Hi guys!

I am looking for a new guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo System, my Budget is about £1000. i mainly play metal but i do sometimes play other genres of music. i would prefer it if the guitar had passive pickups but active is not out of the question. I would rather have a HH configuration but again other configurations are not out of the question. I really don't mind what manufacturer it is.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Anything particular you like or don't like, in terms of cosmetics, body shapes etc.?

What's your current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im open to most body shapes. I own a jackson dinky and a fender showmaster and I play them through a Fender Frontman 212R combo
Ibanez S520. It's got a fantastic ibanez floyd-style trem (trust me, ibanez makes good trems, except the Edge III) really skinny neck. Put in dimarzios and it can give some sick metal tones. Also, extremely ergonomic. OR I would highly recommend a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd, which is honestly the better guitar but isnt as geared towards metal as the ibanez.
Maybe not what you want to hear, but you might be better putting the cash towards a new amp. For £1000, I'm sure you could get a better amp more suited to metal than the fender.
Quote by tom.jackson.92
Maybe not what you want to hear, but you might be better putting the cash towards a new amp. For £1000, I'm sure you could get a better amp more suited to metal than the fender.

Immaterial to this discussion.

Here's where location makes a difference. If he were interested in an LP-style guitar, I'd have pointed him at RondoMusic and have suggested he consider building a semi-custom AL-3200. You can cobble together a guitar with a Floyd, a wider (at the nut) neck, a tummy cut, a shaved neck heel, 24-frets, 14" radius, better upper fret access (that stubby horn helps, actually), a longer scale (25.5", 27"), six or seven string, etc.

The various Agile superstrats are good choices as well.

Here in SoCal, I'd have suggested trundling down to the Carvin factory near San Diego and having them build him a guitar.

Or I might have pointed him at GMW guitars, or I might have aimed him at WildWest guitars in Riverside, which has exactly what he wants in vast arrays. Maybe a used Suhr (also built within driving distance).

But given where he is and what's available there, the higher pricing of most guitars and his price limitations, he's square in the middle of mediocre manufacturer morass. There should be Schecters and ESPs and the like to choose from. All just fine.
Hey, I'm new here and this is my first post, but couldn't resist a reply to this. Just bought a schecter blackjack with a sustainiac pickup in it. Boy does that thing rock. Maybe worth a look?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What have you done to me, oneblackened..?!!?!?

You forced me to click on those links and now I'm thinking about buying an Electro-Harmonix Ravish Sitar pedal!!!!! Aaaaargh!!! lol
If i were you, i'd get one of the MIJ charvel pro mods (richtone in sheffield is getting a bunch in, they've been discontinued for a while but somehow they've found some more, £600) and a jet city jca50H head and harley benton g212vintage cabinet on thomann (~£400, depending on exchange rate and how badly your credit card screws you on the exchange). You'd need a speaker cable (£10) and UK kettle lead (dunno exactly how much but again probably £10 if not less). That way you get a really nice guitar and a really nice amp, and you're pretty much sorted.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/search-results.asp?query=Last%20Ever

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

A cheap od pedal (digitech bad monkey, boss sd1 or something like that) to use as a boost wouldn't hurt, either. Doesn't really need one, but it gives you more options.

EDIT: The floyds on those charvels aren't recessed, if that's a problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 22, 2014,
Quote by tom.jackson.92

Very true but I feel I would like a new guitar first because I feel like the jackson is a beginner guitar and (trying not to sound like an arse) I feel like I have outgrown it...
Thanks for the suggestion though
Really appreciate all the replies! Thanks guys, this helped my search alot what do people think of Carvins? Just saw one of the Jason Becker tribute models, its build to order so it might be a bit pricey but still. Is it worth more of a look?
Carvin are great guitars, as you said built to order so you can choose your price but most builds seem to come out around $1500-1700. Well worth the price if you can stretch your budget for one.
Quote by mhanbury2
Carvin are great guitars, as you said built to order so you can choose your price but most builds seem to come out around $1500-1700. Well worth the price if you can stretch your budget for one.

Yea, I am considering it. I really like the look of them. I would like to play one first though just to make sure I like them but I dont suppose thats possible?
If you look into Ibanez, there higher end bridges are just as good as a Floyd, look into a high end prestige or artist guitar, such as the JS line or Jem.
I've never tried one, but i get the feeling that carvins are great value inside the US, and not so great value anywhere else. The markups to get one to the UK are pretty steep I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mattsmithy
Yea, I am considering it. I really like the look of them. I would like to play one first though just to make sure I like them but I dont suppose thats possible?

Sure. Drop by the house.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've never tried one, but i get the feeling that carvins are great value inside the US, and not so great value anywhere else. The markups to get one to the UK are pretty steep I think.

That's my impression, too.

However, I have seen some stellar used Carvin deals on eBay...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah I suppose used might be an option.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you decide to look used, also check out Reverb.com.

I just did a search for "Carvin" there, and this is what popped up:
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=Carvin

The oddball occurrence of the Brian Moore guitar- another good brand, BTW- popping up in the search is because the seller purchased it to compare to Carvins...which he decided he preferred.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 23, 2014,
Danny - he's in the UK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
try a bc rich warbeast nj deluxe , cool design and good sound , alota people give bc rich hate but their higher end guitars are awesome
Quote by oneblackened
Danny - he's in the UK.

I know, and some of those Reverb sellers DO ship internationally. And by that, I also mean that not all of them are located in the USA.

I really can not find anything that jumps out at me, i think i need to lower my standards! i think i would like a Les Paul shape or the Eclipse shape with a Floyd! i know that LTD do an EC1000 with a Floyd but it has that horrible sticky finish on the neck that really puts me off
Last edited by mattsmithy at Jun 24, 2014,