Some time this summer I hope to upgrade from the practice amp to something with more punch.

I mostly play by myself but jamming with a band on occasion isn't out of the question.

I play all forms of rock but classic metal is near and dear to my heart so I play more of that than anything else i.e. old Metallica , Iron Maiden, etc.

Currently eying a 6505 either in a combo amp or just the head and a 1/2 stack cabinet. I'm wondering what the real down side (if there is one) with a combo amp. I certainly don't think I will ever need the volume that a 120 watt head can deliver but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality either so if spending more will really yield a better sound, that might be the way to go.

From what I've seen, new 6505 combos are around $600, and used heads are around $600+ cabinet. This would probably be the choices I am looking at.
6505s have more of a modern, darker metal sound, but they will work if you're not too picky about how authentic you want to get for older metal.

I would suggest a Marshall JCM 800 with a boost pedal. That should make you very happy for old-school metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I don't know about the 6505 personally, but having owned all manner or combos, heads, and cabs, in general I find a head and 2x12 cab to be my favorite setup. I find a 1x12 combo often doesn't have enough volume and punch, a 2x12 combo can be pretty damn heavy, and I HATE having to haul a 4x12 especially up stairs. I find a 2x12 to have plenty of volume for me, and I was able to afford one with really nice speakers instead of a 4x12 that was just ok.

But all that aside, the 4x12 is just intrinsically the most badass.
If you're mostly by yourself, I think a 1x12 combo would be best. Take a look at the Jet City stuff, see if there are any good deals in your area. I think a 6505 is too modern for old school metal.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by KailM
6505s have more of a modern, darker metal sound, but they will work if you're not too picky about how authentic you want to get for older metal.

I would suggest a Marshall JCM 800 with a boost pedal. That should make you very happy for old-school metal.

This, with an avatar or whitebox 2x12

edit: I meant a JCM800 btw. Wouldn't go with a 6505 for what you want
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jun 23, 2014,
JCA5212 would be a better choice on a budget.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by CL/\SH
This, with an avatar or whitebox 2x12

edit: I meant a JCM800 btw. Wouldn't go with a 6505 for what you want

Interesting thought. I haven't played a 6505 but I was under the impression that it was just a new name for the 5150 which was designed around VH. Interesting that you guys are saying it wouldn't pair well with late 80s metal.

Since I don't know squat about amps though, I'll sit back and listen.
You're right, the 6505 is the 5150 renamed, but personally I think of VH I, VH II, and 1984 as the classic Van Halen tone, and that was through his famed modded-Variac Plexi. The 6505 can pull off classic tones on the green channel, but a Jet City would do it better I encourage you to try all of these amps out if you can.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
yeah the 5150/6505 is more of a later van halen type of sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think of a 6505 for metallica or iron maiden either for that matter. When I think of 80s metal the 800 is just the first amp that comes to mind, with a tubescreamer of course. That being said the head is only one part of the equation to getting those sounds, but it's probably the most important part.

Someone mentioned JCA and that's a much more budget friendly solution; plus those amps sound pretty good given their price. Not nearly as good as an 800 mind you, but still good. I've also had bad experiences with JCA qc, I personally wouldnt buy one of their heads again. Cathbard gave a solid suggestion too
Used Blackstar Stage 60 is great for maiden. Like most amps, you'd probably need to boost it for thrash.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by CL/\SH
Someone mentioned JCA and that's a much more budget friendly solution; plus those amps sound pretty good given their price. Not nearly as good as an 800 mind you, but still good. I've also had bad experiences with JCA qc, I personally wouldnt buy one of their heads again. Cathbard gave a solid suggestion too

He suggested a Jet City...
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
^Lol i just noticed that. For some reason I thought I saw him recommend a different amp. still stand by what I said about Jet City. They sound good but I've just had bad experience with them