Does any know if its better to mic a combo amp (like a fender mustang iii v.2 [and ive tried the usb recording feature and it didn't really sound all that well]), buy a desktop processor (like a POD or a boss gt-001), or to use a software (like guitar rig pro 5) for recording stuff like covers or originals songs?
Honestly, it all depends on how you set each method up. I like guitar rig for when I'm writing and need to get things down quick. But out of all those options, I'd probably go with the plugin Amplitube.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Having done all three, I'm a fan of mixing a real amp with a real mic. That said, for a lot of people, including myself at the moment, getting an amp loud and isolated well enough to get a good recording isn't an option. If you have a DAW with amp sims, I'm a big fan of using those, both because they're improving in quality, and because it gives you more flexibility to change the tracks. That said, if you have to pick one or the other, I'd go for the processor, because it's easier to take live, and at this point they probably sound a little more real than the software models.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I mic my amp, but lots in the Recordings forum always use sims.

Go over there & read the stickied threads.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
With that amp, definitely go direct in and don't mic.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.