NEW FIZZY BOX DAY!

So you might not be able to tell, but above is a Crate GX130C, a clone of the popular death metal machine, the Ampeg VH140C (both have been heard on some very important death metal albums). Found a guy on craigslist selling it the 212 combo for $75, talked him down to 60. The cabinet was beat to hell and back, time had not been kind to the MDF. Lots of swelling and chunks missing, but the amp itself is solid with not odd noises or anything, reverb and chorus both still work.

I decided that since the speakers were AWFUL (more on that) and the cabinet was trashed, I'd make it into a head. Picked up a piece of 3/4 in. plywood and some truckbed liner from Home Depot and my old man slapped and I it together on father's day. Overall I'm very satisfied with how it turned out, the only flaw is that we drilled the holes for the chassis screws too far over on one side so they are visible instead of hidden under the corner like on the other side.

On to the sound. As I said, the stock speakers were complete garbage. I actually was really disappointed with the amp and couldn't believe that it was the stuff of death metal legend, it sounded so bad that I kind of regretted spending the $60. I figured I should give it a chance through a proper cab, so I put it through my Marshall (Eminence Screamin' Eagles and Splawn Small Blocks). Completely different amp, the distortion channel RIPS, some of the thickest and most musical sounding distortion I've heard from a solid-state, and definitely nails the old-school death tones. For this channel alone I can say this is the best $60 I have spent on gear, hands down.

What really surprised me was the clean channel. While it's no JC120, the cleans really sparkle and have a deep (dare I say, "bell" like) sound that is great with both my Strat and SG. I can get some very usable sounds for blues and country, and it certainly will handle any clean passages that pop up in metal. The chorus and reverb definitely add to this channel, even though I wouldn't consider either one to be anything special. I am not huge on spring reverb, but as far as they go this one is perfectly acceptable, ditto with the chorus.

While I won't be trading off my RM100 any time soon, the Crate really impressed me, and I wouldn't have a problem using it as a backup. Definitely not a holy grail of tone, but of all the cheapo metal amps I have played, this one takes the win. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a gigging amp for a broke-as-hell budget.

Thanks for looking!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
HNAD. Yeah, not a bad backup amp to have kicking around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well that's pretty much what I have it for, and I just couldn't pass it up for the price. Beats the hell out of a Valvestate or a solid state Randall, that's for sure

Thanks dude
A jab in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a Valvestate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What's an MG then, a dull stick so it takes longer
A burning pointy stick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
HNFBD! Lookin' sleek and classy!

I didn't know those are clones of the Ampeg. A few years ago I had a bandmate that used one of those (crate gx) and it sounded killer as a dirty overdrive lead tone for what we were doing. I was so impressed that bought a year ago I bought a smaller 2x10 ($40) but all I got out of it was garbage til it crapped out on me bout a month after I bought it. I've heard them sound pretty good though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Sick deal. I've been wanting to pick one of these up for years to see if it was as good as the VH140C I had.

HNAD!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
First time I heard the Crate I was disappointed - but it was the speakers, not the amp that let it down.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys! Yeah the Crate (SLM, I think?) speakers blow so hard. It was a night and day deal.
dude! nice. my second amp (which replaced my ss marshall amp) was a G40C combo.

was a killer amp at the time.

Quote by dementiacaptain
important death metal albums

this just made me laugh.
You know what I mean

it is a bit silly to think about in the grand scheme of things though
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave

I think it'll even do Ratt!

yay \m/
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn I want that kinda deals here in Italy, I've always wanted to try a VH140 or a copy.

Happy NAD!

Also...
Quote by dementiacaptain
What's an MG then, a dull stick so it takes longer
I've found the worst parts of MGs to be the speakers.
I gotta lend one and try it with my cab, I reckon I may eve like the crunch...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 22, 2014,
The MGs get a bit better with good speakers, but there's only so much febreeze you can spray on a turd....
^ well it'd still be a turd but it'd smell good at least, I guess that's a fairly nice result
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've heard plenty of MG's through a good cab. They're still shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The one way I found to get a semi acceptable tone with an MG is to jack the master volume, jack the channel volume, cut the treble to below 9 o'clock, bass and mids up, and use the gain knob as volume. I have found that doing this allows you to get some decent garage tones, but you have to be careful or you get into nasty clipping.

They make excellent decorative pieces despite the sound though.
The best way to get an acceptable sound out of an MG is by throwing it into an empty dumpster. They make a satisfying breaking sound and if the dumpster is in an alleyway, decent reverb too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And some good feedback if you drop it on a pedestrian!