Page 1 of 2
Another quick post, once again, starting out on guitar after a 5-6 year absence. I own a Peavey Patriot from 1981, and a Jackson Dinky dkxt, as well as a fender deluxe 900 amp, and a Peavey VIP 3 modeling amp. However I am not satisfied. I own a MetalZone boss pedal and an mxr distortion plus pedal. I am looking into other pedals to competely round out my sound but Im not totally sure what brands or where to go for pedals. I was thinking maybe a Chorus and or fuzz box pedal as well as a wah. So my question is what are some of the preferred brands in the guitar community and what should I ultimately stay away from? Thanks guys
What kind if music do you play?

My first thought is sell all your amps and buy a new one.

The vyper is a modeling amp and is not meant to take pedals, it's designed to all ready contain all the effects you need. So buying pedals to run through that amp is basically wasting your money.

Tell us what type of music you play and give a budget and the fine people of UG will recommend an amp that will get you the sound you want. Your amp is one of the most important parts in getting the sound you want.

Starting off with the wrong amp and trying to get it to do something it can't with pedals will be expensive and frustrating.
Well, now that Im finally learning the penatonic scale positions I can start to play slash style riffs. Im pretty big on rock with a mix of blues/jazz and even some metallica. But for the most part I'm really looking for that distortion/fuzz classic rock n roll sound. Considering how much I can get for my two amps would probably determine where Id be amp wise. Kind of went out on a limb for the VIP 3 thinking oh wow so many effects must be awesome, well you cant dial in a specific sound like with pedals and stomp boxes. Assuming I could sell the VIP 3 for 250 and the fender deluxe 900 around 100 or so, I could probably get together 400-450 for an amp.
You should be able to get very close to where you seem to want to be with the VIP 3?

What, specifically, seems to be the issue?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Maybe I havent messed around with it enough, but playing on some of my friends gear, it just seems pedals + a nice amp get that nice crisp clean sound where the vip 3 kind of comes off as this fake wanna be sound that I just cant get over. But i guess I shouldnt have really gotten the amp in the first place considering thats exactly what it is. I was wow'd by all of the effects.
I would assume multi fx pedals have the same kind of fake sound that the vip 3 gives off. I feel like any player thats actually used both could tell the difference. I havent played that long and yet I still know the true power and performance of true pedals alone. Just got myself a crybaby wah off ebay for 40, cant wait to get that.
Before you buy these pedals, figure out how they change your sound. Your Peavey Vypyr should have different effects built in that will give you a good idea of how the real things could sound like. Don't buy pedals for the sake of having pedals. Pedals are effects and people rarely have many of their pedals on at the same time. So figure out what different effects do to your sound.

Fuzz is great for certain kind of fat, buzzy distortion sound that was used a lot in the late 60s. But it does only do one kind of sound that is not useful for everything. Chorus kind of mimics a 12 string guitar/double tracking (it adds another delayed sound that is just slightly out of tune compared to your dry signal which makes you sound a bit fuller. It also adds that kind of "swirly" sound). It works for clean sounds pretty well (especially if you are after 80s style clean sound).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah I'm going to be more of a recreational player and play just because its something I enjoy, not really to gig or anything, however I still do want a well rounded sound. So as far as the pedals go I kind of want pedals to help mimic the songs Im learning such as GNR and Slash, Metallica, Aerosmith stuff like that, however a pedal I saw and heard someone playing that I REALLY liked was the Wampler Velvet fuzz. That just seemed to have the perfect soundset
^ To get the Metallica or GNR or Aerosmith sound, you need the right amp. As Grawgos said "Starting off with the wrong amp and trying to get it to do something it can't with pedals will be expensive and frustrating."

But yeah, if you really like the way the pedal sounded and it inspired you, of course buy it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ To get the Metallica or GNR or Aerosmith sound, you need the right amp. As Grawgos said "Starting off with the wrong amp and trying to get it to do something it can't with pedals will be expensive and frustrating."

But yeah, if you really like the way the pedal sounded and it inspired you, of course buy it.

Well as far as amps go...do you think a cheaper end Marshall that I could find on Craigslist would suffice or?? Not sure how the low end marshall's compare!
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Well as far as amps go...do you think a cheaper end Marshall that I could find on Craigslist would suffice or?? Not sure how the low end marshall's compare!

If you want a cheap Marshall that sounds good, this it what you need a JCM2000 DSL401 and this is only $399

www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-JCM2000-DSL-401-109964093-i3723251.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Can someone identify this Marshall amp?? 230 watt Solid State dude wants $50 for it no issues with it here's the link http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/4510347970.html

NO! Buy the JCM that Rob linked if you're in the US. Good price for a good amp! Hurry up though, if you were about to pay your rent or feed your children, ***k it, thats a killer amp for $400, it'll probably be gone quick.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Can someone identify this Marshall amp?? 230 watt Solid State dude wants $50 for it no issues with it here's the link http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/4510347970.html

thats a MG250DFX..it's not 230w like they posted in the ad...it's 50wX50w..and not near the amp that JCM2000 DSL-401 would be
Last edited by teamscorpions at Jun 24, 2014,
Well how is the sound on it?? I mean for $50 thats gotta be a steal for a Marshall I don't need loud as I only play for a hobby right now I don't have intentions to gig
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Well how is the sound on it?? I mean for $50 thats gotta be a steal for a Marshall I don't need loud as I only play for a hobby right now I don't have intentions to gig

