Hello fellow guitarists

So i'm finally going to get myself a new amp soon and thank god for that. The amp that i have here at home currently is the most unimpressive 15 watt amp you could ever imagine. It's the kind that comes with starter kits. For gigs, i just borrow amps from whoever i could borrow them from. I've already played a variety of different amps as a result of this and have played on amps ranging from a marshall half stack to the fender deluxe reverb (which sounds reaaaaaly good )

I was originally set on getting the fender mustang III v2 but the same store is also selling a line 6 spider IV 150 for a bit cheaper than the mustang so i'm kind of in a dillema right now. From what i have been reading i found tht line 6 isn't exactly everyone's favorite amp but looking at the price alone is enough to get me thinking.

When i'm alone, I enjoy playing on the clean channel and maybe add a bit of distortion for blues tones and i understand that this is where the fender mustangs excel in. However in band situations, i find myself almost always on the distortion channel which is where some people say the mustang falls short and where the line 6 shines (?) One thing about the spider that draws me in is that it's a 2x12.

I have played a bit on the mustang and was very impressed. Haven't tried the higher gain sound on it though so I have no idea what that sounds like. I have yet to play any of the line 6 amps so I won't dismiss it just yet so.... opinions?, thoughts? anything?
do you live in the USA?
what is your budget?
Here is a Used Peavey JSX 2x12 combo for $350 at GC, so you have a 30 day return policy if you need it.
www.guitarcenter.com/-i3547130.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I live in the philippines. My budget in us dollars is $400 (although i can stretch it to just under 500 if needed). Unfortunately, everything here is a bit more expensive if compared to US prices. I looked up the peavey on youtbe and it sounds great however as I said earlier, I do not live in the US so I have shipping to deal with which i imagine would be expensive beacuse that amp looks big and heavy haha
I would recommend an Orange crush c60. It is seriously a monster amp for the price $500us
Quote by xmiguelflores
I live in the philippines. My budget in us dollars is $400 (although i can stretch it to just under 500 if needed). Unfortunately, everything here is a bit more expensive if compared to US prices. I looked up the peavey on youtbe and it sounds great however as I said earlier, I do not live in the US so I have shipping to deal with which i imagine would be expensive beacuse that amp looks big and heavy haha

Yeah it would cost a fortune to ship that amp, if they would ship out of country.

Do you have a craigslist or gumtree type site there?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The c60 isn't available here in my country (at least according to my local music store's website). If i were to order online from overseas, then the cost including shipping will easily go over $500. The closest one to the c60 available is the orange crush cr35 but I don't think that will do very well in a band situation. While looking ,i have stumbled on the peavey bandit 112 which costs a lot less than the mustang III and the spider IV150 (which is on sale for half it's original price). With the peavey bandit, i will be missing some of the bells and whistles (which i enjoy haha) but the demos on youtube say that it's an extremely versatile amp. I haven't played one yet so i don't know if it will sound as good or better than it does in the video. Is the bandit a step up from the mustang and the spider?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah it would cost a fortune to ship that amp, if they would ship out of country.

Do you have a craigslist or gumtree type site there?

If you mean websites where people sell their new or used things, then yes there is. The downside is thatit's actually pretty rare to find good musical equipment or equipment that doesn't look like it's been through world war x

this one for example: http://m.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/44328307/Peavey+Bandit+112+without+Amp+Head+Sale+or+Swap?referralKeywords=peavey

. I do however from time to time see a couple of fender amps that sell for a price lower than the original but still outside my budget haha
Last edited by xmiguelflores at Jun 22, 2014,
If you're playing in a band with a drummer, the spider and mustang will get intensely muddy and "can of bees" sounding. They're basically the opposite of a decent tube amp because the louder you turn them up, the worse they sound (I'll have to save that thought for the next tube vs ss thread, lol). So you may only be purchasing disappointment with either of those. Is Jet City available in your corner of the world?

Btw, that amp you linked is missing the amp, haha. A real beauty though!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 22, 2014,
Well I know people here hate the spiders, and it would not be my first choice. do you have a link to the web sites you can order from? might help us to know what amps are available to you in your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Short story long, I'd definitely hit the Spider.

Spiders don't get a lot of love here because the little ones have been everyone's starter amp over the years. The bigger ones are fine.

