Page 1 of 2
like when you're looking for a job, do you like just go into random places and be like "Hey, I was wondering if you might be hiring" like is that a thing wot do
¯\_()_/¯
Find a sign that says "Will Work for Food", go to a random intersection, get job.
Depends on the type of job. Iirc, you're a younger guy, Canti, so you'd be looking for something where you don't need a college diploma. Maybe just a summer job.

So, yes...go into restaurants, hardware stores, Sears, Penny's, etc. Of course, make up a resume beforehand. But still.
That's how I got my first job, ended up being there ~2yrs and becoming asst. manager

Dont ask and you dont get.

Or whatever the saying is
that's a thing. also they have whole buildings dedicated to finding you a job if you really want one. and they're pretty good at it too in my experiences.
that's a thing.

Most places now don't even have paper applications on hand though. They just say go online and apply there. Some big companies will have a computer set aside just for the purpose.
Quote by CaptainCanti
like when you're looking for a job, do you like just go into random places and be like "Hey, I was wondering if you might be hiring" like is that a thing wot do

Yeah basically, go in there and ask if there are any jobs going. If they say yes then ask for an application form.

Unskilled, low paid jobs can be boring and tedious but it's better than sitting on the couch being bored and earning nothing.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by BobDetroit
Like do you like have anything like in mind that you might like to do?

gas station, stracks, ect
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti

A petrol station may ask you to work nights, which depending on your age and location may noy be allowed.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Yeah man. Find a damn job. You walk in and you ask "are you hiring" and they say "no we're not, we'll never hire anyone and we will deliberately run this company into the ground to spite your interest in our company."
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Yes it's a thing, get some resumes and go around doing that.

I don't know if it's harder or easier in a large city than it is in the ocean or whatever.
Quote by sam b
That's how I got my first job, ended up being there ~2yrs and becoming asst. manager

Dont ask and you dont get.

Or whatever the saying is

A closed mouth never gets fed?
The squeaky wheel gets the grease?
The worst they can say is no?

To answer the question, yes it is a thing, but as has been said previously, many will tell you to apply online nowadays.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Without any job experience you would be best to look in classified ads for a part time job.
For me the hardest part was building the confidence to actually go out and send resumes.
There's a lot of services online that provide resume templates and cover letters for various levels of qualification.
Once you actually have a job, all you have to do is show them that you have a good work ethic and prove your worth.
If you really want to impress but have no experience you can always volunteer.
That looks better on a resume than actual work experience, especially if you're young.
It's all about making good impressions to the right people.
Last edited by BurgundyGrandAm at Jun 21, 2014,
Yes, you can just 'walk in' and ask if they're hiring (or even just ask if you can have an application, either is fine. They'll either hand you one, tell you 'no!' or tell you to apply online.)

But first thing first. Don't go in asking for a job or asking for an app looking like scum. Clean up. Dress properly (no ragged jeans/dirty shoes, hair skunked up, snot draining from open sores.) Wash/comb your hair. Do NOT stink. Keep a pleasant look on your face in there, look upbeat and expectant (no scowling, frowning, looking beat down, in a stupor or just dumb.) If the person you're asking an app from is a nice looking chic...don't try to pick her up or score 'cool' points with her. (you won't get them or the job.)

Ask if you should fill the app out there, or can bring it back. Do as advised.

Try... to SEE or actually (face to face) talk to the owner/manager. Be honest and earnest...in needing a job/wanting to work. Even if they only hire by computer application/online seeing/speaking with the manager is a good idea...and can get your foot in the door there---he 'may' remember your name if given a list of apps from the company's HR person. It certainly won't hurt (unless you blow it by doing something dim and he remembers 'that' too.)

As others mentioned... be persistent. Check back if/after you've applied. Most managers will see this as a sign that you 'want' to work.

Keep at it. Don't put in only one app somewhere and go home. Put in A HUNDRED applications ALL OVER THE PLACE. You'll get a nibble somewhere...but only if you keep trying.