I honestly hate MG's and would never play through one again. If you really need an amp, it will work, but the Marshall JCM I linked is a great amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As of right now I have an MXR Distortion plus pedal, my Crybaby comes in tomorrow, and a Boss metalzone. The reason im considering that Marshall is because you cant beat $50 atleast those are my thoughts. If i can come up with $400 before it sells I probably would buy it, but leaving no room to experiment with more pedals
for $50 get it and try it...if you dont like it resale it on ebay(they going for $175+) or trade it in on the JCM2000 DSL-401...you may can make some $$ on it to help the cost of a better amp....these guys that help on here have WAY more experience than i got at comparing and playing through many different kinda amps so my opinion is only from my MG and i can only compare it on what ive played through...just dont expect anything near a "Marshall sound"
Maybe I should call GC and see what value I could get for my Vip 3 even though its literally like 7 months old and the MG.
Just so you know, Marshal written on the front of an amp doesn't automatically make it good. There are a lot of SS amps out there that are better than those MG's. And why buy that half stack when the DSL will sound 100x better.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I have no idea how those sound so I'm just throwing some ideas out thats all!! I'm going to try to get some money together for the DSL. Theres another dsl on CL around 400 that he said was willing to negotiate.
perfect, just wanted to make sure you knew that, I wouldn't consider those any improvement over your current amps. No sense spending money unless it will actually be an upgrade.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
If you are wanting a pedal friendly amp, Fender Blues Juniors take pedals like a champ (HA pun), and can be had cheap. Then you can focus on various pedals to throw in front of it. Just another option to consider
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'm assuming that awesome priced Marshall isn't just a great amp but takes pedals well too correct?
Ive only played the DSL a few times and didn't get to run any pedals. Someone else will have to answer that. But the core sound the amp has sounded great. If you are wanting to get your dirt from pedals, I might say the Blues Junior could be a better bet, but I've actually owned a couple so Ive had more experience with them. But the DSL has that great Marshal crunch so honestly it depends what you want, hopefully someone can tell about the DSL's ability to handle pedals but most I got to do was run a boost in front
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The DSL takes pedals great and it has a switchable serial/parallel FX loop so it can handle pedals or rack gear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bluestratplayer
If you are wanting a pedal friendly amp, Fender Blues Juniors take pedals like a champ (HA pun), and can be had cheap. Then you can focus on various pedals to throw in front of it. Just another option to consider

Have to agree; love my FBJ.

I quite often take the Dry Out of my final pedal (the Ibby delay) to my bass amp to give the SG a real metal "oomph", but the Jnr on its own, with the pedals you see in my sig, sounds amazing for all non-metal purposes.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
I'm assuming that awesome priced Marshall isn't just a great amp but takes pedals well too correct?

Let's be perfectly clear here. The MG you've been referencing is a piece of shit with "Marshall" stuck on it.

No, seriously.

I've got an MG, I'm not just a hater, I'm a rabid hater. (I have an MG50DFX, the "250" is simply the stereo version with dual amplification circuitry.)

I use mine solely as a PA for backing tracks.

The cleans are passable but sterile, the distortion is pertty much unusable and whomever told you they took pedals well is either deaf or a damn liar.

Not everything that says "Marshall" is usable. Your VIP is a vastly superior amp to the MG.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Oh FFS, just buy the DSL401.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm just a bit partial on buying the DSL401 since I pretty much just bought the VIP 3, just extremely unsatisfied by the hollow sound of it. If I hadn't bought the VIP 3 i wouldnt be as hesitant to buy it. I just need to come up with the money for it. College loans are no joke!
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
I'm just a bit partial on buying the DSL401 since I pretty much just bought the VIP 3, just extremely unsatisfied by the hollow sound of it. If I hadn't bought the VIP 3 i wouldnt be as hesitant to buy it. I just need to come up with the money for it. College loans are no joke!

The DSL401 stomps a mud-hole in the vypyrs ass, reguardless what Peavey vypyr your talking about
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just curious has anyone used the Joyo JF-12 Ultimate Octava fuz/octave pedal? Ive seen some youtube reviews that look pretty good for a $30 pedal just wanted to see if anyones used it
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Just curious has anyone used the Joyo JF-12 Ultimate Octava fuz/octave pedal? Ive seen some youtube reviews that look pretty good for a $30 pedal just wanted to see if anyones used it

supposedly a little iffy. they are cheap. you get what you pay for.

stop trying to put band-aids on a broken leg. save some money up. if you don't like the VIP then sell it.

MG's are shit. don't bother.

save up and look into a DSL
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Trying to save up for the DSL just thinking that it may be gone by the time I sell some stuff so just keeping my horizons open
Two on GC for 400 right now, so you prob have some time
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Page 1 of 2