The Mustangs are Fender's effort to catch up to Line 6's dominance in this area, and they've produced a good beginner amp. Last time I looked, a couple of years ago, Line 6 was actually the largest amp manufacturer by market share -- something like 38% -- and a lot of it was done on the backs of well over a million Spiders sold. So even though this forum gets a bit snooty about them occasionally, they still have a lot to offer.
Keep in mind, a lotta people thought the spider sounded like ass long before ug came around. 38% of the market share or not. I read somewhere that Justin bieber has sold more albums than the Beatles, popularity means nothing.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think the Spider sounds like ass. I think the Mustang sounds pretty good. Ive tried all sizes of both, and started playing with neither
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^ I have to agree with dspellman on this, they are better than people give them credit for. I know for a fact they sound way better than the practice amps that were available even in the 90's, I would have killed for a spider.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fair enough Robb, and I don't disagree.

However, I'm still of the opinion that the Mustang is a better sounding amp than the Spider. That's all I'm trying to convey.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Fair enough Robb, and I don't disagree.

However, I'm still of the opinion that the Mustang is a better sounding amp than the Spider. That's all I'm trying to convey.

Actually that was directed at lucky1978 but I was slow at getting the post

I actually put the Vypyr and the spider in about the same category and I think they are the best sounding cheap modelers being made now. But with all the advancements that have been made in the last 10 years really all the cheap modelers are pretty decent. I remember when the very 1st spider came out in 2000ish, I bought the 1x12 combo and the floorboard. All of the old guys that I knew were absolutely blown away that many good sounds could come from a little amp that was so inexpensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Totally agree it's much better than what was around years ago. However, I still find it to be the worst sounding of the modelers. Or the least natural anyways.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I was just saying that the spider hate shouldn't necessarily be dismissed. Some people genuinely dislike them for legit reasons. I was a newb (still am relatively) in the '90s looking for an amp and I specifically remember trying the spider (it stuck out cause of all the bells and whistles) and thinking it sounded horrible, even compared to the other amps I was trying at the time. If spiders are decent thats pretty close to implying that ALL amps sound decent, there are no amps that sound bad.

(Btw, no disrespect meant, much love)
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 22, 2014,
I read somewhere else that a guy who owned the spider 150 was initially dissatisfied with the sound but after changing the speakers, changed his mind completely. Does changing the speaker really improve the sound that much?
If I were you, I'd make a list of all the amps available to me. Then bring that list here and see what gg&a says. You may be the only Philippine ug'er here. Its tough for us to tell whats available to you and what isn't. If you're mic'ed or there's no drums involved, a Spider may work out for you. But in most parts of the world, its pretty easy to do better than a spider. Happy hunting and goodluck though.
Checking for you, so far, I'd say the fender pro jr. The Princetons aren't bad either, I use to gig with a Princeton Chorus. Checking....

I noticed a Laney VC30 2x10 for 58,000 new. So, theoretically, you may be able to score a used one for around 30,000. That would be a good way to go if you can save a lil longer.

Are Zoom products available to you? Another route you can take is an amp modeling mfx and a powered speaker. It'll sound at least as good as the spider and both components will still be useful down the roadafter you get a spiffy amp.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 23, 2014,
Yes zoom products are available here. The best i can do when it come to the zoom is the g5 which costs almost the same as a mustang 3. There's also the g3 with the expression pedal. I have a PA here at home (the yamaha stage PAS 300). Will that be a realistic alternative to the mustangs and spiders?
Quote by xmiguelflores
Yes zoom products are available here. The best i can do when it come to the zoom is the g5 which costs almost the same as a mustang 3. There's also the g3 with the expression pedal. I have a PA here at home (the yamaha stage PAS 300). Will that be a realistic alternative to the mustangs and spiders?

you should be able to just plug the zoom right into the board and play it through your PA. by FAR best option IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by xmiguelflores

Hell ya! That'll work great for you since you already have a pa at home. You can make full use of your pa with a mic, guitar and a Zoom G3/5. The G3/5 has a looper, amp modeling, tons of fx, a metronome in the form of drum tracks, usb, etc. Since you already have a pa, that would definitely be the best way to do what you want, and a lot more, imo.
Quote by lucky1978
Hell ya! That'll work great for you since you already have a pa at home. You can make full use of your pa with a mic, guitar and a Zoom G3/5. The G3/5 has a looper, amp modeling, tons of fx, a metronome in the form of drum tracks, usb, etc. Since you already have a pa, that would definitely be the best way to do what you want, and a lot more, imo.

Just called my local music store and it turns out the zoom G5 is on sale . I have decided to go and get myself one of those and be done with it haha. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I will now proceed to have hours of fun now that I will finally have something decent at home haha
Quote by xmiguelflores
Just called my local music store and it turns out the zoom G5 is on sale . I have decided to go and get myself one of those and be done with it haha. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I will now proceed to have hours of fun now that I will finally have something decent at home haha

Make sure to go through the manual and set it up properly. Its very easy to use. I have the G3 and I love it. I actually prefer using it with either a pa or headphones too.