Page 1 of 3
will you listen to blatantly misogynistic and/or homophobic rap or hip hop?

ps: flava flav is in everything you eat cause everything you eat's got flava

pps: no poll cause it ain't that simple
i don't know why i feel so dry
i almost never blatantly listen to rap or hip hop anyway though
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Eastwinn
will you listen to rap or hip hop?

no
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Yes. I don't listen to it often, but I don't stop listening to a song because I notice that the lyrics are brutal. I do think that the lyrics in a lot of top 40 are pretty fucked up, but it's catchy so whatevs.
Herp derp I can't make out whet they're saying because I don't speak Jive.

Yea, I'm so hip and up-to-date, I make references to Airplane.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by willT08
depends

on what?

personally i avoid sexist, homophobic shit. some of the best rap groups in history were legit in this respect. as my op might suggest, i was inspired to make this while listening to public enemy. i mean listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AYMiAdqhQ
Quote by Eastwinn
on what?

well if it's done with a sense of irony then it's whatever - when it comes to sexist stuff

I can't say I've ever come across anything that plays on homophobia, it's always just actual straight up hate
Quote by Eastwinn
on what?

personally i avoid sexist, homophobic shit. some of the best rap groups in history were legit in this respect.

So is it something to do with the person making the music or just the lyrical content that you don't like?
I do, but I feel bad about it, so it's okay.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Isn't most homophobia basically a hate-based mentality, anyways?

Edit- @Will
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Jun 22, 2014,
Quote by Dimarzio45
Isn't most homophobia basically a hate-based mentality, anyways?

yeah all of this stuff is it's just that i've never seen someone make homophobic stuff funny in music
Quote by willT08
yeah all of this stuff is it's just that i've never seen someone make homophobic stuff funny in music

Yeah. If you listen to early 90s hip hop with modern ears it's straight up "whoa."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
if i hear something i don't agree with i probably won't listen to it again
I listen to the women in rap because im not sexist

I could hold you down, like I'm givin' lessons in physics (right, right)
You should want a bad bitch like this (huh?)
Drop it low and pick it up just like this (yeah)
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by Eastwinn
will you listen to blatantly misogynistic and/or homophobic rap or hip hop?

No. But I wouldn't listen to blatantly misogynistic and/or homophobic music of any kind, regardless of genre.
Quote by severed-metal
So is it something to do with the person making the music or just the lyrical content that you don't like?

the lyrical content. i guess if an MC was homophobic but never mentioned i wouldn't think they're as cool as i might have before, but i'd still listen to the music. but if the music contains the homophobic or sexist shit it makes me extremely uncomfortable to listen to it.

i also agree with the folks that insist that MCs should cut the crap because it gives rap and hip hop a terrible image. MCs often want to tackle social issues but it really hits their credibility when they throw around hate like that.
I would not, but I should note that there's a lot of things I don't find misogynistic that others do.
Doesn't that rule out, like, almost all rap/hip-hop?

If I ever said I fucked your bitch

Just know

I mean it
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Doesn't that rule out, like, almost all rap/hip-hop?

but are you being serious stewie?
Yeah, I've not stopped listening to a song because of the lyrical content - like lolmnt, I feel a bit bad sometimes, but. is about the extent of a response I can summon to it.
Quote by willT08
but are you being serious stewie?

Somewhat. You can't deny it's ridiculously pervasive.
I also kinda liked that Blurred Lines song even though it's kinda blatantly about rape.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
depends how much I like the song. But I'm gonna say it wouldn't stop me since it hasn't in the past that I can remember
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by StewieSwan
Somewhat. You can't deny it's ridiculously pervasive.

if you're not in the business of looking for hip hop (i assume that's you), sexism is an almost certainty, and if it were the 90s then homophobia would be certain as well.

but if you're searching all around, it's not nearly as pervasive as it seems.

still an issue if you ask me though.
If it's a recurring theme for an artist, then it'll turn me off that artist. But if there's one misogynistic/homophobic line in a song, it'll make me cringe, but it probably won't make me stop listening to the whole song/album/artist.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I also kinda liked that Blurred Lines song even though it's kinda blatantly about rape.

That thing I said about my disagreements on what qualifies as misogynistic?

The claims about this song are ridiculous.
Quote by Eastwinn
if you're not in the business of looking for hip hop (i assume that's you), sexism is an almost certainty, and if it were the 90s then homophobia would be certain as well

The homophobia is definitely still there in non-mainstream songs.

but if you're searching all around, it's not nearly as pervasive as it seems.

It is tho

still an issue if you ask me though.

Ya
Quote by StewieSwan
The homophobia is definitely still there in non-mainstream songs.
Not as much as it used to be.

It is tho
Sure, but not always

Ya
ya
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Go on...
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

You may not think it's about rape, but as far as misogyny goes, "Blurred Lines" is basically a guide book for how to sound like a sexist asshole.
Page 1 of 3