I just got is a joy; the action and intonation were almost perfect right out of the box. Sure my fingers still hurt, but that's because I'm building the calluses back up, not because I'm fighting the strings to play every chord.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Well, I just did it again....

I was screwing around on EBay... Then I saw this little cheap guitar...

Main Street brand with a Rebel Flag theme. I thought to myself... Self that would be a cool guitar to play some Skynard on. So thinking that someone would bid it up past the $25 dollar opening bid I bid the minimum. I figured there was plenty of time and someone would outbid me and I wouldn't have to worry... That being said I now have a rebel flag guitar because no one thought it was cool as I did.... My wife is going to flip and I think it may be a hard one to hide... Kind of stands out...
Heheh! Awesome get, Travis! Pics when you get it!

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Bad news in the wait for the Giannini...

Seems that FedEx may have lost the guitar in transit.

That being said, the gentleman that I purchased it from seems to be doing his best to make it right. Dennis with MusicLandCentral is who I have been dealing with. I am aware that I won the guitar well below retail and cant complain about that at all. He told me that he did not have another of the same model that I had purchased but offered me on in Blueburst. While not my favorite color combination I can deal with it. Just wish that I had been able to get what I really wanted.

I will post a picture when it arrives. I hope I open the box and fall in love with the blue....
Bummer dude. Hopefully FedEx also makes it right: if it was lost while it was in their custody, they owe it to you and the seller to bear the burden of reasonable replacement. Maybe they'll "find" it before long and get it to you.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
The seller made it right with me and is shipping out the Blueburst model. I'm sure it was insured. FedEx seems to misplace a lot of stuff in my opinion....