Good luck!
What do you do well? Work with your hands, speak well, write well, good at math?
Where do your friends, big brothers, friends big brothers work? Do they like it? Do they need more people? Can you teach swimming? Lifeguard/swim instructor was a really good summer job.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I've just been going in and asking for applications lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by cheesefries
that's a thing.

Most places now don't even have paper applications on hand though. They just say go online and apply there. Some big companies will have a computer set aside just for the purpose.

This. My bro recently went job hunting after coming back from college and scoured the mall only to come back with 3 physical applications. The other 10 or so stores told him to apply online.

With that being said, I've recently done some applications on this site:
http://www.snagajob.com/

Sent in my application to a department store on Thursday night, got called Friday to schedule an interview for Monday morning. Time to start bringing home the bacon
Quote by angusfan16
Man dont work at a gas station, you'll regret it so hard

I have no car, and the Family Express is the only place less than a mile away
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by Beowolff
^^^ Truth!

The absolute worst part is the "questionnaire".

1. How much have you stole from your previous employers?

a) Less than $100
b) I never worked so I never got a chance to steal
c) I steal shit all the time
d) I always stole office supplies thats ok rite?
e) A lot more than my coworkers.

Sometimes it takes 30 minutes to finish those damn stupid ass questions.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 22, 2014,
Quote by Skullivan

With that being said, I've recently done some applications on this site:
http://www.snagajob.com/

Thank you for that link. I've been checking Careerbuilder, the newspapers, and Craigslist daily for over two months trying to find a better job. There might be a new job posted every 2 weeks.

I typed in my zip code in that link you referred and holy hell... a ton of jobs in my town I was not aware of. Thanks Skullivan. You da man.
Quote by cheesefries
The absolute worst part is the "questionnaire".

1. How much have you stole from your previous employers?

a) Less than $100
b) I never worked so I never got a chance to steal
c) I steal shit all the time
d) I always stole office supplies thats ok rite?
e) A lot more than my coworkers.

Sometimes it takes 30 minutes to finish those damn stupid ass questions.

They ask the dumbest questions for those questionnaires. I swear to god they just want you to waste your time.
Go to random websites, see if they have an online application, and have a resume on hand on your computer; it's what I've done. Aside from that I'll wake up early, dress nice, and go from store to store at random and ask for an application, sometimes I'll leave a resume with them. I always like to think the more you fill out, be it on paper or online, the better of a chance you'll have. So yeah it's a thing.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by Beowolff

But first thing first. Don't go in asking for a job or asking for an app looking like scum. Clean up. Dress properly (no ragged jeans/dirty shoes, hair skunked up, snot draining from open sores.) Wash/comb your hair. Do NOT stink. Keep a pleasant look on your face in there, look upbeat and expectant (no scowling, frowning, looking beat down, in a stupor or just dumb.) If the person you're asking an app from is a nice looking chic...don't try to pick her up or score 'cool' points with her. (you won't get them or the job.)

This is really important regardless of the type of place you're applying to. You have to present yourself well to EVERYONE who is there because even if you don't remember them when you go in to ask, they'll probably remember you.
cat
Quote by CaptainCanti

You won't be eligible for a job at a gas station because you're not old enough for alcohol sales.

Apply at restaurants. Start as a dishwasher so you can get acquainted with the inner workings of a *******. Plus, there are almost always openings at restaurants.
Stand for election with sensible policies.

Or, you know, get into a safe seat and wear the right colour ribbon.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by CaptainCanti
I have no car, and the Family Express is the only place less than a mile away

So you have 1 single option?
Seems like it'd be tough handing out a solid resumé when he doesn't have any work experience. That's why, I think, Canti should just stick to filling out applications.
Quote by cheesefries
Thank you for that link. I've been checking Careerbuilder, the newspapers, and Craigslist daily for over two months trying to find a better job. There might be a new job posted every 2 weeks.

I typed in my zip code in that link you referred and holy hell... a ton of jobs in my town I was not aware of. Thanks Skullivan. You da man.

It was really weird for me at first, because a friend told me that the department store was hiring, but when I went to the company's website the job wasn't listed, so I went to the actual store's webpage, no luck there either. I finally googled the store name and my city and boom, it pops up on that website.
Page 1 of 2