Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying the line 6 hd500 to use with my peavey 6505, what I want is for me to be able to use the hd500 to switch channels on the amp but for cleans I want to use the clean models in the pedal and the peaveys power amp then have the peavey distortion with the odd effect

Is this possible? If not are there any multi effects that I can do this with

Thanks
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Look into the 4 cable method. I have the POD HD500x and I can confirm it works for what you want, though it IS a bit of a hassle to set up level-wise.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
It has no amp switching relay outputs so no, it can't switch your 6505. The Boss GT-100 will.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out the MIDI capabilities of the HD500. You should be able to find an adapter that will handle that for you with no issues. Somewhere in my bins I have one that I used to use called the Amp Gizmo (https://www.rjmmusic.com/ampgizmo.php), but I believe they also have a simpler unit called the switch gizmo. The HD500 can store MIDI information in its user presets; have the folks at RJM talk to you about specific amps and setups. I'm willing to bet they can fix you up.
Yeah, you could do it with a gizmo. It's added expense though. I suppose it all depends on how important the modeling side of things is to you. If you really want the HD500 amp models and Roland COSM ones won't cut it for you then that's the way to go. If you don't give two shits about that, just get the GT-100. It will do it right outa da box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It has no amp switching relay outputs so no, it can't switch your 6505. The Boss GT-100 will.

while it does work it is a little funky. The Boss GT10 is wire funny. I had to build a special cable for offworld. I think the 6505 needs a TRS and the GT needs a mono end. It was under $10 to wire up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jun 23, 2014,
So using just a mono cable switched the FX loop, not the channel?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So using just a mono cable switched the FX loop, not the channel?

Yup. Not sure why the GT10 didn't have a TRS switch and why you couldn't program it... how many amps use a mono cable/footswitch to change channels? A lot less than ones that use TRS.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Still, not a hard fix. Chop one end off a mono cable and solder a stereo plug to the end with just the ring and sleeve connected. It is a bit odd though, yeah.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AFAIK, you cannot actually change the channels on your amp using only the POD. For example, you cannot go from rhythm to lead without using the amp's footswitch. But you can however change from a preset using the POD's clean amp model to a preset using your amps distortion (+/- whatever effects you want) using only the POD.

I use a similar setup with my RP1000 and 6505+.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000