I have an Orange head unit and I play it on my friend's cab because I don't have one right now. I want to play at home where I'd need headphones to hear it. Can I play through the amp without it being plugged into a cabinet?
No. It really needs a load. If it's solid state, you may be able to get away with it without blowing the amp up, but it's definitely NOT recommended.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Not unless it actually has a headphone out. Playing an amp through headphones kinda sucks anyways. Imo, if you're gonna use headphones, the best thing to use is an amp modeling mfx.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Curtis321
I have an Orange head unit and I play it on my friend's cab because I don't have one right now. I want to play at home where I'd need headphones to hear it. Can I play through the amp without it being plugged into a cabinet?

Don't even think about plugging your headphones into a speaker output jack on the head. It'll be expensive. Your users' manual should be able to tell you if you've got a regular headhpone jack and if it will shut down the power amp section of your head.
Quote by lucky1978
Not unless it actually has a headphone out. Playing an amp through headphones kinda sucks anyways. Imo, if you're gonna use headphones, the best thing to use is an amp modeling mfx.

I know it doesn't sound great but I'd kinda have to with no cab. I figured I needed a cab for a load from the head. It's a tube amp by the way so I'm not gonna risk it
Quote by Curtis321
It's a tube amp by the way so I'm not gonna risk it

Ya, don't. Itd be very very expensive. Much more than just buying a cheaper cab
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75